Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Clarky' post='596372' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:04 AM']Pretty ... but thats two different basses in the pics! One's a fiver and the other's a four :)[/quote]
Well spotted - that's seriously weird. I think that four is my bass (but it's not my sofa)...yep, just checked. It is mine. Tommix may have confused his pics (or there could be a stranger explanation)

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='596376' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:09 AM']Well spotted - that's seriously weird. I think that four is my bass (but it's not my sofa)...yep, just checked. It is mine. Tommix may have confused his pics (or there could be a stranger explanation)[/quote]

It's not Tom's fault - it's mine :lol:

I was randomly looking at pics of his basses and took the first ones to be the 5 that was up for sale and then spotted some more sunburst pics later in his collection so just stuck one of those in as well!

The 4 is probably yours Lawrence as it's an older picture :)

I see Tom lives in North Carolina and one of us is due to go touring the Carolinas and Georgia next week, maybe he'll pick it up whilst he's there :rolleyes:

[quote name='birdy' post='599716' date='Sep 15 2009, 10:57 PM']Did anyone on here buy Tommix's LG5? He said it's heading across the pond to the UK!!

Looks like a real beauty as well.

Steve[/quote]

You're not very good at interpreting subtle hints you lot :)

The answer is yes :rolleyes:

I missed the subtlety of the 'LG5 on its way to blighty' post (I put it down to being mesmerised by the images of another stunning Alleva). I'm sure you'll love it Molan - Tommix is a man of considerable taste! I gave very serious thought to going for this but as it's a five it would have been pointless (lovely to look at though).

[quote name='molan' post='599752' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:24 PM']You're not very good at interpreting subtle hints you lot :)

The answer is yes :rolleyes:[/quote]
Perhaps you could bring it along to the next home game at the Emirates and lend it to me for a few weeks :lol:

I would buy you a Chicken Strips and chips meal deal by way of thank you ....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Flanker2' post='611112' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:45 PM']Molan

Is it here yet???

I played Birdy's 'new' jazz on Sunday and it is fantastic - I want one!

Has he come clean about which bass it is yet?[/quote]

I think Barrie's with it rather than it being here as I believe he is over in the States and picking up whilst there although I could be wrong!!

PS Its your fault I have just bought a P bass :) Not sure it will be any match for your AC however.

Flankers Alleva is absolutely stunning in the flesh - very classy!!

Steve

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Flanker2' post='611112' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:45 PM']Molan

Is it here yet???

I played Birdy's 'new' jazz on Sunday and it is fantastic - I want one!

Has he come clean about which bass it is yet?[/quote]

It's finally arriving on Monday!

I missed the deadline by about 30 minutes to get it today & didn't want to pay the extra £12 to have it delivered tomorrow, lol.

It's taken an age to get here - was posted in the US on about 10th October!

[quote name='Toasted' post='641180' date='Oct 30 2009, 03:12 PM']What's it coming by? Seagull? :)[/quote]

I reckon it actually arrived in the UK a while ago but ParcelFarce have only just got round to telling me about it (and asking for their £8 clearance fee!).

[quote name='molan' post='641171' date='Oct 30 2009, 03:03 PM']I...didn't want to pay the extra £12 to have it delivered tomorrow, lol.[/quote]

I see where you're coming from, wouldn't want to bump the price of the bass up to silly money! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='641216' date='Oct 30 2009, 03:46 PM']I see where you're coming from, wouldn't want to bump the price of the bass up to silly money! :)

Si[/quote]

Good point Si - adding £12 to the overall price wouldn't actually have made the smallest difference to the overall cost!

It's arrived!

Turned up yesterday and the box was really rattling around - I was seriously worried that something might have been damaged but it was just one of the latches on the case that had opened.

It arrived strung with a set of flats (which I never play) but even these sounded really nice. A lot more punch & growl than any bass I've tried with flats on.

I swapped them out for a brand new set of Elixirs & it's just lovely to play. The different strings made it a little buzzy so needs some fettling but I've got rehearsal tonight so will try it out there.

It's in much better condition than it looks in the pics too - I'll try to get some new pics done at the weekend :)

Hi All,

Well - first thoughts are very encouraging!

I arrived back pretty late last night so just grabbed the bass & used the studio amp (which I hate!). It's an Ashdown Mag 300 with a matching 4x10 & a small 1x15 extension cab. Way too bog for a small rehearsal space really. I did bypass the front end of the amp by using my Sadowsky pre-amp pedal (with tone controls set flat) running into the effects return.

The core sound was really nice, all the band immediately commented on how much more punch & clarity it had than my MTD535 which I'd used at the previous rehearsal (albeit running through the Ashdown's rather 'murky' pre-amp).

Thea biggest difference for me in 'everyday' use was the useable range of tones from onboard the bass. I set the trebel & bass around mid way & used the master tone control to soften things out for older style stuff or sharpen the tone for more modern songs.

I also played with the pickup mix a fair bit & this is something I hardly ever do. I've tended to find that bridge pickup solo sounds are too thin for me and/or I've had to use a lot of eq to get a sound I like. However the bridge either solo or with a strong bias sounded really nice & cut through the mix really well. I actually found myself subtly playing with the neck pickup volume as the core tonal adjustment for different song styles.

To be honest I've generally just picked a sound & stuck with it in the past & just moved my hand around to vary tones. I was also 'testing' the variations last night so probably wouldn't change stuff as much on a regular gig or rehearsal.

The other big difference was that I almost always cut mids on my amp to get a sound I'm really happy with. I simply didn't need to dot his with the AC & I'm guessing this would hel improve overall bass definition at a live gig.

I found it very easy to play as well, definiteyl allowed me to try stuff I would never normally play or would maybe stumble over. This even included using some slap parts in rock songs, lol. I NEVER do this normally and my slap technique is dreadful, I'm always leaving strings ringing. However the AC just seemed to 'work' really well on this sort of stuff & was a lot of fun to play on the umpteenth run through of the same song, lol.

Weight & general feel was great as well. Maybe not as light as the MTD but not a huge difference & absolutely a good gigging bass. Neck felt vaguely wide at first but I that seemed to disappear as soon as I started playing. I could really feel the difference in the 34" scale as well, easier to play without losing any definition. Didn't use the B all that much as the songs didn't desperately need it but I did swap a few song positions around to give it a try & wasn't aware of any issues by having a slightly shorter scale.

Everyone in the band said it looked really classy as well - surprising in a way as it's effectively just a J bass in a sunburst finish & the MTD they'd seen before has a flamed & spalted maple top. Maybe they are more 'traditionalist', lol.

Will report back on more stuff soon & get some pics taken :)

Sounds like you have picked up *another* nice bass :)

but...

[quote name='molan' post='645184' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:00 PM']all the band immediately commented on how much more punch & clarity it had than my MTD535 which I'd used at the previous rehearsal (albeit running through the Ashdown's rather 'murky' pre-amp).[/quote]

... I don't believe you - got to be the amp :rolleyes: