Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sacked..............

yorick

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='504881' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:29 PM']I have been sacked from bands twice in my life.[/quote]

Me too. When I was in sixth form I got sacked from a band - so I was told - by the drum machine, apparently it was annoyed that I wouldn't play Vision Thing. It was a Yamaha RY-30, so a fairly good drum machine for that time, so I had no argument.

The other time I think I'd been hired because I sounded a bit like Stuart Zender, and I was ultimately fired because they wanted someone more like Me'Shell. When I heard they were shopping for a new bassist I told them I'd give them a month to find somebody and I'd cover any shows we'd already got booked, I was already a bit bothered by the fact that rehearsals were getting less frequent so we weren't working on new material, so I was happy to go. I received a call a few weeks later saying we were playing some outdoor thing and told them I wasn't, they got a guy in to cover it, the show was apparently atrocious, and they never gigged again.

Well... I've now been informed by a fellow basschatter that they've started looking for another bass player (they contacted him), so we'll see how they get on!!! Apart from a telephone conversation with the drummer last thursday, still no contact. AND they haven't changed the web site yet.

ps Rocky is still up his own arse...... :)

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='504881' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:29 PM']I have been sacked from bands twice in my life. Both times because the group wanted someone else in. No names - no pack drill

Once was when I couldn't make a last minute gig at Blackrod Labour Club (Oh, big deal) because three months earlier I had booked a coach and concert ticket deal to go and watch Bowie in Germany. The singer - whose band it effectively was - got this bloke in who was about 9 feet tall who only played root notes on every song. The rest of the band asked me what I was doing next as they wanted to go with me. He later organised some dates in America without consulting the others about whether they could go or not because of their day jobs and so the group broke up in a little pink huff. No-one at all went to America. Hence no second wave of the British Invasion. By that time I was playing with another band full time.

The other time was a shock because I was getting the band approaching half the gigs we did (and we were BUSY). The guitarist rang me up and said I had to go because the drummer 'didn't like my harmonies'. 'B*ll*cks', said I and then immediately rang the drummer up. He said their old bass player (who had frequently let them down) simply wanted his job back and the guitarist just said yes, as they were great mates.

I got over it. Both times. sh*t happens.[/quote]

Just been looking on your bands website and I notice you have a guy called Ed playing with you. Was he playing in an ABBA tribute band last year ?? if so he depped for us last summer and he was absolutely brilliant.

Rocky Shades?? Cant think you're missing out on much there! The guy looks and sounds absolutely nothing like 'Dave Lee' .To my knowledge he's fronting at least three other outfits including a wrathchild tribute act. (at least he cant be criticised for sounding crap cos he's only copying himself). Maybe you too should join / form a plethora of new bands on the basis that one of them might stick?? As for getting sacked - thats usually because you're either better looking or more talented than the 'main' man. What are the odds in this instance?!!

As the man said- as I am not a pro musician anymore and play in bands strictly for fun- on my watch no one gets sacked- they either step up or quit.

Been sacked a few times from different bands- always because I was`nt bothered and cancelled gigs etc.

In a pro band things are a bit different- I suppose it depends who is also in the band- the band I`m in now are all nice guys who talk about problems etc- there was talk a while ago about sacking our guitarist ( a good friend of mine )- he had a lot to learn and, as he had`nt been in a band for like 20 yaers did`nt have much of a clue. Now he`s hardly eric clapton but has stepped up and has improved massively- still got further to go but will get there.

You`ll do much better than playing in a frankly very dated, unfashionable tribute band- do something creative- how about a band that does not take off another band- how fresh is that??

Cheers

bob