Why become a member? ×

Sacked..............

yorick

[quote name='misrule' post='500916' date='May 29 2009, 01:56 PM']Sing along now ...

Oh ... she's a slag and he's a creep
She's a tart, he's very cheap
She is a sl*t, he thinks he's tough
She is a b***h, he is a puff
Yeah yeah, it's not fair
Yeah yeah, it's not fair :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

You censor "slut" and "bitch" with [i]that[/i] cartoon in your sig?
:rolleyes:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='501116' date='May 29 2009, 05:12 PM']Steve Lawson's got the right idea.[/quote]
I think he tried to fire himself via text once, but then he agreed to meet himself at a neutral pub to try to iron out both his difficulties. It's all sorted now.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='501153' date='May 29 2009, 06:23 PM']Who/what is that about?[/quote]

Steve Lawson, solo bass player - so he's only got himself to sack - though he's gigging a lot with Mrs Lawson now, so it's a little more complicated :)

[quote name='Rich' post='501142' date='May 29 2009, 05:50 PM']I think he tried to fire himself via text once, but then he agreed to meet himself at a neutral pub to try to iron out both his difficulties. It's all sorted now.[/quote]

I think I should meet myself at a neutral pub and have a word :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='501113' date='May 29 2009, 05:08 PM']You censor "slut" and "bitch" with [i]that[/i] cartoon in your sig?
:)[/quote]
I thought the website censor-robot would change them to something stupid.

I am slightly surprised the mods never challenged the cartoon. I'm happy to photoshop it -- but nobody seems to be outraged. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP, I'd say I'm glad I was sacked from my last outfit. They kept their egos and drugs and I moved on to a band I really enjoy.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='501300' date='May 29 2009, 10:52 PM']I am slightly surprised the mods never challenged the cartoon. I'm happy to photoshop it -- but nobody seems to be outraged. :)[/quote]

PM'd re sig.

Alas poor Yorick indeed!

Let’s get this right, you’ve actually been sacked from a Van Halen tribute band fronted by Rocky Shades (whom I once had the honour of supporting once in the 80s – one of the most hilarious nights of my musical career)!

Respect! Either you are the worst musician in the world (which I seriously doubt because I refuse to believe that anyone can be worse than Rocky Shades) or it is the ultimate backhanded compliment – in that RS would not know a decent player if he tripped over one, which from what I remember would probably not be such a good idea seeing as he jumped off stage to beat up a punter when we played with him!!

Life's sh*t sometimes yorick, but there's always a gig if you look around. Go to it! :rolleyes:

All this reminiscing reminds me of the last time I had to tell someone they were sacked...

Was at the house of a friend of a friend, I mentioned I play bass (as you do) and was asked to dep for a gig. It was all MOR stuff, nothing too taxing so I agreed. It went well but after the gig I was approached by the ex-bassist bitching about me pinching his place. Apparently no one bothered to tell him that he's sacked and was a little pissed off when he went to the pub and saw his band with a new bassist. :D :) It probably doesn't come as a supprise to hear that I politely turned down the offer of a permanent spot. :lol:

[quote name='Rich' post='501142' date='May 29 2009, 05:50 PM']I think he tried to fire himself via text once, but then he agreed to meet himself at a neutral pub to try to iron out both his difficulties. It's all sorted now.[/quote]

I'm glad to hear he's talking to himself again

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='501083' date='May 29 2009, 04:27 PM']There are usually 2 reasons for being sacked...from a band made up of mature, professionally minded musicians IMO.

I was 'sacked' from a band for not being committed enough, and that was after I turned a gig down at the Canadian Grand Prix, because I'd already committed to the gigs with the band that ultimately sacked me.

I was definately musically up to the job, having been told so by the band after I learnt the entire set before the first audition/rehearsal...I noticed the replacement didn't do that...And even after they ignored me at gigs, and onstage because I couldn't afford to drive an extra hundred miles collecting PA, aswell as storing it, and taking responsibility for its replacement if it was stolen (it wasn't insured - they refused to do this), I still refused to act unprofessionally, being nothing but polite, helpful, arriving and setting up on time and keeping out of the way of any trouble they wanted to cause.

The truth is that some people aren't mature - they're no more mature than the average 2 year old...They are cowards.

Just to be clear, this was a band in which my opinion had no effect - it wasn't a democracy where people can suggest things. There were no band meetings and the name of the band was the singer/guitarist's name.

But you are right about it building up for a while...I've learnt my lesson and I've moved onto bigger and better things because of it! :)[/quote]

+1

Again, bands with friends are far better.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='501083' date='May 29 2009, 04:27 PM']There are usually 2 reasons for being sacked...from a band made up of mature, professionally minded musicians IMO.

I was 'sacked' from a band for not being committed enough, and that was after I turned a gig down at the Canadian Grand Prix, because I'd already committed to the gigs with the band that ultimately sacked me.

I was definately musically up to the job, having been told so by the band after I learnt the entire set before the first audition/rehearsal...I noticed the replacement didn't do that...And even after they ignored me at gigs, and onstage because I couldn't afford to drive an extra hundred miles collecting PA, aswell as storing it, and taking responsibility for its replacement if it was stolen (it wasn't insured - they refused to do this), I still refused to act unprofessionally, being nothing but polite, helpful, arriving and setting up on time and keeping out of the way of any trouble they wanted to cause.

