Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='lozbass' post='564737' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:18 AM']Absolutely lovely LM5 Bugbass - the black and maple is just a classic combination!

I notice you appear to have the original strap pins on the bass - I don't know if you intend to change them, but if so, just a quick warning. My AC arrived with Dunlop straplocks installed. I marginally prefer the Schaller system but when I tried to swap the Dunlop for Shaller pins at the weekend, I discovered that the screws for the Dunlops are much wider than those for the Schaller and thus can't be used to secure the latter. I've retained the Dunlops - not a big deal but worth bearing in mind.[/quote]

Thanks! And thanks for the warning too, I was acually thinking about intalling a Schaller system.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Flanker2' post='579846' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:59 AM']He's just being modest about his latest and probably greatest acquisition. :rolleyes:

I'm just jealous![/quote]

Aren't we all. There's some cool shots of the former owner with it out and about on the net.

I'm checking it out tonight... should be good. I'll take my camera :)

[quote name='Flanker2' post='564747' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:30 AM']Bugbass that is a beauty! I'm a fan of maple fingerboards and they are relatively rare in AC's.

Here's a pic of my KBP5

[/quote]
I have to say that is the only bass that I have ever really liked the look of with an Antigua-burst (or whatever its called) finish. Absolute beauty!

[quote name='Toasted' post='579943' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:31 AM'][url="http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574790&highlight=sadowsky"]http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t...hlight=sadowsky[/url]

Check out that beauty :)[/quote]
Tommix has had some of the most desirable ACs (well, to be honest, they're all pretty desirable) - a very nice guy. My LG4 (photos on p5 above) was originally owned by him but he moved it on to get the LG5 - fortunately, the 4 isn't wearing some of the scrapes that the 5 appears to have (not that it's a big issue - this is sure to be an incredible bass) If you have a look around TB, there's a stunning AC LG4 in Sonic Blue for sale - I got into advanced negotiations on purchase but with tax and duty, the price was getting towards that of a new bass (I'd still love it though and the DN is now exhausted)

[quote name='Toasted' post='580097' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:30 PM']Not sure I buy into the $1500 fingerboard hype, but I'd like to try an AC.[/quote]
Hmmm...it looks lovely and smells nice but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $1500 to buy one from new either (it's not an issue really as there's none left)

Edit: should've said if you find yourself on the other side of the Pennines, you're welcome to try mine in Manchester

Edited by lozbass

The new one I have acquired has the Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and it is definately a darker sounding bass than the one with the Indian Rosewood board although I agree that $1500 is probably wayyyy to much.
The only problem now is I want a 4 string Jazz and Flankers P Bass. GAS where will it end.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='580127' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:50 PM']The new one I have acquired has the Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and it is definately a darker sounding bass than the one with the Indian Rosewood board although I agree that $1500 is probably wayyyy to much.
The only problem now is I want a 4 string Jazz and Flankers P Bass. GAS where will it end.

Steve[/quote]

I'll get the breadknife out, we'll soon replace that for you.

Interestingly enough, Brazillian Rosewood is now on the USA prohibited export list...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='lozbass' post='580116' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:45 PM']Hmmm...it looks lovely and smells nice but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $1500 to buy one from new either (it's not an issue really as there's none left)

Edit: should've said if you find yourself on the other side of the Pennines, you're welcome to try mine in Manchester[/quote]

Thank you. I will PM you post haste to set something up. Thanks :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='579943' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:31 AM'][url="http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574790&highlight=sadowsky"]http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t...hlight=sadowsky[/url]

Check out that beauty :)[/quote]

Indeed..... great pic..

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='580197' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:50 PM']Interestingly enough, Brazillian Rosewood is now on the USA prohibited export list...[/quote]
This is true, however, the Brazillian Rosewood that Jimmy Coppolo was using is 'old cut, old growth' - he indicates this on the neck with his signature. Essentially, Jimmy aims to use aged and very high quality timbers. His Brazillian Rosewood (Dalbergia Negra) was very old - around 30 years I think - and was cut prior to the current prohibition. I think the rarity and prohibitions add to the cost - I did a bit of research and Jimmy is not alone in charging around $1500 for a DN board: a few other high-end guitar builders - electric and acoustic - charge a similar amount (if they have DN in stock).

[quote name='lozbass' post='580342' date='Aug 25 2009, 03:43 PM']This is true, however, the Brazillian Rosewood that Jimmy Coppolo was using is 'old cut, old growth' - he indicates this on the neck with his signature. Essentially, Jimmy aims to use aged and very high quality timbers. His Brazillian Rosewood (Dalbergia Negra) was very old - around 30 years I think - and was cut prior to the current prohibition. I think the rarity and prohibitions add to the cost - I did a bit of research and Jimmy is not alone in charging around $1500 for a DN board: a few other high-end guitar builders - electric and acoustic - charge a similar amount (if they have DN in stock).[/quote]

Yup - I wasn't questioning his use of it... just pointing out if there are any billets anywhere, it's going to be nigh on impossible to get it imported!

[quote]I have to say that is the only bass that I have ever really liked the look of with an Antigua-burst (or whatever its called) finish. Absolute beauty![/quote]

Cheers Clarky!

I'm the same, I don't like the green antigua but this one is much more grey and I love the look.

Apart from its looks it really is a great bass.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='580393' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:30 PM']Yup - I wasn't questioning his use of it... just pointing out if there are any billets anywhere, it's going to be nigh on impossible to get it imported![/quote]
Yeah, this is intriguing - I've not looked at the detail of the current US legislation - maybe it's legal to import old growth, old cut (just not new cut, new growth) Donning anorak...I believe that some companies are actually going back to the stumps of the DN trees that were cut down decades ago and trying to harvest further timber by cutting down into what remains of the trunk. Again, I'm not sure about the legality of importing timber so recovered, but I'm told that some guitar/bass builders are using the stuff and charging (serious) premium prices