Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='norwood-1' post='1299597' date='Jul 11 2011, 08:42 AM']Do you know where is possible to find a AC 4st used?[/quote]
BassDirect and BassGear each have a 4-string AC in stock (BassGear has Jazz and Precision types and at sale prices)

• 11 months later...

Anyone compared an AC to an AV bass, ive tried the AV bass's and i know there's one at bass gear and all the ones ive tried have been top notch and also worth the hefty price. Its just the headstocks are quiet similar and reckon some of the ergonomics might be as well.

AV's come passive as standard - AC's can be whatever you want them to be :)

Personally I think Jimmy C's active circuit is one of the very best around. Really musical & rich, very difficult to get a bad sound from one. Unless you have massive bass & treble boost the switch between active & passive is quite balanced on the AC's as well. The passive sound is very nice, it's not just an 'emergency' standby switch for when your batteries fail.

I've played both and my personal preference is towards AC. The really nice AC's are pretty much the best Fender style basses around. Jimmy's 'winning' hand is that he makes three core basses that capture classic Fender sounds:

LG - Alder bodied '60's
RA - Alder bodied early '70's
LM - Ash bodied late '70's

But all of them in 5 string formats (for no premium on a 4!).

His 4's sound great as well but it's the ability to get a great vintage sound in a 5 string that has made his name.

I like the AV basses but they sound more 'modern' to me. They can still cop a good vintage feel but not quite to the same degree that Jimmy manages. Mind you, Jimmy charges a fair bit more for his basses these days and his wait list is getting ever longer.

One thing I would say to watch out for on AC's is that Jimmy sometimes experiments with things that don't always come off. His classic LG/RA/LM are almost all dead certs to be nice, some of the others are also very good but need to be properly tried out before buying :)

• 9 months later...

[quote name='dafonky' timestamp='1365233214' post='2036931']
BassGear in UK? and BassDirect ? Can't find it....
[/quote]
Updated:
Bassgear.co.uk are the people to talk to. However, though as Barrie says in the following post, they don't have any in stock just now

Edited by Platypus

No AC's in stock at BassGear at the moment. Sold an RA4, an LG4 and a KBP4 in the last couple of months and that depleted the whole stock :(

Next in will be a new LG5 - built along the lines of a '66 with bound neck & dots, olympic white with matching headstock :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1365238172' post='2036984']
No AC's in stock at BassGear at the moment. Sold an RA4, an LG4 and a KBP4 in the last couple of months and that depleted the whole stock :(

Next in will be a new LG5 - built along the lines of a '66 with bound neck & dots, olympic white with matching headstock :)
[/quote]
Sounds like Paul Turners don't suppose you know how much it will cost?

[quote name='james' timestamp='1365486300' post='2040119']
Sounds like Paul Turners don't suppose you know how much it will cost?
[/quote]

Don't have a price on this yet :(

[quote name='dafonky' timestamp='1366129597' post='2048742']
Ok

I would like to have an LM 4-string, ASH, but with a Rosewood neck instead of the maple neck .....

did you ever see such an AC bass ?

I would trade for sth else or pay cash for a second hand one.....
[/quote]

Jimmy will make an LM bass with a rosewood board but I've never seen one. Everyone seems to go for the 'snap' of ash / maple on the LM series.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooh ooh! I love these basses. Totally beautiful feel and finish. The sound is huge, great for gigging live - clear round ballsy tone when you want it, gruff funk or jaco honk when required.

Here is mine!

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/ilipz9.jpg[/IMG]