Why become a member? ×

Rip me a new one…NBD

AndyTravis

So in the mid 90’s my older brother used to put a VHS on called “Nirvana: Live Tonight Sold Out”.

There was this Human shaped Spider guy on bass, about 19ft tall with 15ft long arms…

He played these bloody handsome basses - and I obsessed about them, just staring at Adverts for used Gibson Basses.

His sounds were really warm plummy and “boingy” - even with Fuzz/Overdrive sounds.

Anyhow, the years came and went…I got into the dreaded Slapping and Tickling of basses, so the Gibson’s didn’t really seem to fit that ideal.

Having recently joined an indie band, the time has come.

With a huge helping hand from our very own @walshyand some selling and some inheritance…

Here’s my new toy…

IMG_6132.thumb.jpeg.1ed132782a1200983b3a341f623c9f17.jpeg

1970’s Gibson Ripper.

And “that” sound is present.

But also, shockingly…some funkier and Jazzier sounds are to be had.

Going to experiment with the original 70’s bridge too.

Its a decent weight - a shade over 9lbs. 

And while it’s evidently “old” - it’s by no means battered. It’s in lovely condition.

I’m pretty smitten to be fair.

”never meet your heroes” - The old adage says…

I say meet them!

Natural next 😆

IMG_6139.jpeg

IMG_6137.jpeg

DC0CA41A-BA05-4E55-9D9C-8A743F1AC4D7.jpeg

3851C2B4-5869-4E0B-92A4-38E5D5C3EC04.jpeg

IMG_6131.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 44

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Quite surprised to see how much these things go for nowadays ... well north of £2k I gather.

In all fairness, I greatly prefer the Grabber. I do like me a sliding pickup. 😎

They can be inordinately pricey if clean and tidy. 

There’s a blonde one on eBay with a neck repair for £950

Have a look at the Babicz three-pointer while you're considering bridges: I took the Old Skool Gibbo one off a Thunderbird when I was fettling it, and put a Supertone like yours on, but was never completely happy with the look; it was a bit too modern. The Babicz is, too, but seems to look less like a big cast thing...and it's a great bridge.

Edit: IIRC, some of the Rippers had a BBOT on them (tho yours obviously has the posts for the 3-pointer), that could be a consideration, tho it might involve drilling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Have a look at the Babicz three-pointer while you're considering bridges: I took the Old Skool Gibbo one off a Thunderbird when I was fettling it, and put a Supertone like yours on, but was never completely happy with the look; it was a bit too modern. The Babicz is, too, but seems to look less like a big cast thing...and it's a great bridge.

Edit: IIRC, some of the Rippers had a BBOT on them (tho yours obviously has the posts for the 3-pointer), that could be a consideration, tho it might involve drilling...

1976 3 point is going back on I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

think the Grabber/G-3’a have something approaching BBOT

Utterly marvellous! I still have mine - first really posh bass I bought. I don’t mind the 3 point original bridge - I suppose I’m just used to it. Unique tone to the Ripper and that looks gorgeous Andy

Check out Patrick Djivas with PFM if you have a chance. My inspiration re: the Ripper. Other worldly talent 

Edited by three
  • Like 1

That's a bit of a peach @AndyTravis

Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

A girl I met in first year of Uni, over from Oregon on an exchange reached out to me a year or so back about a similar bass. She'd had a long long term waster of a boyfriend who she'd managed to get rid of, eventually, and he'd left a bass behind which she'd forgotten about and he claimed at the time he didn't want it back. It had been years, so she asked me what it could be worth. It was exactly the same as your new acquisition and in mint condition. She sold it for a pretty penny.

Anyway, nice aside. Enjoy the bass!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Yas, the three point love make a welcome change from the usual derision.

Why are you top loading?  Preference, or strings too short?  Just curious - no wrong answers.

Got some D’addario Half wounds on way - the current Rotos are cut too short for through body.

• Like 1