Why become a member? ×

December (cover) Challenge

lurksalot

Well done to @AndyTravis who won the November challenge, he will in due course be invited to post the picture for the January challenge, however, with another year about to disappear from the calendar,  we need to celebrate whatever music floats our individual boats.

It is thus time to let us hear that incredible cover version, whether it is a full-blown studio production, a garage band knock up, or a quick take from an inspirational night on the pop, we want to hear it.

Any cover version that you or your band have/will have recorded at any point between 1st January and 23rd December will be welcome.

december23.thumb.jpg.dc4d5e820239781ca3f7d3f5e0a62fd4.jpg

All of the usual rules apply with a few additional caveats:

It doesn't have to be a Christmas song.

You're welcome to submit anything recorded this year (not just from December), so there's no excuse for those of you in cover bands not to enter.

Don't go lifting any samples from whatever song you intend to cover, as that will breach the usual terms and conditions leading to extreme punitive measures.

This time of year a bagpipe truce is allowed! But that still doesn't make them right!

I think that covers everything , so go for it 

deadline is midnight on 23rd December , so dive in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My effort is a cover of Tom Misch's - It Runs Through Me recorded by my daughter and I earlier this year (she did the hard work on Guitar, and I played the bass and (terrible) piano line. It's a live looping thing done with an Akai MPC used like a loop pedal. Neither of us were brave enough to sing so you just have the instrumental to 'enjoy'

Edited by sammybee
link
  • Like 2

As it's all we have from this past year, here's a medley of 'punter's' videos, taking at our rare outing, September. A bit long for the Challenge rules of 5 minutes; if that's an issue I could just post just one, but you'd be missing out on the others ...

... starring Steph, our singist, Our Youngest on bass, Our Eldest on guitar 1 (stage left...), the local lad Flo (previously our guitar 2, a couple of decades ago...), for some songs, stage right, and I play drums, of course. Note the broken string upsetting the very last number, stage left. Very cramped quarters which did nothing to hamper the ambiance, as can be seen, I think. Better as a video track than audio alone. Happy daze; enjoy.

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

I've got one in the works, but I  went down with a rotten throat infection before I could finish the backing vocals,  and my singer has had the same. Also waiting for someone to add the finishing touches with some horns. 

Going for an accurate ish version this year,  not an alternative arrangement like usual.

It will be Start All Over  by Kula  Shaker 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ER...

For the cover challenge I thought I'd do a completely original song wot is all my own work. Any similarity to the Sylvester disco classic with a very similar name is purely co-incidental! This also features my wife on backing vox!

Featuring Wal bass as both disco bass and punk guitars (via Bias FX), vox by me and my wife, sequencers are Massive and USynth, drums through EZ. All rolled in Neutron 3 and Ozone 9, with some Nectar Elements on the vox.

• Like 1

I'm in for this...

This is a song I've been meaning to cover for a couple of years now, but never found an approach I've been happy with - until now! 

Techy stuff:

DAW: Studio one

Drums: Snare/Tom/Ride played live into one mic (95% is a single take - the 3rd) , then added  suitcase bass drum on a different track. Plus percussion.

Bass: Vantage Avenger

Guitars: Squier affinity Telecaster, homemade 3 string cigar box guitar with slide

Vox: SM38 mic

• Like 1

https://on.soundcloud.com/C4E1c

BassChat December cover challenge 2023
I've chosen the Kula Shaker tune Start All Over from their "K" album, as it's got a Beatles - like vibe, and I thought my friend Rob would enjoy singing it (massive Beatles fan)
With invaluable input from Phil Beavis (organ) and Paul Ibbott (Horn section), the guitar, bass, backing vocals and drums are me. Tried to keep this fairly close to the original this time, subject to my own limitations!

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 1

Thanks Douglas,  I  always used to be able to make the posts look like that but recently they don't,  and I'm not sure why. I think I'm copying the link the same way I've always done,  but who knows?

Also,  I  couldn't for the life of me get the image not to present rotated. I  hope folks still get it :)

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Thanks 1

End result. Earlier this month,  I recorded a cover of Message in a Bottle in trash/grindcore style, but could not get the vocals right; gone down with a flu so binned the idea (pardon the pun), still recovering from flu. So instead , decided to cover the Blade Runner 1982 soundtrack the end song that has been used as an intro on Somewhere on Tour in 86 and The Future Past Tour in 2023. I recorded a guitar track through various pedals, into Marshall, then SM57 mic on speaker.

Rest of the instruments are various VST, modo bass, Miroslav Philharmonics, syntronik and likes

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas, tunesmiths :santa2:

I've recorded a version of the Pink Panther theme using the arrangement that the superb Russian surf-pop band Messer Chups use on their track Pink Pantheratu. Mine contains very little of the guitar dexterity of their six-stringer Oleg. He's fantastic. I'm not.

Used a Strat copy, a Westfield P bass copy, a Vivlex delay pedal and a Roland Cube amp. Drums by MT Drums through Ableton. Recorded in Wavepad and Audacity.

• Like 1

Can the next person through let me know if this plays please.

I seem to be unable to get Soundcloud to play anything on this PC all day, this might get messy if it doesn't work for me by voting time !!

Tout de suite Harold 

...... I need to try a new upload .....

Pooh

they all play on my phone , that has me stumped then !

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

try again 

https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/tout-de-suite-harold

just trying something 

currently if the link embeds, it cant find the track. any soundcloud I try to play on the PC just has the little dot gif which suggests it is trying , but nothing else happens..

it's great when things just work , but boy is it a PITA when it just doesn't :dash1:

Edited by lurksalot

What ho! It's an old Joe Jackson song that's got nowt to do with Christmas and featuring Mr Gordon Gecko.

Edit For 

Lyrics

Spoiler

Pretty soon now, you know I'm gonna make a comeback
And like the birds and the bees in the trees, it's a sure-fire smash
I'll speak to the masses through the media
And if you got anything to say to me, you can say it with cash

Chorus

'Cause I've got the trash
And you got the cash
So baby we should get along fine
So give me all your money