Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Platypus' post='580736' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:05 PM']Very nice Steve, you finding much difference in tone between the two?[/quote]

The difference in tone is quite significant; the white bass has a far more darker sound with more pronounced mids. Perhaps the green is more versatile but having said that, either bass is a great example of a super jazz. I wouldn't mind having either in my collection!

The Lakland is trembling. I seriously think that for a jazz bass, you are hard pushed to beat an AC... and I'm not just saying that. They are lovely. The preamps in these things are really, really good and even the passive tone is just spot on.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='580763' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:49 PM']PS check out the second pic. That's birdy in his rock God leather trousers. Crutch shot with gratuitous headstock.

He dressed up especially for the shoot. He's getting changed next door now... and the squeaks are unbearable.[/quote]

LOL

What a beaut. I like these basses aesthetically more than the Sadowsky basses.

I really need to fiddle with one.

[quote name='Platypus' post='580736' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:05 PM']Very nice Steve, you finding much difference in tone between the two?[/quote]

I think Russ has nailed it in his post really, subtle differences more than anything. I gigged with the white one on saturday and the drummer commented that he could hear the bass a lot better which is encouraging. To put it in context I sold a 65 Jazz and with the money bought the Green bass and don't regret it for a second. These LG5 basses are pre CBS fenders with a B string!!!

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='580728' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:50 PM']Here are a few pics courtesy of Russ's camera.[/quote]
An absolutely beautiful bass and some great shots - I was very tempted by an oly white LG4 on TB around a month ago and now think I should have gone for it (oly and tort has a beguiling effect!) Is it a nitro finish on this bass - it appears to be (but of course, it's not easy to tell)?

I've been extremely impressed with Alleva so far - I'm probably getting towards the end of the honeymoon period but really still finding more in the bass. I've not had a chance to compare my Alleva with others, but I'd say it has a dark sound - very full in the lower mids but bright and crisp in the upper mids and highs. Lower mids are much more present than with a '76 Jazz (maple board with a very heavy ash body). I'd concur on the pre - it's very usable and relatively subtle - that said, I use the bass in passive most of the time. It has such a great tone that I just tend to roll off the neck pick up a little and run flat through a db750 (strings are new so I may play around a little more as the brightness diminishes)

[quote name='lozbass' post='581013' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:35 AM']An absolutely beautiful bass and some great shots - I was very tempted by an oly white LG4 on TB around a month ago and now think I should have gone for it (oly and tort has a beguiling effect!) Is it a nitro finish on this bass - it appears to be (but of course, it's not easy to tell)?

I've been extremely impressed with Alleva so far - I'm probably getting towards the end of the honeymoon period but really still finding more in the bass. I've not had a chance to compare my Alleva with others, but I'd say it has a dark sound - very full in the lower mids but bright and crisp in the upper mids and highs. Lower mids are much more present than with a '76 Jazz (maple board with a very heavy ash body). I'd concur on the pre - it's very usable and relatively subtle - that said, I use the bass in passive most of the time. It has such a great tone that I just tend to roll off the neck pick up a little and run flat through a db750 (strings are new so I may play around a little more as the brightness diminishes)[/quote]

Yes Loz the finish on this one is nitro and its starting to age wonderfully. I agree with your comments on the tone above and can only imagine how great yours sounds through a DB750. I run mine through an EBS preamp and love the sounds that are available. Of course I now really want a 4 string version which will be difficult to source and fund :-)

I am over the honeymoon period with my green one and I still love it loads. I bought and sold so many basses that it's great to have finally found one or two that suit me. I loved my Sadowskies and Celinders but these AC's just work better for what I want to sound like.

[quote name='birdy' post='581116' date='Aug 26 2009, 10:49 AM']Yes Loz the finish on this one is nitro and its starting to age wonderfully. I agree with your comments on the tone above and can only imagine how great yours sounds through a DB750. I run mine through an EBS preamp and love the sounds that are available. Of course I now really want a 4 string version which will be difficult to source and fund :-)

I am over the honeymoon period with my green one and I still love it loads. I bought and sold so many basses that it's great to have finally found one or two that suit me. I loved my Sadowskies and Celinders but these AC's just work better for what I want to sound like.[/quote]

It's looking good - the paint is beginning to discolour in that nitro way. The camera doesn't really catch the true colour as the flash was needed because it had long since gone dark! But yeah, it defo looks cool. The fingerboard is nice too - again, as has been stated, I don't know whether it is worth the premium but it did feel very nice to play on. We didn't test the two ACs side by side but from what I remember, this one does sound significantly different - as has been stated, this white one is a lot darker in tone... but having said that, it would slap out nice with a bit of top on the pre.

I want one.

It was interesting plugging in the GBs after the AC. Like chalk and cheese!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='581124' date='Aug 26 2009, 10:58 AM']It's looking good - the paint is beginning to discolour in that nitro way. The camera doesn't really catch the true colour as the flash was needed because it had long since gone dark! But yeah, it defo looks cool. The fingerboard is nice too - again, as has been stated, I don't know whether it is worth the premium but it did feel very nice to play on. We didn't test the two ACs side by side but from what I remember, this one does sound significantly different - as has been stated, this white one is a lot darker in tone... but having said that, it would slap out nice with a bit of top on the pre.

I want one.

It was interesting plugging in the GBs after the AC. Like chalk and cheese![/quote]

Without derailing the thread your three GB's were all noticeably different in look, tone and feel !

[quote name='birdy' post='581150' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:19 AM']Without derailing the thread your three GB's were all noticeably different in look, tone and feel ![/quote]

Yup - all due to slight differences in the preamp, the through necks vs bolt on and wood!

Anyway back on topic, I'm still intrigued by the ACs active bass boost control - it definately has an agressive shelf thing going on - it would be interesting to see if that pot is a log pot or a linear pot! Either way, it works well.

[quote name='Toasted' post='581167' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:31 AM']At least it's not as bad as the elrick bondage paddle headstock.[/quote]

Am I being controversial when I say "Wal 4 string headstock". So wrong... especially when the 5 is quite nice.

I feel a spin off thread coming on... "grim headstocks"

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='581182' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:45 AM']Am I being controversial when I say "Wal 4 string headstock". So wrong... especially when the 5 is quite nice.[/quote]

I'm with you on this, I find the AC headstocks bearable on the 5 strings, but utterly ridiculous on the 4's!

Beautiful basses none the less!

Si

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='581162' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:26 AM']...and another thing. AC quite possibly has the nicest headstock logo ever.... although I know there are a few people out there who cant get past the physical shape of the headstock itself.[/quote]

I must admit it is possibly the most "unfinished" looking design i have ever seen on a high end bass.

Anyone have a comprehensive view on the difference between an LG and a 1600?

AC site says the 1600 is more 'modern' but not entirely sure what that means?

Body shape doesn't seem to have the more angular 'modern' look that Sadowsky use to differentiate between their classic & modern styles?

[quote name='molan' post='586169' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:41 PM']....Anyone have a comprehensive view on the difference between an LG and a 1600? AC site says the 1600 is more 'modern' but not entirely sure what that means? Body shape doesn't seem to have the more angular 'modern' look that Sadowsky use to differentiate between their classic & modern styles?....[/quote]
This is a quote from Talkbass:
[list]
[*]LG... classic 60's type J Bass spec... alder/RW/60's pickup position.
[*]LM... classic later 70's J Bass spec... ash/maple/70's pickup position
[*]RA.... a transitional spec inspired by and loosely based on early 70's J models... alder body, maple board with high gloss finish and blocks and binding, 70's pickup position
[*]1600.... basically a fancy top with about any spec you want regarding body wood, fretboard and pickup placement
[*]KBP..... passive P Bass
[/list]

[quote name='chris_b' post='586207' date='Sep 1 2009, 01:40 AM']This is a quote from Talkbass:
[list]
[*]LG... classic 60's type J Bass spec... alder/RW/60's pickup position.
[*]LM... classic later 70's J Bass spec... ash/maple/70's pickup position
[*]RA.... a transitional spec inspired by and loosely based on early 70's J models... alder body, maple board with high gloss finish and blocks and binding, 70's pickup position
[*]1600.... basically a fancy top with about any spec you want regarding body wood, fretboard and pickup placement
[*]KBP..... passive P Bass
[/list][/quote]

Perfect - thanks for that :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Toasted' post='579943' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:31 AM'][url="http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574790&highlight=sadowsky"]http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t...hlight=sadowsky[/url]

Check out that beauty :)[/quote]

I see this one is marked as 'sold pending'

EDIT - and here's its 4 string cousin previously owned by the same seller :rolleyes:

Wonder who bought it and whether it might be heading over to the UK as well?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by molan