Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook Contact? John Entwistle Mystery

40RobH

I recently bought a 72 Precision bass. This note had been hidden in the neck cavity.
I’m doing some detective work and wondering if the note had been put there by John Entwistle’s long-term guitar tech, Peter Cook. Unfortunately I can’t find any trace of him from the last decade. Anyone know anything about his recent history or location?
The guitar in question is almost identical to the ‘68 sunburst precision that John bought from Manny’s with a tortoiseshell pick guard.4490ECD4-6F9A-41D6-B02C-458B54CE0B7B.thumb.jpeg.d79713c0e80d3d47777fc09ce5232ae5.jpeg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

Guessing that it's a hidden note incase the bass got stolen.

Yes, that was my first thought too.

What a great and interesting find. Only thing is, if you track him down and he says "Thanks for returning the bass.... here's your £20 reward" 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Can I ask what you expect to find out? I'm not sure he'll be able to confirm whether or not John did own the bass, and even if he did, it's hardly likely to increase its value. (I say this kindly as someone who owned a bass previously played and owned by John Entwistle.)

Guess it's all part of the history, but I wouldn't let this dictate whether or not you enjoy what looked to be a very lovely and competitively priced early 70s Precision.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Can I ask what you expect to find out? I'm not sure he'll be able to confirm whether or not John did own the bass, and even if he did, it's hardly likely to increase its value. (I say this kindly as someone who owned a bass previously played and owned by John Entwistle.)

Guess it's all part of the history, but I wouldn't let this dictate whether or not you enjoy what looked to be a very lovely and competitively priced early 70s Precision.

I'm guessing he just wants to know a bit about its history. I know I would.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the replies. The guitar body is actually in fairly nasty shape and has had some very amateurish refinishing around the edges. Needs some sympathetic and probably expensive restoration and any increase in value helps with the cold logic.

Oh …and just knowing it was touched by greatness helps too - maybe some of it will rub off!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrevorG said:

That's amazing. I worked with Pete Townshend years ago but don't have his number anymore. I'll see if I can find a way to get a note to him. He might know...

Wow that would be amazing. Thanks.  Looks like the bass was given to Simon Towshend (Pete’s brother) by John E so if anyone has a contact for him….

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 40RobH said:

Wow that would be amazing. Thanks.  Looks like the bass was given to Simon Towshend (Pete’s brother) by John E so if anyone has a contact for him….

Can't make promises but it's worth a try. I work in Tv now so my music industry contacts are a bit old and spread far and wide... like me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3