Why become a member? ×

Anyone else got a particularly long finger nail?

Big J

It's part of the reason I always use a plectrum (I use the Wedgie 5mm plectrums).

I once tried to get rid of that clanking nail but I had to cut the nails down so short it actually hurt my fingers, so I've never done that again.

I suppose I could have tried harder modifying my plucking technique, but I was young and impatient and so never did that.

Mark

Edited by LowB_FTW
Fat fingers

I try to find a compromise length because I also play guitar a bit and I fingerpick, for which it's helpful to use nails. I err on the side of shorter though as playing bass strings with my nails sounds really harsh. Main bass plucking finger for me is my forefinger - a broken metacarpal which finished up giving me a slightly shorter and lower forefinger means I tend to stay with one finger rather than alternate.

7 hours ago, Big J said:

Odd question, but I’ve never found another bass player (in person) with the same thing. 
my middle finger on my plucking hand catches the strings. I have to keep it cut to the skin to avoid a clank noise on the string? 
do you guys get that? 

I do, have some expensive clippers and a diamond nail file to keep them tidy. The middle finger clank is something I really don't like

Sure, there is a difference from finger to finger of where on the individual finger the nail starts to grow over.

However I do prefer am ever so slightly overhang of nail, just ever so slightly protruding above the edge of the finger, almost flush with it.

The way I pluck the strings I more so stroke the strings with the outmost tip of my finger, then gliding over the outmost tip of my nail, rather than really plucking, pulling and striking the strings, this gives the most full range sound, with a bit of attack added from the nail as well.

Also I combine this traditional regular 2, and sometimes 3 or just 1, finger plucking technique with classical acoustic style guitar finger picking technique and index and/or middle finger flamenco guitar style finger flicking technique, which do interchangeably pretty much all the time. 

This does require a quite specific nail length though, and as said varies slightly from finger to finger how much I need to cut to get the nail to just be ever so slightly above flush with the outmost tip of my fingers, to sound just right, neither too little, loosing attack, or too much, having the strings get caught on the nails.

But I got it pretty good down and know exactly how to cut my right hand finger nails by now to get it right.

Also the nails on my left hand fretting hand I always cut super short, as short as physically possible, that is basically all the way down.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash