Why become a member? ×

UK guitar show, March 2024

Richard R

Well, that was a good day out! Managed not to spend some money, although probably would've if there'd actually been some decent deals on the Line 6 stuff.... 

A lot of really nice gear there, but as usual I was somewhat underwhelmed by a lot of things 😅

I fell in love with an Ibanez EHB1005SMS at Fairdeal Music, which was on a STUNNING show deal, but I don't really have the money, and if I'm honest I don't really like the aesthetics of them. The feel was incredible though, and I managed to get a wide range of tones out of it. Slightly let down by crappy knobs, but they're easily changed.

Had a go on the Cort Space, which was beautifully made for the money and felt good, although felt a bit cumbersome in comparison to the Ibanez, and the horrible strings on it sullied the experience a bit. Very nice instrument for the money though!

@skelf's basses looked incredible, that blue one is even more stunning in the flesh! Didn't ask for a go as I don't have the funds to even contemplate one of his glorious creations 😅.

There was a reasonable selection of Sandbergs, although the 'show prices' seemed like more than usual 😅

I liked the blackout MXR bass pedals, they looked really cool!

What I really fell for though (quite surprisingly) was the HX Stomp.... I tried that and the HX One, and although they both sounded great, the 'live' functionality of the Stomp is much better, and it has all the connection options I'd want (how does the HX One not even have a headphone socket?!). As I said, if they'd actually had a decent snow deal on, I probably would've walked away with one today. Very impressed though, and although I'm not a huge effects user, I think I could get a lot out of it.

Reflecting on the EHB driving home, I'm seriously considering building myself a headed bass with the same scale length... So that may well be my next project! 😏

PXL_20240302_114357579.MP.jpg

PXL_20240302_130521523.jpg

PXL_20240302_114823427.jpg

PXL_20240302_114819794.jpg

PXL_20240302_113202139.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I fell in love with an Ibanez EHB1005SMS at Fairdeal Music, which was on a STUNNING show deal, but I don't really have the money, and if I'm honest I don't really like the aesthetics of them. The feel was incredible though, and I managed to get a wide range of tones out of it. Slightly let down by crappy knobs, but they're easily changed.

That wasn't Fair Deal. That was www.scan.co.uk.

I managed about 3 hours of milling around before I had truly seen everything. Nothing for me this time - a few 'show deals' were just what the price is everywhere else (i'm looking at YOU Cort).

Good to catch up with @AndyTravis and @walshy though.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kyndainverse said:

I enjoyed the show, tried some lovely basses. Was planning to try stuff to inform a later buying decision. 
Left with a lovely 1987 stingray from @walshy

It’s by far the nicest (and priciest) bass I’ve ever owned. But I couldn’t resist. 
Thanks @walshy and @AndyTravis

An absolute pleasure @Kyndainverse

that bass is an absolute peach!!!

Very jealous x

• Like 1

I shall see if I can get over tomorrow afternoon.  

The weather was too bad to paint fences, so I cleared a lot of indoor jobs. Hopefully that means I am allowed out to play 😅

Some good deals on those Ibby EHBs, if I’d had been there, I’m sure I might’ve fallen off the abstinence wagon, as those bad boys intrigue me.

• Like 1

I resisted going to this... mainly because I'm going to the photography show at the NEC in a fortnight and that may well get expensive. Last time it cost me £600 for an A3 printer...

• Haha 1

I had a great time there today, it was mostly guitars but there was certainly enough bass stuff, as a newb I got a chance to try a lot of stuff I have never seen before, here are some of my impressions :

• The Ibanez EHB basses at Scan were an absolute a bargain, apparently they were B stock but were selling £200 below retail and as far I could see were new i.e. I think they might have been demonstrators. Unfortunately fortunately they didn't have an EHB1505MS PLF which the one I have my eye on. I got a chance to have a play though and it has really sold me on getting one, loved headless / multi-scale concept
  • @Manton Customs there with his beautiful creations
  • I liked the ACGuitars basses also, some beautiful finishes https://acguitars.co.uk/
  • Picked up another Pinegrove strap at a show discount, they are great
  • My first ever time playing Yamaha basses, the BB they had was lovely, had such a nice tone and felt great in the hand, lovely neck - online and in photos I never liked the looks but in reality they were really nice, added to bucket list
  • Had a really cool chat with the luthier who makes these https://www.fidelity-guitars.co.uk/  - his whole aesthetic concept of re-imagining catalogue guitars / basses from the 60's but making them with high quality materials is awesome, all the components are custom he has his own bridges made by CnC - really cool, was such an interesting guy
  • I saw (but did not bother) Cici (from Cici bass YT channel and Andertons videos) and also the dude from Crimson guitars (is it Ben?) 
  • Was excited about seeing Sandberg basses, but couldn't find them sadly

One further slightly more depressing point, standing in the queue and looking around the venue the attendees were overwhelmingly middle aged (and that's being generous), sign of the times I suppose.

@Richard R I think its fair to say there were certainly a lot of metally looking people and things there

Will be back next year, was great fun

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jolltax said:

@Richard R I think its fair to say there were certainly a lot of metally looking people and things there

I meant the A3 printer @zbd1960 bought at the photography show. 😁

(If you hang around on this site for too long you'll notice that the question "Is it any good for metal"  is mostly asked about things that are obviously useless for playing metal bass lines on. It's a sad in-joke, and yes we really should grow up)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kyndainverse said:

It’s staying in the case until my birthday in a week and a bit. Will post and NBD then :) 

It never is - if you do manage that, you’re a better man than me.

• Haha 2

In terms of age profile / demographics at these things. It's kind of inevitable and it's the same whether it's guitars/basses, photography, astronomy, hi-fi... go to any event for any of those (and I've been to events for all of them) snd most people are aged 50+. There are many reasons for this - and it has changed over the decades I've been doing these things. Older people are generally in a better financial position, so are able to go and buy stuff at these events. They also have more time. Income levels are another issue. A mix of incomes not increasing and incomes being squeezed tends to hit younger people harder.   

• Like 1

Get well soon @Richard R

Heading over shortly with my son and a few pals. There’s nothing I need but I still have funds from a recent sale on here…..so who knows what may come home with me! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTB said:

Get well soon @Richard R

Heading over shortly with my son and a few pals. There’s nothing I need but I still have funds from a recent sale on here…..so who knows what may come home with me! 

Pop in and say hello man, booth 33 👌

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Machines said:

That wasn't Fair Deal. That was www.scan.co.uk.

I managed about 3 hours of milling around before I had truly seen everything. Nothing for me this time - a few 'show deals' were just what the price is everywhere else (i'm looking at YOU Cort).

Good to catch up with @AndyTravis and @walshy though.

You're right of course! I should have remembered, because while I was trying the EHB my guitarist buddy bought a tuner pedal and got a free Scan hat 🤦

@Jolltax the Sandbergs were kinda crammed on the end of the Cort stand - bit of a shame as Alan Greensall used to run a really good Sandberg stand when Synergy were distributing them. 

I couldn't believe the 'show deal' for an Electra TT of £979, when you can buy them for about £750 normal price..... 🧐

@Kyndainverse gorgeous bass, congrats for bagging it! ❤️

I didn't spot any other BCers there, but then I forgot to wear the BC lanyard I made, so I wasn't exactly helping matters. 😅

My excitement for the HX Stomp is easing a little today, as I'm trying to remind myself I only really use a few sounds, and the pedals I have sound fine. I still kinda want one though 😬

• Like 1