Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Basses?

Cheeto726

What are everyone's opinions on these? I have a Marcus Miller V7 that I LOVE. I've had the bass for about a year already and right now I have some Ernie Ball flat wounds and I'm about to switch them out for some new ones but I was wondering if anyone has done any mods to their's and how you liked or disliked it, what you did, etc. 

• Like 1

Before the beginning of a very long and boring thread about "ugly" headstocks, I'll pitch in with something hopefully useful - I have a D5 and I like it very much.  Lovely neck - although uniess I'm actually feeling the sides of the neck, I don't really notice the rolled fingerboard edges when I'm actually playing. 

I haven't modded it at all because it's pretty great stock - I like how it sounds and the hardware is good quality.  I might swap the pickup out though - Herrick Pickups do a 4 coil, '51 P shaped pickup, the concept of which I find very intriguing and appealing.  I'm on a break from buying gear this year, but I may get around to doing this next year.

Also next year I fully intend to snag one of the recently announced Z7 models.

• Like 3

Around 2016 I bought a second hand 5-string V7 from a member of this parish.  It has been my main gigging bass ever since and I love it.

I almost cried when it once fell out of my van when unloading and the gigbag didn't stop it getting a big chip on the body, but it still plays absolutely fine.  I guess it is now what everyone likes to call "relic'd" but I wish it hadn't happened! 

You will probably get a lot of comments on here about how bad the tuners are and how everyone changes them.  I admit they look and feel a bit toy town, but I can put mine away in the gigbag for a week, get it back out and it is still perfectly in tune, so mine is still totally stock.

I keep wanting to buy a Sire precision to match it, but can't justify the spend (or more basses!) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Around 2016 I bought a second hand 5-string V7 from a member of this parish.  It has been my main gigging bass ever since and I love it.

I almost cried when it once fell out of my van when unloading and the gigbag didn't stop it getting a big chip on the body, but it still plays absolutely fine.  I guess it is now what everyone likes to call "relic'd" but I wish it hadn't happened! 

You will probably get a lot of comments on here about how bad the tuners are and how everyone changes them.  I admit they look and feel a bit toy town, but I can put mine away in the gigbag for a week, get it back out and it is still perfectly in tune, so mine is still totally stock.

I keep wanting to buy a Sire precision to match it, but can't justify the spend (or more basses!) 

First or second gen V7?  I think I heard that one of the improvements going from the first to the second gen was in the hardware department.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheeto726 said:

What are everyone's opinions on these? I have a Marcus Miller V7 that I LOVE. I've had the bass for about a year already and right now I have some Ernie Ball flat wounds and I'm about to switch them out for some new ones but I was wondering if anyone has done any mods to their's and how you liked or disliked it, what you did, etc. 

I've just released the first two-part video review for Sire basses and have another two-parter on the way. I've covered the V7 Vintage, V5-24, the P5 and P5R are on the way.

https://www.bassgearmag.com

https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-sire-marcus-miller-v7-vintage-and-v5-24-jazz-basses/

I'm not paid by any brands to say the right things, so this speaks positively for the four basses I received. My only gripe in these examples were that the nut slots were cut high, but this is a remedial adjustment, I was very pleased with how low and buzz free the rest of the action and set up was. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, acidbass said:

p5r.jpg.3618c6efe1cbb34cf259f1a5b1813bbe.jpg

BEAUT!

This is the colour I reviewed and the neck was even flamed! I didn't like sending it back, it was rather pretty!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, neepheid said:

First or second gen V7?  I think I heard that one of the improvements going from the first to the second gen was in the hardware department.

I have no idea how I would tell, but I have always assumed, due to its age, it was a first gen.

• Like 2

I had a first generation V7 5 string and it was fantastic. I only sold it because I felt guilty after splashing out on a new US Stingray, wish I still had it. I then got a V9 five string, excellent, excellent bass. Then I gave up on five strings, I'm a four string with a drop tuner kind of guy, and I keep longingly looking at Sire P basses now...

• Like 1

My P8 five is a superb instrument.  It's strung with La Bella through-body flats and is an absolute tone machine.  If you want a P shaped 5 string I would say it's the best option out there are the moment.

I've swapped out the tuners for Gotoh Res-O-Lites, which makes the bass bang on 9 lbs.  Also fitted Dunlop straplocks and filed the edges of the nut to take off the sharp corners, but other than that it's stock.  Tempted to swap the scratchplate to tort though...

IMG_3842.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, mybass said:

It’s difficult to find their weight, as in this link showing everything but the weight, a nice looking 5 in swamp ash.

https://sire-usa.com/collections/marcus-miller-p8/products/p8-5st

Sire's FAQ give a typical weight of 4.67kg for the P8 5-string.  But each instrument could be more or less since wood varies in weight from one piece to the next.  franzbassist did well to get a lighter one at I guess around 4.3kg before changing the tuners.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2024 at 11:33, jrixn1 said:

franzbassist did well to get a lighter one at I guess around 4.3kg before changing the tuners.

I was lucky as Andertons had just taken delivery of a new shipment, so they brought out five different ones for me to try.  Two were absolute boat anchors, I'd guess 10.5-11lbs, but the rest were very reasonable.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 1

I have a very early 1st gen swamp ash V7 five string, which is a lovely bass. Electrically it is entirely standard, but I have changed some of the hardware.

1. I fitted Hipshot Ultralites in place of the original tuners; they are a whole load more stable and saved a whole half pound in weight over the stock items, doesn't sound a lot but it certainly saved a bit of neck dive.
  2. I junked the standard frankly rubbish string retainer in favour of two Hipshot ones, far more convenient than trying to thread the strings under that stupid bar.
  3. I've also fitted a different bridge; I had to sacrifice the through-body stringing, but that's not a problem for me as I didn't use it anyway. The new bridge is a top-loader (which I far prefer) and locks the saddles firmly into place so there is absolutely no movement. I fitted a 2mm shim under the neck so I could get the action low enough, but that was pretty simple.
  4. Chrome knobs, purely cosmetic but I like them.
  5. The ramp is just a piece of 4mm plastic sheet cut to the right shape and carpet-taped to the pickguard.

It was a superb bass to start with, and for me it still is. I have to say though that if the V7 and P7 had been released at the same time, I would definitely have had the P7 instead. In an ideal world I'd mod this bass to take a P pickup in the neck, but the woodwork is beyond my capabilities and I can't justify all the expense.

kpfsghghgfd.thumb.jpg.5a329b97757bb1c5ac25d917777db1b1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I almost bought one of those instead. And yea I noticed the issue with tuners but honestly, I havent even thought of changing them. They work fine for me and I would cried too! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

I got a second Gen(I think) and the only hardware issue I had was the preamp going out about 2 months in. I got it from Sweetwiter and they repaired it free of charge! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I tried one briefly and was amazed at how comfortable the neck was to play.

That's what made me get one. I got a Sire L7 which is their version of a Les Paul and the next is what made me fall in love with the Sire line!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I wish they'd bring out a superlight version of a 5 string P bass.

Same here. Im still taking lessons and my instructor actually plays a Fender Aerodyne PJ. I wish they made something like this in the Sire line. Its super light

• Like 1

I've had a gen1 V7 fretless for a few years now.

It's a great instrument, even though I bought as a cheapish first fretless (and back then I think they were under £400 brand new) I feel no need to 'upgrade' to something more expensive.

The mid sweep on the preamp is a control too far for me so I generally use it in passive but that's my only niggle and that's definitely a 'me' problem rather than an issue with the guitar.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2