Why become a member? ×

Do I need new strings?

Switch625

Hey all,

I have a Yamaha BB604 that I bought used during lockdown and have just started to play now (total beginner at bass but can play a little guitar). The strings seem to be in good condition but I've noticed that 3 of them have the silk wrap whereas the E doesn't... I'm guessing that the E is from a different set but does this mean that the 3 with wraps are Flatwounds and maybe the E isn't? Why would the previous owner have done this?

Should I consider purchasing a new set of strings or just make do with these as they are? The strings sound fine to me through an amp, not dead or flat as far as my ear can tell. They're not tarnished at all. The only thing with the E is that it's quite thick so I don't know if it's a different gauge than what would've come with the others initially, and depending on the amp/bass knob settings I often get the "clipping/cut off" sound when playing that particular string. I have to dial back the "bass" setting to avoid this.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_0218.jpg

• Like 1

I can't see any downsides to fitting a new set of strings especially if you are not happy with the existing set.

You could use this opportunity to clean the fretboard and even have the bass set up to your own liking. 

Personally I prefer light gauge strings - you should try different gauges (know any other bassists?) to try to decide what you like.

• Like 1

Just so you know for future, they’re  all round wounds. Flats are completely smooth. 

it’s not uncommon for the strings to all be the same length but because the E string machine head is closer to the bridge than A or D, and there are less rotations than the G string it probably didn’t need the silk. 

you will know if you need new strings or not by the difference in sound when you put new strings on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Switch625 said:

The roundwound set seems fine, but the flatwound seems really heavy and will have super high tension and be super stiff and hard to fret.

Flatwounds got more tension in relation to gauge than roundwounds, and Rotosound flats are known to be extra high tension.

My advice would be to get a gauge .095 to .040 flatwounds, those will be closer to the tension of the roundwound .100 to .045 string set you are planning on buying, and also I would advice getting a different brand of flatwounds than Rotosound as well.

I am not really an expert on flatwounds though, so which other brand you should get instead I really have little idea of, but i am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and suggest a good set.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I'm a long term Roto fan . Swingbass 66 are good all round roundwounds . Jazz bass 77s are really quite a high tension and stiff string , that are a lot brighter than most flats , especially when new . Not to everyones taste as a look on here will show you , but I am a fan and have a Yamaha BB734 strung BEAD with them . Good luck