Why become a member? ×

Any recommendations?

tom1946

Loves my Harley Benton HBO-850 (34")

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbo_850_bass_black.htm

and don't forget the HB Flats for that Warm and Earthy Upright-esq Tone... and gets rid of the Squeaky-Mouse of the Phosphor Bronze

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hqs_bass_45_100_flatwound.htm

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I’ve got the Lindo ldg, it’s got a nice sound acoustically and plugged in but I find the body a bit big, it’s the main reason I don’t really use it , I would definitely have a different one but I would want the slimline type, something worth thinking about 

There's a Washburn AB-35 going on eBay at the moment.

I have one of these (I have no affiliation to this seller) and I love it. If my house was on fire and I could only save one of my basses, this would be the one.

It doesn't appear to have met reserve yet, so I've no idea if it'll fall within whatever budget you may have, but it's absolutely worth a punt I'd say.

These don't come up that often, and AFAIC, there's good reason for this.

Mark

I have an Ibanez PNB14E which is a small (parlour sized)  body, 24” scale and uses the special

nylon core round wounds originally designed for the Taylor GS Mini bass. It’s an amazing little

thing, used it on hundreds of gigs and new are only around £240. The Taylors are great things

but expensive IMHO (£750 +), as are the Martin DJR range.

For a more traditional sized bass the Ibanez PCBE14MH are nice instruments, again around £240

new. I’ve also tried the Guilds like the B240E which seem really nice medium scale basses. 
As ever, it’s probably a question of trying a few out to find your fit, although not many shops

seem to carry many in stock. 

I’ve used my Washburn AB20 on gigs for 30 years and loved it, but since getting the short 

scale Ibanez it’s unfortunately become redundant. May be selling it on here soon. 😉

IMG_3488.jpeg

• Like 2

I second the recommendations for the Washburn AB series. They were great basses, and were used by many pro's at the time (they can be seen prominently in many MTV Unplugged shows of the 1990s).

I would like to add the Cort NTL-B to the list. They can be found used at good prices, and were Cort's top of the line with solid Engelmann spruce top and beautiful laminated rosewood sides. I own a fretless lefty model which is lovely. They have a mini jumbo-sized body which has a fairly big belly but a narrow waist which sits comfortably on your leg when playing seated. Acoustic tone is not loud enough to compete with acoustic guitars without amplification, but the electronics (high-level Fishman Prefix Plus with very useful EQ bands and a notch filter to fight feedback) are great. I do recommend using a soundhole cover when playing in high-volume situations like amplified rehearsals or gigs because it WILL feedback especially on the E-string. 

If you can find an old Aria AMB-50B on eBay or similar that will do you great, I picked up one for £70 or so years back it is an ovation abs back knock off.
Surprisingly loud unplugged too, strung with black nylons its what I play at home 99% of the time. 

Edited by synthaside

Dean Exotica, the older model with the Aphex System electronics, Aural Exciter and Big-Bottom Sound.

Wouldn't trade my for a Tacoma Thunderchief, an Earthwood, Guild, etc, etc, etc.

I believe in the MTV Unplugged school of thought...plug in!

It's all about tone.

FB_IMG_1620429193100.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

On 05/02/2024 at 01:35, LowB_FTW said:

There's a Washburn AB-35 going on eBay at the moment.

I have one of these (I have no affiliation to this seller) and I love it. If my house was on fire and I could only save one of my basses, this would be the one.

It doesn't appear to have met reserve yet, so I've no idea if it'll fall within whatever budget you may have, but it's absolutely worth a punt I'd say.

These don't come up that often, and AFAIC, there's good reason for this.

Mark

So the one I linked to above sold for £370.

I got mine at the beginning of Dec., 2021 for £141, and mine's better looking.

Just an indication of how prices are going up across the board.

@tom1946 did you get anywhere with your search yet?

Mark