Why become a member? ×

Short scale and pink

MuddBass

Hi all,

My daughter's progressing really well with recorder, and keeps self-motivated and really focused on practicing. She's always shown an interest in my collection of basses, and recently she's expressed an interest in learning bass. She naturally struggles playing my 34" scale instruments so I am seeing what's available for 'sensible' money, let's say sub £400.

There are a lot of short scales on the market, but she does not want a bass the same colour a my dull/dark/brown ones. Ideally she likes pink, but would be happy with similar colours. I've seen the Bronco and the Ibanez Mikro, both of which receive mixed reviews, but I can't see much else out there in colours she might like. White would be ok, as she could choose a flashy looking strap.

I've given her the lecture about tone before colour, but... (Rolls eyes) Ya know, at 8 and a half, colours are almost as important.

Any links gratefully received.

Edited by MuddBass

I have a Butterfly Daisy Rock and it’s fun but the balance is awful.

The Gretsch shorty is often heavy.

What about 32 scale? Ibanez Mezzo are a bargain used and have nice slim necks. Weights vary but can be found under 7.5lb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have a Butterfly Daisy Rock and it’s fun but the balance is awful.

The Gretsch shorty is often heavy.

What about 32 scale? Ibanez Mezzo are a bargain used and have nice slim necks. Weights vary but can be found under 7.5lb.

30 scale would be better I feel. I will have a look at the weight of the Gretsch as it ticks lots of boxes. 

4 hours ago, MuddBass said:

White would be ok, as she could choose a flashy looking strap.

Squier CV Mustang. You could add a flashy pickguard too.

4 hours ago, MuddBass said:

I've given her the lecture about tone before colour, but... (Rolls eyes) Ya know, at 8 and a half, colours are almost as important.

You’ve got to want to pick it up.

• Like 3

Ashdown Capri.....

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/roasted-capri

As well as the Bronco, Squier released a Jag in pink that might come up 2nd hand. It's medium scale at 32" though, if that's any good?

If purple is an option, there's also this Bronco.....

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/other/limited-edition-squier-sonic-bronco-bass/0373803517.html

• Like 2

An older, used Squier Vista Musicmaster would be a perfect match. They don't come up often though, and they're going up in price. They were made in China, whereas the rest of the Vista Series were made in Japan, but they're great. 

image.jpeg.thumb.webp.80b2ad1df75e7a5f2e5d460d62f0ca50.webp

• Like 4

The Ibanez GSRM20 and GSRM20B Mikro Bass is an amazing bass.

I both got the 4 and 5 string GSRM25 version, and both sounds pretty great from stock, with a pickup upgrade no short of amazing even, and the frets were basically dead on perfectly leveled from stock, and super fun to play.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The Ibanez GSRM20 and GSRM20B Mikro Bass is an amazing bass.

I both got the 4 and 5 string GSRM25 version, and both sounds pretty great, and the frets were basically dead on perfect leveled from stock, and super fun to play.

+1 - I've also one of each and love them.

Sadly neither in pink!

Sam x

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

+1 - I've also one of each and love them.

Sadly neither in pink!

Sam x

It does come in purple though, which might be passable (note that this is for some reason an old picture, the Mikros now come with proper metal dome knobs):

image.thumb.png.ae94d263a1496fd58b517a59ebbbc12e.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

Squier Sonic Broncos are current, so should be some available to try in ye olde fashioned music shoppe.  The white one looks ace.

The old Vistas are hard to find and have a 42mm nut width.  Guessing preference would be for a 38mm?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

The old Vistas are hard to find and have a 42mm nut width.  Guessing preference would be for a 38mm?

Good call, I wasn't aware of that but 42mm might indeed be hefty for an 8 year old! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This is what she wants:

vfu3apy7z89elxoexmaj.jpg

Daisy Rock Stardust Elite. Unfortunately, so do I, so she'll have to fight me for it.*

*Spoiler - she'll win, no bother. B|

I think we have a winner from a looks perspective.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It does come in purple though, which might be passable (note that this is for some reason an old picture, the Mikros now come with proper metal dome knobs):

image.thumb.png.ae94d263a1496fd58b517a59ebbbc12e.png

That's the one I had initially focused on as she'd dig the purple. I had seen mixed reviews online so glad to hear positive comments here. Would anyone know appropriate weight?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Squier Sonic Broncos are current, so should be some available to try in ye olde fashioned music shoppe.  The white one looks ace.

I think 38mm would suit hand stretch much better 

4 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Good call, I wasn't aware of that but 42mm might indeed be hefty for an 8 year old! 

I’ve seen a very petite lady playing a full sized p bass and doing it very well; it can be done 

this was Enid from girl school and also maggie from fuzz box 

• Like 1