Why become a member? ×

Walk on music for your gigs?

Have started playing the intro of the first song (Nutbush City Limits) to get some feet stomping while I did a cheesy voice over something like "thank you for coming out tonight, hope you're ready to get the party started, but we can't do this without one man. The one man we need to bring all this to another level..." Yada yada as an intro for the singer to walk out to. We never did it again. 

I have suggested walk on music in my present band, it's been knocked back. I'd settle for a playlist that we agree on to get the mood right, and to avoid the venue playing a playlist of all the songs we are about to play.

• Like 1

A loooooong time ago when we had a song that lasted less than a minute called 'Thunderbirds Are Go' we walked on to The Joe 90 theme (NO OF COURSE NOT!!) The Thunderbirds theme. IIRC the walk-on music lasted longer than the song that followed it :D

In a later incarnation of the band we had a walk-on to a mix of Ennio Morricone themes.

I suspect there were others that my addled brain has forgotten!

Rap Metal band in the noughties - walk on track was played over the PA by the sixth member of the band at the front of the stage using mini disc samples of Destiny's Child tune 'Bootylicious'.  Instead of Kelly, Michelle, Beyonce can you handle this,  our vocalist would point out to and insert the name's of the band's wives/girlfriends or frequently other people he was trying to wind up. Caused a stir on several occasions but became a standard part of our show and for the most part everyone loved it and expected it😉 

Edited by DGBass

A few years ago I was in a rock covers band called The Wayward Sons (before we morphed into a Bon Jovi Tribute band - another story).  At that time another band was using that name as well (we were first!) and they ended up being quite famous.  Anyway for one gig we played over the pa the spooky version of 'Carry On My Wayward Son that I think had been used in one of those goth TV shows before kicking off with a shorterned version of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir (which again had been used as a TV theme for something), which then went into Rock and Roll.  Went down like a Led balloon so we didn't bother again.

Back in the days when I was in an originals band that played places you could actually walk on the stage (usually from some diseased/condemned back room), we had the first minute of this as our intro - big and arresting, but nothing like the music we were going to play...and it was in the same key as the opening song...  Every time I hear it it still makes me a bit giddy... 🙂

• Like 1

You can have walk on music??

Well I honestly never considered it.

Normally I’m outside in the car park, either doing star jumps to wake myself up, or having a cigarette and pondering the ‘are we tuned down a semitone? And have I dealt with that?’, thing.

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2024 at 03:57, sandy_r said:

Whatever music (or Match) which the pub were playing until 5 mins (or so) after we started

Now that has spurred a good idea - Match of the Day Theme. May well get the attention of the football punters!

We currently have two original pieces of music for each set's walk on. Our ex-keyboard player composed them

to fit the style and keys of the set opening songs.

In my last band we would often walk on to this which I thought was great.

• Like 1