Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Gwilym' post='645902' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:50 AM']... I don't believe you - got to be the amp :)[/quote]

I did A/B the amp and the little Sadowsky pre - the Sad was sooo much nicer than the Ashdown!

Next week i'm gonna take one of my Berg cabs and see how a single 1x12 compares to the Ashdown 4x10 + 1x15 combintion. . .

Thanks for a great review - this accords really strongly with my own experience and opinion (except the bits relating to playing in a band situation - I never do so can't comment). Playability is superb and the tones from the on-board pre are really usable - I've found changes to be fairly subtle. I've been experimenting with cutting both mids and treble and emphasising bass a little on the amp - a ul502 (with the onboard pre just about centred for B&T). With a bit of cut on the neck pickup, the Jazz has incredibly heft and fullness but retains great clarity and note definition (I think it would still cut through nicely with a band)

[quote name='molan' post='646051' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:26 AM']Next week i'm gonna take one of my Berg cabs and see how a single 1x12 compares to the Ashdown 4x10 + 1x15 combintion. . .[/quote]

Isn't that a little bit like comparing a horse and a truck? lol
Depends what you wanna do! You wouldn't take a 1x12 on a stadium tour for example :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='646117' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:33 AM']Isn't that a little bit like comparing a horse and a truck? lol
Depends what you wanna do! You wouldn't take a 1x12 on a stadium tour for example :)

Si[/quote]

Totally agree - that's what I'm really intrigued to try out, lol.

I happily run a pair of 12's to gig with. I have no idea why a rehearsal room would want a 4x10 & a 1x15. The money they spent on this would have been far better used on something more suited to the room but of higher quality than an Ashdown Mag system.

I guess some people love the idea of a big rig for rehearsing though - The guitar amp is a Marshall half stack as well!

[quote name='molan' post='646121' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:37 AM']I have no idea why a rehearsal room would want a 4x10 & a 1x15. The money they spent on this would have been far better used on something more suited to the room but of higher quality than an Ashdown Mag system.

I guess some people love the idea of a big rig for rehearsing though - The guitar amp is a Marshall half stack as well![/quote]

I definitly agree with that!
I guess a lot of it is having a system in the room that joe bloggs recognises and is cheap and easy to replace/fix.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='646135' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:56 AM']I definitly agree with that!
I guess a lot of it is having a system in the room that joe bloggs recognises and is cheap and easy to replace.

Si[/quote]

I reckon sometimes it's simply that some people jsut want to see big old 'pro' looking rig in a rehearsal room. I've been to so many that have 300w+ bass rigs & 100w valve guitar stacks & everyone's cranking them up!

[quote name='Platypus' post='646753' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:10 PM']Silver Fox with A/C alert :)

came across this on YouTube:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/roosjeetje#p/a/u/2/AzCV5ntbDWM"]http://www.youtube.com/user/roosjeetje#p/a/u/2/AzCV5ntbDWM[/url][/quote]

Some good playing in the various bass extracts here :rolleyes:

I can't work out who the bass man actually is though - Paddy someone?

Roger Happel is a keyboard player & singer as far as I know (I've heard of him working with Candy Dulfer).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='birdy' post='655626' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:49 AM']Never mind Prefab Sprout where are the pics??? And Are you in agreement that these basses cannot be bettered :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yeah...come on Molan, we're all waiting patiently :)

I managed to spend half an hour with the LG4 yesterday and was - again - blown away. For what these are (essentially, Fender clones), I'd be surprised to find anything better. The Celinder is due on Wednesday...we'll see...

Guys.... for the Alleva Owners out there,

now you've had your bass for a while has the usual "novelty factor" of your new prized posession begun to wear off ?

I'm looking for something wonderful for my 40th and just wondered if the fuss about Jimmy's basses was justified ?

ATB
Mark

I have to say that my AC has really made me re-appraise what I'm looking for in a bass.

It's not the most stunning bass I've owned to look at - in fact I still struggle a bit with the headstock and, in my personal casen sunburst isn't my favourite finish.

However I do think it just 'works' better than anything I've owned.

My only current reservation is that I haven't had a chance yet to play it back to back against my favourite Spector.

It's also made me think more about my Overwater J - a very fine bass indeed.

The OW compares very favourably with the AC - certainly if you take the relative costs into accout.

I'm woondering a different pre in the OW would bring it even closer. I have an Audere kicking around which might give me some different options to the J-Retro it currently has.

[quote name='molan' post='664350' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:00 PM']It's not the most stunning bass I've owned to look at - in fact I still struggle a bit with the headstock and, in my personal casen sunburst isn't my favourite finish.

However I do think it just 'works' better than anything I've owned.[/quote]
Really good points that marry with my own experience. Choice of finish is very personal (my AC is sunburst - it's one of three 'burst basses that I own and I'm not a big fan - my partner calls it 'alsatian' finish???) Also, the headstock shape is certainly not to everyone's taste - mine included (though I think the mass in the headstock serves a useful function). The real issue with the AC is 'does it work', and the answer is a resounding yes. Comfort, tone and playability are stunning - it even sounds enormous unplugged. The Alleva is the kind of bass that I can't wait to get my hands on - three months on from receiving it, I still get home excited about having a chance to play

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BossHog' post='675184' date='Dec 5 2009, 07:02 PM'][attachment=37768:030.JPG]

LM5 Custom. Ash, Maple Block and Bound. Root Beer 70's peroid finish. Killer.[/quote]

Sweet bass - looks great with that Root Beer and Maple board + blocks. As far as I know thats the first LM5 in UK

[quote name='Platypus' post='675216' date='Dec 5 2009, 07:50 PM']Sweet bass - looks great with that Root Beer and Maple board + blocks. As far as I know thats the first LM5 in UK[/quote]
Thanks, had it since May. They really are amazing basses and a great fella to deal with.