Why become a member? ×

Finally! Ernie Ball Music Man Custom Design Experience

Not the catchiest of names but the opportunity to get custom ordered Stingrays is now available and way overdue! 

Unfortunately I'm selling off basses currently but I'm excited to see what people get. 

Anyone going for it or considering it? I love that roasted flame maple necks are an option. 

Edited by Devers95
Add small detail.

• Devers95 changed the title to Finally! Ernie Ball Music Man Custom Design Experience

It's a no here - EBMM prices long since disappeared over a horizon I'm not willing (or frankly able) to follow.

Had a quick play with the configurator though, that was fun.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

This used to be called

”Buy a musicman bass”

I’ve been out for years - won’t buy anything new by them again.

I used to love doing special orders for people.

even did one myself at one point.

• Like 2

Configured an aproximation of my dream 'ray.

Natural, no frills apart from a tort guard.

I'd have gone with a 2 band EQ if it was an option but it's not.

$2800.

I can't imagine the £ price will be any less than that, especially with shipping to the UK and import taxes.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

I would have liked to see either weight relief as an option, or the ability to choose a target/maximum weight for the finished bass. My SR5 Special is a comfy and nicely balanced 8.3lb, but there's an identical one currently available off the shelf advertised at 9.4lb, so I'd be reluctant to order a custom build without being able to specify that my dream bass is a light one.

I'd also like to be able to choose to have the satin finish they use on the back of the headstock continued all way down the neck, rather than the oil/wax finish. I mean, it's fine and I've got a little bottle of the recommended stock wax to take care of it, but I wouldn't actively choose it over a finish that requires no maintenance.

• Like 1

I've just managed to put together a nice $3.5k bass. I think I prefer the F Bass equivalent (of building a custom bass that is, and spending money I don't have)

The colours look a bit off though. Had to google what the actual finish would look like, turns out Seafoam Sparkle is not quite what I had in mind for a gentleman of my vintage

Some cool options there that weren't previously available to lefties, like the slimmer and narrower SLO Special neck profile on 4-strings, and twin pickups (previously only available through the Vault in very limited quantities), and the SR5 was unavailable to lefties ever since the regular Stingray was replaced by the Stingray Special. So I'm glad we get those back.

But the prices are wild! As much as I love Music Man's quality and attention to detail, I'm not willing or able to pay that much for one. I had a Stingray 5 that I really liked (but that tone just isn't for me) and I own a rather lovely Silhouette Special guitar (and owned another one previously) that I absolutely adore but would never pay $3000 for. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 15:39, Cato said:

Configured an aproximation of my dream 'ray.

Natural, no frills apart from a tort guard.

I'd have gone with a 2 band EQ if it was an option but it's not.

$2800.

I can't imagine the £ price will be any less than that, especially with shipping to the UK and import taxes.

They have Natural Retro 2 Band sure you could find Tort guard only 3200 in USA but not sure it has that 50 cent Miracle chip from the 70's in preamp😀

• Like 1