Why become a member? ×

Worth reading for the tuning instructions

I've seen mention of the Mazeti bass that was the unwilling donor for this on BC before, but I couldn't find a picture of the headstock to see how Mazeti originally strung it. Looks like it was available as a single cut and a double-cut, before this, the unkindest cut of all. Nice to see he hasn't abandoned his dangling bridge approach.

"The Mazeti neck has the standard long 34 inch scale, and the geometry of the Fernandez body required me to move the bridge back an inch, and the neck I also moved slightly, so the bridge saddles intonate nicely at around half their adjustment range."

The Master at the peak of his form. I was particularly impressed by the nut. 🤨

• Haha 2

BassChat would be nothing without MDP. He doesn't know it (indeed, he probably has no idea we even exist) and I suspect few of us appreciate his significance - but I am convinced that in some strange, ineffable way, he is the glue which binds the very fabric of this community together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"assembled adapted and made good by me"

...ok - so let's see if i have this straight - 'made good' now means:-

'i lost one of the shiny control knobs, but 's ok cos i replaced it with a shonky plastic one from my windup torch radio'; ...and...

'i signed off this expertly-customised guitar by writing my 'Luthier business name' on the headstock in shaky felt-tip'

Got it

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

On 17/01/2024 at 13:04, Bassassin said:

I am convinced that in some strange, ineffable way, he is the glue which binds the very fabric of this community together.

In nuclear physics the strong force is mediated by gluons, which are pairs of subatomic quarks. There is already the pair of "strange" and  "charm" quarks. Are you sugesting a new pairing of a "Bizzare" quark and a "WTF" quark?

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Richard R said:

In nuclear physics the strong force is mediated by gluons, which are pairs of subatomic quarks. There is already the pair of "strange" and  "charm" quarks. Are you sugesting a new pairing of a "Bizzare" quark and a "WTF" quark?

The 'wannabe Luthier' shouldn't talk the talk, if he can't quark the quark! 😉

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, Richard R said:

Possibly, but not necessarily. These things are beyond the remit of science and deep within the realms of numinosity. Ineffable, innit?

I've still not decided what I admire most about MDP Cleartone Conversions.  The quality of the luthiership, the accompanying prose (well, he is a published author) or the leap of imagination required to dream these things up.

15 hours ago, Paul S said:

... the leap of imagination required to dream these things up.

While I am sure that the builder here does not partake*, there are some that must surely be on drugs. "Luthier's Lucy" maybe?

Edited by Richard R
*legal disclaimer. And typos.

The terrifying thing is there should be the Fernandes neck mated to the Mezeti body, equally or even more a mutation than this. Such a fetish for mating the wrong neck to an even more wrong body would make Mary Shelley cry out in terror.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1