Why become a member? ×

Bass Dilemma

ricksterphil

I've spotted a bass for sale that I owned as a teenager. It's a hefty chunk of change so I'm unsure whether to sell a kidney* and go for it or not.

Anyone else been faced with this dilemma and gone for it? If so, was it better or worse than you imagined when you finally bought it. Did you hold it lovingly to your bosom and make it your go to bass or leave it in its case and play it occasionally and sigh?

I'm not giving a brand, but @silverfoxnik can probably work it out.

*For kidney, read both of my Mike Lulls

If you don't own it now, there's probably a good reason you don't own it now. Remember that reason. It's got to work for you as a tool for playing music on, better than both your Lulls. If you're craving this out of sentimentality, kill that feeling because you'll arrive at the same point where you got rid of it the first time, only this time you'll also be down two Lulls.

• Like 10

My first real bass was a Tokai Hardpuncher. I bought it when I was 15 and sold it a couple of years later when I upgraded to a Fender Precision Special with a graphite neck and EMGs. 
30 years later the bass came back up for sale for about 4 times what I sold it for. I hummed and hawed for a little while but it was the wife who offered the most clarity by saying “you’ll always regret it if you don’t buy it“ and “you can always sell it if you don’t like it!”  Wise words. 
I bought it and still have it 5 years later. It’s now hanging on my landing wall. 

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 1

I suppose it depends what bass it is @ricksterphil, and whether you'd buy it back as an investment or just for sentimental reasons.

I've seen a few of my old basses around over the years, but I sold them back then and haven't missed them, so I doubt I'd use them again once the initial novelty of having them back had worn off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

I've spotted a bass for sale that I owned as a teenager. It's a hefty chunk of change so I'm unsure whether to sell a kidney* and go for it or not.

Anyone else been faced with this dilemma and gone for it? If so, was it better or worse than you imagined when you finally bought it. Did you hold it lovingly to your bosom and make it your go to bass or leave it in its case and play it occasionally and sigh?

I'm not giving a brand, but @silverfoxnik can probably work it out.

*For kidney, read both of my Mike Lulls

For two Lull's, you must be talking Alembic or Wal?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Eh, it's just stuff. If you can afford it without jeopardising the roof over your head and the food on your table then go for it.

I have food over my head and am using the table as a roof. I am indeed, stuffed. Heed this advice and, as Treebeard might say, "Don't be hasty!"

• Haha 1

I think it depends on why you sold it in the first place. If it was just moving on to hopefully a better instrument then I’d say don’t bother, possible case of rose tinted glasses. However if it were a case of you really loved the bass but had to sell to raise funds for whatever reason then go for it and get it back home with you.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Some great advice, thanks everyone. I'm probably going to leave it...... probably 

A wise move. Incidentally, when you say you've seen a bass for sale that you owned as a teenager, do you mean the same make and model or the very same instrument? That's intriguing because most teenagers don't own massively desirable instruments (unless mum and dad are minted).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

A wise move. Incidentally, when you say you've seen a bass for sale that you owned as a teenager, do you mean the same make and model or the very same instrument? That's intriguing because most teenagers don't own massively desirable instruments (unless mum and dad are minted).

The actual bass and my Dad was well off enough to buy it for me.

• Like 2