The truth is that some people aren't mature - they're no more mature than the average 2 year old...They are cowards.

Just to be clear, this was a band in which my opinion had no effect - it wasn't a democracy where people can suggest things. There were no band meetings and the name of the band was the singer/guitarist's name.

But you are right about it building up for a while...I've learnt my lesson and I've moved onto bigger and better things because of it! :)[/quote]

+1

Again, bands with friends are far better.

That's a bummer but I'd say you're better off without them. I assume they're not professional so, in that case, at least 50% of the reason for being in a band should be the enjoyment of being with the other musicians. If they can pull a stunt like that (Ritchie Blackmore, Rod Evans and Nick Simper spring to mind here) You don't need it. Find a band where you all enjoy the music, each other's company and put people first. Fair enough if you're about to be signed to Sony or constantly playing £3,000 gigs but I assume that's not the case here.

Be interesting if you find out that they'd found another bassist before you got pushed out.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that being friends is enough, in fact ultimately it can hold a band back. One of my bands recently tried for a year to keep someone in a band because of friendship when in fact they were at a different level musically to the rest of the band. I can only say that it became soul destroying in the end. It's not fair on the other musicians in the group or indeed the people who are paying money to come to your performances. Those people are parting with cash and they deserve a certain standard of performance. I missed the social side of that person being in the band (which was a lot of fun) but I didn't miss the uncertainty of what notes might have been about to emerge from them on stage, or indeed where they might try to fit them in the bar. Once they were gone, the whole band was cooking and I had a lot more fun on stage. To be honest, that's why I play music in the first place.

Incidentally, I'm not saying for a second that's why this happened to you Yorick. It's frustrating when these things happen. I recently got the heave ho from a band over something I said in an email which apparently upset the drummer. I can't even see what it could have been and I've only found out from a friend of a friend after noticing that I seemed to have disappeared from their website. I'm still a bit miffed, but only because no-one was big enough to even try to discuss it with me. Still, it's nothing new. When I was a vocalist during the 80s, I once saw the bass player in a band I was in walking past my house with his bass. I rang the drummer, as it was his house we rehearsed at. 'Are we rehearsing today?'. 'We are, but you're not!'. Nice. I started my own band, only to be replaced by the same singer in that one too.

Oh and for those who questioned it, there are 'other levels' for tribute bands. Some play pubs, clubs and theatres, and some play the Albert Hall or Wembley Arena. Sadly, mine is in the former category. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='501184' date='May 29 2009, 07:14 PM']FWIW, Jon Bon Jovi threatened his (increasingly chubby) bass player with the sack unless he had liposuction.[/quote]

It's a good job that rule isn't enforced within Dire Fakes.

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='jonsmith' post='503373' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:34 PM']Hmmm, I'm not so sure that being friends is enough, in fact ultimately it can hold a band back. One of my bands recently tried for a year to keep someone in a band because of friendship when in fact they were at a different level musically to the rest of the band.[/quote]

Well it's a little different for me.
For one, we are all the same. We like the same thing but all like different music...we meet at metal, our first and foremost but all have different tastes elsewhere.
Also, technically minded...I can't be without my friend and guitarist as he's my polar opposite: same skill, different instrument.
We don't allow ego to go too far...if it doesn't work, it's out...Gotta say noone has shoehorned in anything...Our last song we did took 3 weeks, 2 rehearsals a week and home visits to sort, so no shoehorning here.
And some members to begin with went AWOL...that didn't last.

Nope...here we are, 5 friends sick of being let down taking Leicester on...then wherever we feel next. :)
It's a good feeling...accomplishing...and so I say, friends are good.

Maybe you mean like 2 friends in a band and the rest not? Hmmm I guess that may be problematic cause each friends looks after the other...but a band made entirely of friends who have known each other for a long time...that works. :rolleyes:

I could wish for no other band. :lol:

I have been sacked from bands twice in my life. Both times because the group wanted someone else in. No names - no pack drill

Once was when I couldn't make a last minute gig at Blackrod Labour Club (Oh, big deal) because three months earlier I had booked a coach and concert ticket deal to go and watch Bowie in Germany. The singer - whose band it effectively was - got this bloke in who was about 9 feet tall who only played root notes on every song. The rest of the band asked me what I was doing next as they wanted to go with me. He later organised some dates in America without consulting the others about whether they could go or not because of their day jobs and so the group broke up in a little pink huff. No-one at all went to America. Hence no second wave of the British Invasion. By that time I was playing with another band full time.

The other time was a shock because I was getting the band approaching half the gigs we did (and we were BUSY). The guitarist rang me up and said I had to go because the drummer 'didn't like my harmonies'. 'B*ll*cks', said I and then immediately rang the drummer up. He said their old bass player (who had frequently let them down) simply wanted his job back and the guitarist just said yes, as they were great mates.

I got over it. Both times. sh*t happens.

Edited by 12stringbassist