Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

joel406

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m thinking a ripper in natural/maple, maybe a grabber in natural…

id love a thunderbird or RD - but the offset shapes look weird on me.

With you on any and all of the above. Both T-Birds and RDs need to be slung low - nothing 'weird' then.

Here's some of what you mention to prove I'm with you. 😁

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

With you on any and all of the above. Both T-Birds and RDs need to be slung low - nothing 'weird' then.

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

I guess you are going to spend your 4000 bucks on CDs... :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A specific pre EB stingray someone I knew had...root beer brown, unassuming and sounded amazing and played itself. I couldnt' afford it when he moved it on so he sold if through Andy Baxter... - do be fair I would sell a couple of my current basses to get that one... it was one of the best basses I've ever played. I think it was a 1978. He had a matching 1977 one that he sold later when I could afford it - but it didn't sound the same. 

Otherwise I have a very short GAS list any more so whatever I could stretch the ££ too.... :

• Fender Fullerton '57ri Precision
  • A beat up 1963 Precision that had had all the mods that reduce value- but sounded great. Someone was selling but then withdrew it. 
  • My old status shark. I almost bought it back a few years back from @megssab - every so often I think I should have. 
  • Fender Roscoe beck

When the OP posed his question I searched through what Sweetwiter and Guitar Center were offering in the $1k to $4k range.

Only thing which remotely interested me was an original 60's Mosrite but there's no way they get $1.6k from me for it so  I'd thank the wife for the kind thought and indulgence then tell her to look at holidays instead 🙂

The GAS is weak in this one 😃

13 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Lessons. Bass,  piano, mandolin, theory.

Agreed, except the mandolin as I have no interest in it. Guitar too though.

I've bought a bass* already this year when I said I wouldn't (but I put a stupidly low bid on it and won) so anything else bass gear wise needs to come from selling the older items I own first.

However, arm twisted and I had to spend the money on gear, $US4k is $AU6k roughly so an EHB1506PB and maybe wait for something S/H to come up. Aesthetically I like the SR1426, but it does nothing that my other 6s don't except be pretty.

* NBD soon.

Edited by crazycloud

9 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I guess after the initial excitement, I'd also be wondering how my wife came across $4k that I can fritter away! The list of things to do in the house never ends!

She won £100k on the lottery and is being generous 

I'd have this build:

A custom made 4 string, 28,6" scale, bass, with a slim modern C profile, bolt on, clear satin finish, 5 piece laminated Jatoba/black Ebony (just 2 relatively narrow layers of Ebony in between 3 wider layers of Jatoba) neck, with graphite rods enforcement and a double action truss rod, a tilted 2+2, gold plated tuning mechanisms, classic B.C Rich inspired, headstock, but overall slightly more narrow, and with the "devil horns" slightly shifted, so that the upper slightly larger "horn" is sitting a bit more forward than the slightly smaller and slightly retracted lower "horn", and a 24 medium jumbo stainless steel frets, 12" radius, figured Ebony, fretboard, with an ESP LTD F-204/F-1004 style inspired Mahogany body with a spalted maple top, in a transparent matte black burst finish, with a blood red solid circle figure with a black OM sign in the middle, placed approximately right above the bridge, and equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler reverse P pickup in the neck position, and in the bridge position a gold plated DiMarzio Relentless Middle reverse P pickup with a gold plated series/parallel switch, with an active stacked LPF/HPF tone filter control for each of the 2 pickups, and an active pickup blend control, equipped with knobs made of solid transparent red plexi glass encapsulated in hollow gold plated cylinders with a thin spiraling gold rib going upwards around them, gold plated steel mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass, with a string spacing of 17,5mm (or perhaps instead even a wammy/tremolo bridge with 17,5mm string spacing), and an accordingly more narrow neck, with a 38mm wide graphite nut.

