Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

On 17/01/2024 at 13:39, Richard R said:

You are very welcome to borrow my #2, but I suspect a 5 string bass currently residing  in Birmingham with a partially jammed truss rod isn't going to be much good to you.

PM me if it is.

I really appreciate the offer. But with my life at the moment, a jolly to Birmingham would probably be the last thing I should do! Trying to find permanentish accommodation at the moment! It has amazed me how quick the change has been from owning a home, happily married and financially secure, to homeless, divorced and financially precarious in under a year. 

• Sad 8

22 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I really appreciate the offer. But with my life at the moment, a jolly to Birmingham would probably be the last thing I should do! Trying to find permanentish accommodation at the moment! It has amazed me how quick the change has been from owning a home, happily married and financially secure, to homeless, divorced and financially precarious in under a year. 

With you there! Mine’s flipped in the space of a month and the prospects for a single person are crazy small. Hope it all works out for you.

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m out and possibly shouldn’t be contributing, but I’ve had two deals I couldn’t refuse. It’s weird but there seem to be so many bargains about at the moment, it’s mad. 

There's no problem with you helping out with future adjudications, crack on!

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Asking for a friend: he ordered a bass in the 1st quarter of 2023 and it hasn't arrived yet. Is he out for 2024? 

Is your friend waiting for the tree to grow that the bass will be made from? ;)

If it was ordered last year then it's fair enough - it was intended to be last year's intake and through no fault of their own it has been delayed into this year.  I believe it's order date that counts, and it's ok if it's been paid already or is pending payment.  No new business though this year.

23 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Is your friend waiting for the tree to grow that the bass will be made from? ;)

If it was ordered last year then it's fair enough - it was intended to be last year's intake and through no fault of their own it has been delayed into this year.  I believe it's order date that counts, and it's ok if it's been paid already or is pending payment.  No new business though this year.

My friend is not quite sure what the delay is. He enquired with the supplier only this morning and they're not sure either. Just keeps getting put back.

My, er, his hands, appear to be tied on the matter 🤷‍♂️.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, neepheid said:

I don't make the rules either, they're by consensus.  Re: straps - pretty generic accessories, I don't think I'd fail someone at Tier 1 for buying a strap - Tier 2, more likely, unless you're replacing a broken strap.

OK, I'm still in for Tier 1 - no basses, no gear.  The last three weeks feels like about six months though... 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Aaaaarrghh... some sadist has put a Sei J5 on the marketplace. Must... resist... must... resist...

After the Thunderbird opened the floodgates I found a 1990 Jap Squier Precision for £100. I mean, I couldn’t turn that down…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

After the Thunderbird opened the floodgates I found a 1990 Jap Squier Precision for £100. I mean, I couldn’t turn that down…

Christ, if you fell in a cesspit you'd come out clutching a Klon Centaur!

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Christ, if you fell in a cesspit you'd come out clutching a Klon Centaur!

Took it to tonight’s gig and there was an intermittent fault on the jack socket, so that needs sorting.

• Sad 1

I'm still in and steaming ahead with a new plan to avoid failure. I've bought an electric MTB!

This is a bang on move to keep me in and it's working already - let me explain.....

They cost a poopy kilogram of money so I've had to sell an amp and a bass to help fund it.

There's loads of other bits thats I need to go with it such as MTB clothing and there's a whole raft of shiny things that can go on it so the bass fund will be empty.

Plenty of other eMTB related online sites and forums to geek out in. That means less time to spend on here dribbling over stuff.

I'll check in on NYE to see if I've won so see y'all in 2025!!!!!

Edited by Mudpup
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Aaaaarrghh... some sadist has put a Sei J5 on the marketplace. Must... resist... must... resist...

Just measured, and it seems you are only 97 miles from Overwater HQ. "You're gonna fall lady, an' you're gonna fall hard, when the blues comes callin' with its callin' card." 😂

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

There is no gear i need to get this year and i have decided to re-start double bass lessons which i'm sure will do mor for my bass playing than new gear. I started just before covid and haven't really found enough time to get back to it. Had the first one a couple of weeks ago and have another tomorrow. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 3

Well, that's January almost done and dusted.  Here are the scores on the doors.

35 remain standing, 5 out.

How are the rest of you doing?  Any near misses?

I am not happy with Sire releasing some tasty basses this year, that's going to be something that will require effort to resist.

I've already got a shopping list forming for next year - a white Fender MP Dimension, and a Sire Z7 in a yet to be the determined finish.  I don't know if having a list is a good idea or not!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I can see a Dano longhorn arriving at casa S before the spring equinox, mind. :D 

Longhorn/Shortscale. Kind of doesn't make sense does it, but I definitely do see the attraction. I've not played one, but I think they look great.

One of my favourite Doris Day films, Pillow Talk, has a scene in a bar where the wonderful Perry Blackwell sings 'Roly Poly'. The bass player is holding a Danelectro Longhorn in a lovely finish.

I would saying he's playing it, but he's clearly not 😎. Perry Blackwell is still going strong at 98 years of age!

Anyhow, I made it through January without so much as a near miss. February is always a danger month as it's my month of birth. Not a significant one this year, so feeling confident.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

How are the rest of you doing?  Any near misses?

Not yet, but I will fall soon.  I am tidying out my dad's loft (to make space for a rewire) and rediscovered two big boxes of marvel comics.  Mostly British stuff, but also, some random American stuff.  Tales to Astonish issue 57 in near-immaculate condition, and in the rare Pence Variant (the cover price is in pennies, rather than cents), already bagged and carded, to protect it from my sweaty hands. 

So, perhaps that (and other comics) will fund a replacement neck and refinished body for the Washburn XB925 bass that I have.  Or more, likely, a pack of ukulele strings from eBay . . . .