Why become a member? ×

Packing up.

Marky L

2 minutes ago, Martin E said:

In that case I've been playing the wrong venues for years. The Dog and Duck won't have a PA system neither will the average church/village hall, hotel function room, wedding marquee, village fête etc. 

I sympathise with the OP, we're all in this for a bit of fun and it's only natural we want to help out our bandmates.

But I was talking about originals bands. I wouldn't be looking at playing any of those venues in the first place.

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But I was talking about originals bands. I wouldn't be looking at playing any of those venues in the first place.

In my experience, originals bands have to play such venues at first, usually for a couple of years at least, to be able to aspire to 'equipped' venues and festivals. I was with Kiemsa for many years; they ended up touring France and Germany, but started out in self-promoted halls, pubs, clubs etc, where PA, lights, backline were all needed. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

In my experience, originals bands have to play such venues at first, usually for a couple of years at least, to be able to aspire to 'equipped' venues and festivals. I was with Kiemsa for many years; they ended up touring France and Germany, but started out in self-promoted halls, pubs, clubs etc, where PA, lights, backline were all needed. Just sayin'.

Not any more, and not for quite some time.

By the early 90s all the venues I was playing, including pubs, that put on originals bands were putting in PA systems and lighting rigs. At the time I was in a brand new band so we were starting back at the bottom. We got our first gigs by asking bands playing at these venues if we could support them and built in up from there. Before that in the 80s we would hire a PA for each gig as it was required and that cost would be factored in to what we would ask for our payment. And in the days when we hired in a PA it would come with a sound engineer who would do all the setting up.

Edited by BigRedX

Packing/unpacking/transport is such a big part of the gig experience that collectively our covers band is making a concertive effort to make it easier... and in the process improve our sound. To that end we've gone full IEM to avoid lugging monitors around, and an xr18 so everyone is in charge of their own monitor mix. So 2 FoH speakers is it and it's definitely streamlined the process.

I play drums in this band so still have the most gear, the bass player turns up with just his Steinberg headless, but at least everyone chips in and helps packing up.

• Like 2

I'm usually one of the first to finish packing up at the end of the night. I like to get all my kit out of the way so that the others (mainly the drummer) have space to move. I always get my stuff out and into the transport first, too. But I will always help whoever needs it afterwards. Last night we had a long carry out and we all lent a hand. I'm aching this evening but we're a band and part of that includes helping out where we can.

• Like 1

I suppose I’m quite fortunate in my gigging band, being originals material for most of our gigs there is backline provided so not much to pack away and carry which suits my current glass back situation.

I'm in a four piece covers band and like so many bassists I own and run the PA. Drummer and I arrive first and set up and are always last out at the end. Just like @Dan Dare I'm please don't try and help. The last thing I want is to sort out the mess they make.

I've done everything I can to cut down set up and break down times. Mains leads are run first and are 6-way sockets wired on cables just long enough to run three sides of the stage (two 5m for the sides and a 10m across the back) leaving a 6-way in each corner. Any audio cables that need to run to the far side are run after that. The drummer has a mat the exact size of her kit and the cables are run just behind that. I have spares of everything incuding most of the things that band members forget and it all packs into a single storage box. Leads are all wound 'properly' and all have cable ties. I play with other bands and each band has it's own box with counted and checked leads. Our new guitarist had me down as obsessive/OCD but in everything else I'm quite chilled and relaxed but after 50 years of knocking down a stage you just realise having a system and all the right bits in all the right places saves you so much time and hassle and somebody helping by 'saving' you 30secs of lead winding and costing you 5 mins of untangling at the next gig or when you get home isn't a good deal.

On the plus side all the band help out with the carrying and lifting I just don't let them pack the van any more than I let my wife pack the dish washer. Maybe I am a little bonkers :)

• Like 2

In my present band we tend to act as a band when it comes to in and out. I have also been in a band where the singers would expect the lads to do all the work. We don't get out much so I still find it funny to set up and pack down.

Edited by 42Hz

I wrap my stuff up pretty quickly, then straight in the car with it.

After that, I move on to everything else. I prefer lugging the big boxes outside, ‘cos wrapping cables bores me to death.

I have to bite my tongue when others are either slow, or don’t do their fair share.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

I'm in a four piece covers band and like so many bassists I own and run the PA. Drummer and I arrive first and set up and are always last out at the end. Just like @Dan Dare I'm please don't try and help. The last thing I want is to sort out the mess they make.

I don't mind my lot doing some things to help - take speakers off stands, fold stands up and put them in bag, put speakers in slip covers, coil mains leads (which have velcro ties and are colour coded with insulting tape for length). They know to leave me to coil the XLR leads (2 to FOH, 2 to monitors, 2 to mics, the vocalist brings his own XLR lead and mic). I don't bother with subdividing the leads case, XLR leads are colour coded (orange = FOH, green = monitors, purple = my mic) so easy enough to get what I want out at the next gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

... mains leads (which have velcro ties and are colour coded with insulting tape for length)...

A Good Idea ("You're winding me up the wrong way, you dumb beggar" and such..?). B|

• Haha 1

I used to be in a 3 piece band. It’s not until recently that me and the drummer were reminiscing about that we realised how little listening the frontman/guitarist did.

I’m the type who likes to roll mr sleeves up and get a quick set up/take down done. You’re a band. A unit. All for one.  

But this guy did NOTHING to help. Ever. 

Never did his share of the driving either….

I think packing away your own equipment should take priority for all members - helps clear the stage area which in turn speeds up packing away of PA etc.  After that, it's all hands to the pump to do whatever is needed.

• Like 1

I'm happy with our singer not helping with packing up, because he will be involved in the equally important task of selling merch to audience members who have enjoyed our set, and taking to people who are interested in booking us for more gigs.

It varies from band to band with me. I'm always grateful for help packing up and carrying gear in the band where the singer and I share PA duties. And yes I know that any 'help' I receive means untangling and tidying at a later date, but I actually find a good tidy and sort through quite cathartic.

In my other two main bands I'm just the bassist and carry minimal gear so I am often first to finish. I will help carry for the others but I have a major bugbear:

People who refuse to park or move their vehicles as close to the exit door of the venue as is humanly possible. Oh and reverse up to the door too, you moron.

Edited by stewblack

On 10/02/2024 at 14:13, Marky L said:

As a typical weekend warrior, playing in a four piece covers band, I, and I imagine many others of you, have to schlep our own gear in and out of venues. As I “joke” to punters lurking at the end of a gig, packing up is my least favourite part.

My band members and I all have a fair amount of gear each, but particularly so the drummer, who is forever adding more lights to his hoard. I have a dodgy back and very occasionally I need a bit of help shifting my cabs, which the drummer does do sometimes and as a band we help each other out with gear if one of us gets his out first.. except..

The drummer has so much stuff now, drums, banner, lights, more lights.. and the rest of us will have packed up our gear, loaded it in cars and be ready to go before he is even finished and ready to load out.

I nearly always have work the next day, the rest don’t. We do help the drummer out with his gear but it is becoming a joke. I generally want to be on my way when done and I’m often told to ‘k off and go but I get a bit of anxiety if I haven’t helped him with any of it. Annoying as it’s not my fault he has off the scale GAS. Why should I worry, just my nice side comes out and feel I should help! Should I just shrug it off and wave as I drive away?

Anyone else get a bit p’eed off with the mega slow packer in your band?

Mark

If he is the drummer, how does he know you need all those lights?

I played with a similar drummer. Always wanted more lights and louder PA. We were playing small functions and pubs. The main problem was he was pointing all the lights at the audience and people who came to see us complained they were being blinded by the lights and couldn't see us. I told him we were a band not a disco and the lights should be on us, with a smattering of dance floor lights.

What are you using?

Are they being used effectively?

We have 4 large 8"/10" LED PAR cans that are on stands and light the stage, and 4 mini 4" LED PAR cans mounted on the speaker stands as fill-in lights. Then we have a laser/coloured floor filling light and a smoke machine that is aimed onto the dance floor. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1