Equipped with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges .074 - .056 - .042 - 030, and tuned to tenor bass, A standard, tuning, as in the upper 4 strings of a 6 string bass tuned to regular B standard tuning.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

A quick phone call to a Mr Shuker in Derbyshire:

'Hi Jon'

'Hi'

'Can you make me a 6lb P-Bass? In black, my normal spec neck, Hipshot hardware and something like the old East P-Retro?'

'Yeah, sure'

'Smashing. I'm going on holiday with a grand I suddenly have spare, I'll ring you when I'm back'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'd have this build:

A custom made 4 string, 28,6" scale, bass, with a slim modern C profile, bolt on, clear satin finish, 5 piece laminated Jatoba/black Ebony (just 2 relatively narrow layers of Ebony in between 3 wider layers of Jatoba) neck, with graphite rods enforcement and a double action truss rod, a tilted 2+2, gold plated tuning mechanisms, classic B.C Rich inspired, headstock, but overall slightly more narrow, and with the "devil horns" slightly shifted, so that the upper slightly larger "horn" is sitting a bit more forward than the slightly smaller and slightly retracted lower "horn", and a 24 medium jumbo stainless steel frets, 12" radius, figured Ebony, fretboard, with an ESP LTD F-204/F-1004 style inspired Mahogany body with a spalted maple top, in a transparent matte black burst finish, with a blood red solid circle figure with a black OM sign in the middle, placed approximately right above the bridge, and equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler reverse P pickup in the neck position, and in the bridge position a gold plated DiMarzio Relentless Middle reverse P pickup with a gold plated series/parallel switch, with an active stacked LPF/HPF tone filter control for each of the 2 pickups, and an active pickup blend control, equipped with knobs made of solid transparent red plexi glass encapsulated in hollow gold plated cylinders with a thin spiraling gold rib going upwards around them, gold plated steel mono rail bridge pieces with a string spacing of 17,5mm (or perhaps instead even a wammy/tremolo bridge with 17,5mm string spacing), and an accordingly more narrow neck, with a 38mm wide graphite nut.

Equipped with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges .074 - .056 - .042 - 030, and tuned to tenor bass, A standard tuning, as in the upper 4 strings of a 6 string bass tuned to regular B standard tuning.

So no real idea yet then :lol::lol::lol:

14 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

That's not low-slung. Come on man, get it down round your knees a la Simon Gallup or Peter Hook! 😄

• Haha 1

Perhaps I didn't think this through enough before asking the original question.

Here's a little background.

Having lived most of my life paycheck to paycheck, I find myself liquid. I didn't win a lottery. But I had rich family. So does my wife. Now we have land that is of great interest to oil companies. So we now receive regular checks from that. This is from my wife's family. I just straight up inherited 8 figures.  This all came to past in 2018. I've played music since 4th grade. Bass since 8th grade. Out of high school in 1979. 

So...

Bank account got fat quick. I was able to try every amp in the world. "Literally". I've owned many instruments in my day. Switched to 5 string (permanently) about 8 years ago. Hopelessly addicted. And I now find myself hopelessly in love with modern day Fenders. They just fit me. Jazz or Precision, it don't matter in the 5 string world. I have 5 wireless units for instruments. 4 wireless IEM units. And 2 pairs of molded IEMS that work flawlessly. I currently own (and love) 2 Mesa Subway D-800+ heads. One custom Epifani UL901 head. 2 Subway 212 cabs and 2 410 Subway cabs. 

The list of gear no longer owned is staggering. But I find myself currently well stocked.

Quad Cortex.

Two Notes Le Bass and Revolt, as well as a CABM.

I have both of the current Mesa Subway Pedals. And a load of Keely, MXR and Empress compressors.

I'm forgetting things. Being I have 6 pedal boards.

I have 2 Fender American Pro 5 stringers.

I have 3 Fender American Pro 2, 5 stringers.

And one custom built 5er.

Wanted to go more strings but every 6 I try my hands don't like. 

I do not care for "active' instruments. But would consider them. I have had a couple of Mike Lulls. But 35" scale isn't for me.

So the real question is ....

For the Bassist who has everything. 

What would you get?

With $4000 usd.

