Why become a member? ×

UK guitar show, March 2024

Richard R

I'll be there on Saturday, probably aim to spring out of bed early and be there at the start - hoping to ignore all the guitars and try some multiscale basses and saying hi to @Manton Customs

Looking forward to it, should I leave my wallet at home?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jolltax said:

I'll be there on Saturday, probably aim to spring out of bed early and be there at the start - hoping to ignore all the guitars and try some multiscale basses and saying hi to @Manton Customs

Looking forward to it, should I leave my wallet at home?

You still need food. There is usually a fantastic caterer doing top notch curry/rice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

You still need food. There is usually a fantastic caterer doing top notch curry/rice.

Good point, I will bring some pocket money and I'll wear a badge just in case a fellow BCer wants me to bore the pants off them

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manton Customs said:

Finished this one off in time for the guitar show on Saturday! If any bass chatters are going, make sure to say hello.

This is one of my medium scale (32”) Paradigm models except this time instead of the traditional Precision pickup we have two Nordstrand Big Split pickups in P/J locations.

There are just two main woods on the bass except in different variations. These are Maple and an Australian wood called Yarran, which is extremely hard and colour wise makes a nice alternative to Rosewood for fretboards (but it’s much harder!). I also made a matching control plate out of the Yarran to tie it altogether. The body is a single piece of beautifully figured/flamed native Maple and the neck some dark roasted 1/4 sawn Maple. Being a darker roast it almost has the colour of Mahogany.

Features overview 

32” scale

20 fret

Yarran fretboard

1/4 sawn dark roast Maple neck

1pc Figured English Maple body 

Nordstrand Big Split pickups

Hipshot hardware

Yarran control plate

Stacked CTS pots (passive)

Black Tusq nut

Dunlop straplock ready 

Weight 7lb 14oz

XpT5NjN.jpeg

0F4VGNB.jpeg

uX47IQa.jpeg

qadxfwY.jpeg

Looks great @Manton Customs - see you there (I hope)

• Like 1

Yeah anyone from this parish don’t forget to drop by the stand, be good to put faces to usernames! We ( Andy and myself) will be on stand 33 with 12 basses and other bass paraphernalia so fill yer boots! 

Edited by walshy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Yeah anyone from this parish don’t forget to drop by the stand, be good to put faces to usernames! We ( Andy and myself) will be on stand 33 with 12 basses and other bass paraphernalia so fill yer boots! 

I'm probably more of basslurker than a basschatter. But I plan to visit stand 33 on Saturday.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Machines said:

Am going Saturday AM with potential to go Sun as well. 

n.b. Ashdown have pulled out as their NAMM gear is stuck in the US.

Ah bugger, was hoping to have a chat with them too. 

This will be my first trip to a guitar show, any tips for making the best of the day?
I have a milestone birthday coming up and planning to get a new bass to celebrate. I'm going as it seems a good opportunity to try a variety of basses to inform my decision. I'm planning to check out Reverend, Sandberg and @walshy's stand. Also hoping to try out any Hagstroms and Stingrays if there are any. 
I am leaning towards medium or short scale, but not ruling out a long scale. Currently I have two squire classic vibes, mustang and jaguar, as well as my old (an much neglected) SGC Nanyo Bass Collection.  
Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Kyndainverse said:

This will be my first trip to a guitar show, any tips for making the best of the day?
I have a milestone birthday coming up and planning to get a new bass to celebrate. I'm going as it seems a good opportunity to try a variety of basses to inform my decision. I'm planning to check out Reverend, Sandberg and @walshy's stand. Also hoping to try out any Hagstroms and Stingrays if there are any. 
I am leaning towards medium or short scale, but not ruling out a long scale. Currently I have two squire classic vibes, mustang and jaguar, as well as my old (an much neglected) SGC Nanyo Bass Collection.  
Any advice would be much appreciated.

No tips really, just have a mooch around and try out stuff that grabs your attention. I really like it for discovering things I hadn't seen before, and some smaller brands I didn't know about. You can get around the whole show in a relatively short time. 

I definitely want to check out the Sandberg, Ibanez, Cort and ACG stands.

• Like 1

Last year the music shop stands had quite a lot of basses as well as guitars - way more than I expected. Fair Deal Music from Brum, Absolute Music from Brighton,  and of course PMT.

• Like 1

I'll be onstage at 4pm on Sunday by the looks of it... a bit of Sandberg action plus a very lovely '71 P I've borrowed for the weekend! If you're about please say hi... looking forward to a few hours wandering about beforehand!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knicknack said:

I'll be onstage at 4pm on Sunday by the looks of it... a bit of Sandberg action plus a very lovely '71 P I've borrowed for the weekend! If you're about please say hi... looking forward to a few hours wandering about beforehand!

I don’t remember lending you my Fender, Paddy😂

• Haha 1