Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

2 hours ago, Angel said:

For me the Sugarbabes are a relatively small amount of talent driven forward by excellent production standards and marketing. Hey, I've just described most pop music ...

Nothing wrong with that of course, and I say good luck to anyone who tries to achieve success in music, and well done to anyone who does.

In all fairness I think they do write most of their songs??

Indeed, and that's why I usually don't object to them too strongly.

3 hours ago, Angel said:

For me the Sugarbabes are a relatively small amount of talent driven forward by excellent production standards and marketing. Hey, I've just described most pop music ...

Nothing wrong with that of course, and I say good luck to anyone who tries to achieve success in music, and well done to anyone who does.

In all fairness I think they do write most of their songs??

They bumble along with nearly 3 million monthly listeners and a couple of songs exceeding 140 million streams. Yes pop music as in short for popular, as opposed to unpopular music, e.g. my music 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, petebassist said:

They bumble along with nearly 3 million monthly listeners and a couple of songs exceeding 140 million streams. Yes pop music as in short for popular, as opposed to unpopular music, e.g. my music 🙂

Unpopular music - I know all about that! My main interest has always been Prog, the most unfashionable and reviled of all genres! 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, petebassist said:

Hey, I've helped create some of that music.  The unpop music, that is...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I do wonder how many people here moaning about how rubbish it all is would turn down the opportunity to appear in a playing capacity on the Hootenanny...

Oh I certainly would, but that isn't hypocrisy in any way, I also wouldn't want to go and see me play live!

• Haha 6

If you want to see a queue of lads itching to make sure you know just how much they don't like something,  and how they never ever watch it but need you to know that, just wait until it's Eurovision time again 😁

• Haha 6

Jools and his boogie woogie does my head in, he could play the same song for 42 minutes and I would be mistaken for a full album rendition.

Just get a load of acts on and play like it means something..it's very mediocre and clearly aimed at an specific demographic.

Back in the Stone Age, the Beeb insisted on a live broadcast from Scotland (Andy Stuart, Jimmy Shand & all that stuff)

All was (moderately if you like that shite) well until one NYE the compere (I forget who, was incoherently drunk & collapsed in front of the camera.

I think 'they' decided that a pre-recorded show of any description would be an improvement ...........

😎

2 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I love Eurovision!

It's basically the Gay Olympics.

Have a few folk round and make a night of it, I say.

100% this. Eurovision is TV Music Event Of The Year in my house.

Genuinely can't remember the last time I saw Hootenanny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I love Eurovision!

It's basically the Gay Olympics.

Have a few folk round and make a night of it, I say.

I'd add Drag Race to that list - maybe it's the World Championships or something.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

The Mary Wallopers are getting to be quite popular in the folk world. We met them at Moseley and their performance was very good.

Maybe I just don’t  get them, I didn’t say they were not a good performance 

On 03/01/2024 at 10:30, Angel said:

For me the Sugarbabes are a relatively small amount of talent driven forward by excellent production standards and marketing. 

On 03/01/2024 at 13:53, petebassist said:

They bumble along with nearly 3 million monthly listeners and a couple of songs exceeding 140 million streams. 

Popularity ≠ talent. 

On 03/01/2024 at 10:30, Angel said:

Precisely. Book em in at the Dog and Duck on a Monday night fronting a four piece and hear the truth...Unlike back in the day when most 'famous' performers could entertain at the scariest of levels.  Small town pub, all the ceiling lights up and three old geezers and a dog sat right in front of you....terrifying. 

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

Popularity ≠ talent. 

Popularity always requires talent of one kind or another. There are very few popular and untalented people in the entertainment and music business.

As usual, other peoples' preferences are being dismissed.