Yes I am in the US.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joel406 said:

Perhaps I didn't think this through enough before asking the original question.

Here's a little background.

Having lived most of my life paycheck to paycheck, I find myself liquid. I didn't win a lottery. But I had rich family. So does my wife. Now we have land that is of great interest to oil companies. So we now receive regular checks from that. This is from my wife's family. I just straight up inherited 8 figures.  This all came to past in 2018. I've played music since 4th grade. Bass since 8th grade. Out of high school in 1979. 

So...

Bank account got fat quick. I was able to try every amp in the world. "Literally". I've owned many instruments in my day. Switched to 5 string (permanently) about 8 years ago. Hopelessly addicted. And I now find myself hopelessly in love with modern day Fenders. They just fit me. Jazz or Precision, it don't matter in the 5 string world. I have 5 wireless units for instruments. 4 wireless IEM units. And 2 pairs of molded IEMS that work flawlessly. I currently own (and love) 2 Mesa Subway D-800+ heads. One custom Epifani UL901 head. 2 Subway 212 cabs and 2 410 Subway cabs. 

The list of gear no longer owned is staggering. But I find myself currently well stocked.

Quad Cortex.

Two Notes Le Bass and Revolt, as well as a CABM.

I have both of the current Mesa Subway Pedals. And a load of Keely, MXR and Empress compressors.

I'm forgetting things. Being I have 6 pedal boards.

I have 2 Fender American Pro 5 stringers.

I have 3 Fender American Pro 2, 5 stringers.

And one custom built 5er.

Wanted to go more strings but every 6 I try my hands don't like. 

I do not care for "active' instruments. But would consider them. I have had a couple of Mike Lulls. But 35" scale isn't for me.

What would you get?

With $4000 usd.

Yes I am in the US.

Honestly, describing what you like and don't like, I would HIGHLY recommend trying a Sandberg California TT5 passive. Ticks all your boxes, and the neck feel is on a whole other level.

You could spec a completely customised instrument, even a masterpiece one to be honest, and still come in under your budget. Not the fanciest bass you can buy for that money, but really would fit the bill for you.

Here's mine 😊

IMG_20200623_130535.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joel406 said:

What would you get?

why do you need anything? I know that's what forums like this do, gravitate on the latest new shiny thing.... but you don't need it.

Double bass and lessons? 

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Honestly, describing what you like and don't like, I would HIGHLY recommend trying a Sandberg California TT5 passive. Ticks all your boxes, and the neck feel is on a whole other level.

You could spec a completely customised instrument, even a masterpiece one to be honest, and still come in under your budget. Not the fanciest bass you can buy for that money, but really would fit the bill for you.

Here's mine 😊

IMG_20200623_130535.jpg

That is more like it. 

I have considered getting another Lull. I did try a 34" scale PJ that was gorgeous. At the time I wasn't keen on the 5K price. But times change. Especially once the wife gives the go ahead.

Alembic is always on the radar. I'm watching the used stuff. But 9K for a 30 year old bass ain't a happening.

But I've heard nothing but good things about Sandberg. So on the radar they go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joel406 said:

What would you get?

Rather than something to play, I would get somewhere to play.  So, would $4k be enough to fit out a basement room with soundproofing, a few mics, PA, drumkit?  Then, you can invite your friends round for a jam session, and the $4k would buy you a rehearsal space.

For me, playing with others is what has made me a better musician*, rather than buying additional kit.  It is the hours invested in playing that gave me the skill to appreciate those better instruments. 

* better, when measured from a very low basepoint . . . .  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Rather than something to play, I would get somewhere to play.  So, would $4k be enough to fit out a basement room with soundproofing, a few mics, PA, drumkit?  Then, you can invite your friends round for a jam session, and the $4k would buy you a rehearsal space.

For me, playing with others is what has made me a better musician*, rather than buying additional kit.  It is the hours invested in playing that gave me the skill to appreciate those better instruments. 

* better, when measured from a very low basepoint . . . .  

Great reasoning.

But that is already taken care of.

• Like 1