Why become a member? ×

What to look for in a real US stingray?

la bam

Hi all, 

I'm thinking of getting a 'real' US stingray in the future. But with so many variants, and no doubt so many modded ones and indeed fakes, what should I look out for to determine its a genuine US stingray? 

I'm fine with fenders, precisions, jazzes, but stingrays are new to me and to be honest a bit of a minefield. 

Cheers

Determine what Stingray you want.  One or two pickups, 2 or 3 band eq, four or five string?

What are you going to use it for? Who plays a Stingray you like?

A US Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray will be made in San Luis Obispo and it will say so. All of these will hit the same ballpark sound wise thanks to the humbucker in its classic position.

Refinement comes from having alnico or ceramic pole pieces and the 2 or 3 band preamp.

Sterling By Musicman, SUB or OLP are different instruments with different electronics and places of fabrication. These are outside of your scope if you want a 'real' ray.

Stingrays are not as massively modded as fenders, mostly it's about replacing the nut if you can't cope with the G being a little closer to the edge of the fretboard.

So, whaddayawant?

9 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

If you go for a newer 18v 5-string check how close the G is to the fingerboard edge. And you can’t loosen the bolts and yank the neck! 

Don't pull down on the string when fretting it.

It's a playing technique flaw. If you can't remedy your finger placement it can be mitigated by replacing the nut with one that has the slot filed slightly more away from the edge. As mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 01:42, Bolo said:

Don't pull down on the string when fretting it.

It's a playing technique flaw. If you can't remedy your finger placement it can be mitigated by replacing the nut with one that has the slot filed slightly more away from the edge. As mentioned earlier.

Nothing wrong with my playing technique. The 5 strings (on the ones I have seen) have been off center, with ample space on the B. Construction or design flaw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopthebass said:

Nothing wrong with my playing technique. The 5 strings (on the ones I have seen) have been off center, with ample space on the B. Construction or design flaw. 

It’s true that the strings on the SR5 do run close to the edge of the board, a deliberate decision by EBMM to keep the neck slim, and some players don’t like this. But I’ve never seen one that’s badly off centre. You’ve been rather unlucky. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

The USA SUBs are great and half the price.

I was watching the "five watt world" episode on the Stingray on YT earlier & they said that SUB stands for"Sports Utility Bass" & I really hope that's true.  :)

56 minutes ago, badger said:

I was watching the "five watt world" episode on the Stingray on YT earlier & they said that SUB stands for"Sports Utility Bass" & I really hope that's true.  :)

You know I remember when they first came out, and I remember reading bass magazine and I'm sure they said the same thing! For years I've remembered that and no one believed me! :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I'd personally only go for the newer Stingray Specials.  They have finally corrected the weak G problem that plagued Rays for 40 years by redesigning the pickup.

I admittedly have limited experience, but from that limited experience I agree.

A few years back I had a SR5 that looked nice and had a very comfy neck, but was a bit of a slab, kinda heavy with it and suffered from a weak top couple of strings. Just a bit of a ‘meh’ bass.

Still have a pic..

IMG_8767.thumb.jpeg.2c1306d9e78fd7e733127f67ac1d1f14.jpeg

Now I’ve got a SR5 Special and it’s nicely contoured, looks and feels great, weighs 8.3lb and sounds absolutely spot-on. Wasn’t cheap, but it’s so much better - I have no regrets.

• Like 1

Agreed the specials are a significant upgrade but their pricing is crazy.

£2k is mental to me for a Stingray (had a classic for £1100). Especially when a ray34 or US SUB will gets you 75% of the way at £600ish. Your mileage may vary obviously.

I did that "quick reply to the thread title" thing and it made me chuckle.  Sorry.

"What to look for in a real US stingray?" - well, one thing you won't need to look hard for - the lining of your wallet after you purchase one! :D

Sorry, I have nothing further to add, and I never, not once promised to be useful.  We now return you to your regular, unscheduled programmes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeh, to clarify the meaning.... I had seen a supposed stingray for sale. Turns out it was a bitsa fake. Luckily I'd sussed it out before buying and the seller changed his listing. 

As suspected it was a cheap sub series with all the us logo and made in San Louis obispo california US stamps (or whatever it is) to try and fool people. 

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Yeh, to clarify the meaning.... I had seen a supposed stingray for sale. Turns out it was a bitsa fake. Luckily I'd sussed it out before buying and the seller changed his listing. 

As suspected it was a cheap sub series with all the us logo and made in San Louis obispo california US stamps (or whatever it is) to try and fool people. 

Aah, in that sense my personal preference is to look for any bass arriving brand new in its box - extra points for intact factory tape/seal/staples - from an authorised dealer with full warranty support. Fakes and scammers aside, I've heard far too many tales of the weird and wonderful things people do to their basses (like oiling the fretboard with their own nasal sebum, for example) to find the second hand market in any way appealing.

Just now, Ed_S said:

Aah, in that sense my personal preference is to look for any bass arriving brand new in its box - extra points for intact factory tape/seal/staples - from an authorised dealer with full warranty support. Fakes and scammers aside, I've heard far too many tales of the weird and wonderful things people do to their basses (like oiling the fretboard with their own nasal sebum, for example) to find the second hand market in any way appealing.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...  I imported a Yamaha BB1200 from Japan last December and it arrived in what I have christened the Ebolabag (TM).

ebolabag.thumb.jpg.55f9a6cc867d0402593ab09fcd502866.jpg

I'm still alive, three months later.  Buy second hand, you'll be fine and your wallet will thank you too :D

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...  I imported a Yamaha BB1200 from Japan last December and it arrived in what I have christened the Ebolabag (TM).

ebolabag.thumb.jpg.55f9a6cc867d0402593ab09fcd502866.jpg

I'm still alive, three months later.  Buy second hand, you'll be fine and your wallet will thank you too :D

Heh, I'm tempted to go and get an isopropyl alcohol wipe for my monitor after having that on it ;) 

Different strokes innit.. some people like the smell of an old library, and some like the smell of a new bookshop. I like the new smell.

Unless it's a toaster. New toasters smell terrible. But I'm still not buying a second hand toaster.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

I find the best thing i look for on a US stingray is a G&L L2000 tribute 🤪

I currently own both, and that's a fair assessment.