Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

Thanks for the comments all.

[quote name='lozbass' post='540124' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:57 AM']Whooaahh! Platypus, that is stunning - is it one of the Dalbergia Negra boards that Jimmy was supplying in 2008?[/quote]

Lozbass, The board is Bacote, known as Mexican Rosewood.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='birdy' post='556742' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:44 AM']I am still loving mine :-)

How are all of the other recent owners getting on? Still in the honeymoon period guys?

Steve[/quote]

Couldn't be happier with mine :) Expect it plays a little different to yours, as it has the spalted maple top, pickups in 70's position and a different (3 band) pre.
I've either sold or am in process of selling my other basses - soon will just have the Coppolo 5 and a very nice Celinder jazz 4 fretless, I recently aquired from Danish basschatter Batukarma

Paul

Some (rather weak) images of mine - I'll try to do better later in the week if the sun comes out.

The spec is as an LG4 Classic Supreme (but I think it was just known as a 'Standard' when it was built). The bass is around 9 months old and apparently is the last bass built in the NY shop before the move to California. It's a nitro finish with a Dalbergia Negra board. I'll get a review up and comparison with a couple of other Jazzes when I have a chance.

Edited by lozbass

Hi and thanks, just a micro-review and some comments on tone:

Build quality and finish are just superb - exactly what you'd expect in this segment of the market (the burst is really lovely in the flesh)

Playability - action is very low and this is probably the fastest bass I have (for both left and right hands) - playing is genuinely effortless and I've found myself pulling-off lines (evenly for me!) that I really couldn't get on other basses

Feel - this bass feels (spookily) played-in, very much like a really old Fender right from the off - it's large but light and sits into the body extremely neatly. The bass feels 'alive'. It's very comfortable both sitting and standing. The neck is shallow and thin but feels substantial - it's not as skinny at the bottom end as some '70s Jazzers

Tone - the bass is surprisingly loud when unplugged. Notes leap off the board in a way that I've only experienced previously with an Alembic. There are no dead or dull spots - this is genuinely the first time I've come across this with a Fender-style bass. Volume of notes is entirely even across strings and the board as a whole - again a revelation in a Fender-style bass. The bass is also surprisingly loud when amplified. In passive it sounds like a '60s Jazz (with a little more zing and aggression - fundamental and overtones are amazingly complex). In active, it sounds huge - it retains a characteristic jazz tone, plenty of honk and growl, but with a power and clarity that will cut through any mix.

There have been only a few occasions on which I've acquired a bass and then thought 'I'd have another of these' immediately. Acquiring the Alleva has been one of those occasions. I'll post a full review and some better images as soon as possible.

[quote name='lozbass' post='558662' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:49 PM']Some (rather weak) images of mine - I'll try to do better later in the week if the sun comes out.

The spec is as an LG4 Classic Supreme (but I think it was just known as a 'Standard' when it was built). The bass is around 9 months old and apparently is the last bass built in the NY shop before the move to California. It's a nitro finish with a Dalbergia Negra board. I'll get a review up and comparison with a couple of other Jazzes when I have a chance.[/quote]

Congrats on this one Loz, looks like a real beauty!! Is that the one from Talkbass that used to belong to Tommix? Looks like it may be. I bet it sounds fantastic :-)

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks - you're right - this is one of two almost identical basses originally owned by Tommix (he had two 4 strings with DN boards). This is the second - the first had a burst that had been shot by Jimmy's ex-Fender spray-guy and has the best 3TS finish I've ever seen. This second bass is really not far behind in the finish stakes (my images really can't do it justice) and is reported to be the better player. If it isn't, then I'd love to play the other one! I've played a lot of Jazz basses in the past 30+ years (from very old vintages, through CS and Masterbuilt into contemporary and super Js) - the Alleva is genuinely a real standout

[quote name='lozbass' post='559042' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:47 AM']There have been only a few occasions on which I've acquired a bass and then thought 'I'd have another of these' immediately.[/quote]

Noticed your PM today on that other Coppolo :)

Absolutely lovely LM5 Bugbass - the black and maple is just a classic combination!

I notice you appear to have the original strap pins on the bass - I don't know if you intend to change them, but if so, just a quick warning. My AC arrived with Dunlop straplocks installed. I marginally prefer the Schaller system but when I tried to swap the Dunlop for Shaller pins at the weekend, I discovered that the screws for the Dunlops are much wider than those for the Schaller and thus can't be used to secure the latter. I've retained the Dunlops - not a big deal but worth bearing in mind.