Why become a member? ×

The Joe Dart III - New Joe Dart Musicman Signature Bass

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Instrumentally, they're absolutely on point, but what are they trying to say or achieve with any of it? It all seems as hollow and empty as the kind of lift muzak you used to here while shopping.

Very much agree - muzak is exactly what it reminds me of.

Astoundingly good musicians, without doubt, but definitely not something I'd choose to listen too. No 'hate' though, just the sound of me walking by.

• Like 3

Just now, ahpook said:

Very much agree - muzak is exactly what it reminds me of.

Astoundingly good musicians, without doubt, but definitely not something I'd choose to listen too. No 'hate' though, just the sound of me walking by.

They have some absolute bangers, Dean Town and Conscious Club being two examples, but yeah a lot of it is technically great but otherwise pretty forgettable.

• Like 2

This one actually looks and sounds great, very unlike his other Music Man "signature" basses.

Not 2000$+ great, but I wouldn't mind having one for free (though I would swap out that ugly gimmicky oversized volume knob. But I do like the concept of just one knob).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I guess my issue is with authenticity (or the lack of it).

Everything is played for laughs. It's the same reason why I don't get on with Frank Zappa, Steely Dan, or any of those "zany" US bands and artists. The whole is so inauthentic and the whole aesthetic they have grates on me.

Instrumentally, they're absolutely on point, but what are they trying to say or achieve with any of it? It all seems as hollow and empty as the kind of lift muzak you used to here while shopping. 

But, it's their journey, and they're selling out stadiums to audiences who adore it, so good for them.

I can relate to this and no hate from me but it does just seem like lift music or a technical exercise. I never come away humming any sort of melody or tune, its all very forgettable despite being technically brilliant.

3 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Anyone who is remotely successful always gets hate. Especially on BC. 

Bass is fugly but that's just my opinion. 

So that's why everyone on here hates me!  I had no idea I was so successful :D

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

When did "hate" get redefined to "opinion I disagree with"?

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

No 'hate' though, just the sound of me walking by.

Precisely. I've seen no "hate" here, just differences of opinion. 'Not to my taste' is a million miles from 'hate', and as for "especially on BC", that sound you can hear is me laughing. 

• Like 1

Well I like the simplicity of a single knob. But I'm not about to trade in my JMJ from the short-scale corner of my bass wardrobe, nor fill in the space reserved for a Wilcock, for one of these (sorry Joe)

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Anyone who is remotely successful always gets hate. Especially on BC. 

Bass is fugly but that's just my opinion. 

Hate is too strong an emotion. I’m indifferent which is the worst thing.

I think @Killerfridgehas provided all the background required for this thread. Musicman have made signature models of the 3 basses Joe Dart uses. Sure they are expensive. They are made in the USA by MusicMan! Everything they make is expensive. Add in the taxes and they are even more expensive.

Do they look good? Joe Dart obviously thinks so and I guess so do the people scrambling to buy them before they sell out.

I quite like the first one as I want a passive Stingray and like the simplicity of a single control (would replace the one it comes with as it looks horrible). 

I wouldn’t pay for it though and am a bit too slow and clumsy to steal one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I actually owned a Joe Dart I and was cool for about 5 mins, but echoing @tegs07 after you bolt on all the import tax and duties, plus the 6 month wait... not worth the investment, also the first one was WAY cheaper at $1,700. Seem to be adding less an charging more, madness!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, greentext said:

I actually owned a Joe Dart I and was cool for about 5 mins, but echoing @tegs07 after you bolt on all the import tax and duties, plus the 6 month wait... not worth the investment, also the first one was WAY cheaper at $1,700. Seem to be adding less an charging more, madness!

To be fair the Joe Dart I came out before inflation suddenly skyrocketed and ran off with all of us and the cost of practically everything.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

To be fair the Joe Dart I came out before inflation suddenly skyrocketed and ran off with all of us and the cost of practically everything.

Yh it was expensive then, so now its completely outta the question tbh

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Just watching live At Madison Square Garden.

these guys deserve whatever they get. Awesome.

I watched a bit of it. Did absolutely nothing for me, but that's the music rather than the performance.

So now Ernie Ball are charging 2 grand for a short scale bass made out of a reclaimed 1970's kitchen worktop which has had the tapioca paint sanded off and a p bass pickup shoved in by someone on work experience.

I bet a MIM precision would torch this overpriced pile of "semi ironic" pseudo steampunk crap.

Edited by Wolverinebass

On 17/01/2024 at 19:38, acidbass said:

I'm always surprised how EBMM get the pickup to string alignment so consistently wrong. Another G string lost in the mix :(

The bridge position looks like it's straying close to MDP territory.

s-l1600.jpg