Why become a member? ×

Anyone here used a pair of Markbass 1x12 cabs?

bassbiscuits

I'm a bit of a Markbass fan I must say, having reached the age where weight/size/portability are a consideration.

I've been pairing a couple of their little Traveller cabs into a compact rig - a TRV102P and a TRV121 - which sounds good.

Been thinking now of trying a pair of TRV121 cabs for a modular 2x12 set up.

A quick Google gave precisely no results for that set up - so just wondering if anyone has used a pair and how they found it.

I play loud and am a bit of a heavy-handed baboon of a player, but so far the MB stuff has stood up well to my less-than-refined approach.

Edited by bassbiscuits
edited for typos

Like @Lozz196 did, I too am using a CMD121P (IV) with an NY121 cab.  It's not technically two 1x12 cabs because one's a combo, but to all intents and purposes...

HB-50_Leathan.thumb.jpg.0683c27a46750d9ed8fefcee2c7ddc01.jpg

I also have a Tecamp Puma 900 head, so I think I'll be looking for another Markbass cab (not another NY121, maybe a different 1x12" for variety) to have that as a rig option also.

I must admit, it is taking me a little bit of time to get used to the Markbass sound, having used my old amp and cab for nearly 12 years.  I think I'm getting there - once I figured out that I didn't need to push the mids any more, they're there when the amp is flat and it only needs small adjustments to taste.  Dial in some Old School (I think this used to be called VLE) to lose some of that modernity/help disguise my sloppy technique...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

Yeah cheers folks. I bit the bullet and bought the second 1x12 cab that was up for sale to make a 2x12 rig. And so far so good. 

I’ve got a blues trio gig on the weekend at which Im intended to give the rig its first outing - some of it is straight P bass with flats territory, but some is flailing on a Mustang with distortion etc, so I’m interested to see how this sounds. 

At moderate levels in my back room it sounds slightly smoother, warmer and a tad quieter than my usual 4x10 or 1x12 + 2x10 arrangement, just in terms of how much air it’s pushing. 

But I’m confident it will sound good. 

IMG_0343.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Yeah cheers folks. I bit the bullet and bought the second 1x12 cab that was up for sale to make a 2x12 rig. And so far so good. 

I’ve got a blues trio gig on the weekend at which Im intended to give the rig its first outing - some of it is straight P bass with flats territory, but some is flailing on a Mustang with distortion etc, so I’m interested to see how this sounds. 

At moderate levels in my back room it sounds slightly smoother, warmer and a tad quieter than my usual 4x10 or 1x12 + 2x10 arrangement, just in terms of how much air it’s pushing. 

But I’m confident it will sound good. 

IMG_0343.jpeg

Nice. I'd be tempted to wedge a Mark Stand, or maybe something a little less extreme in between them to tilt the top one to point to my ears.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

On 22/11/2023 at 15:30, Greg Edwards69 said:

Nice. I'd be tempted to wedge a Mark Stand, or maybe something a little less extreme in between them to tilt the top one to point to my ears.

If you have to point is at yours ears, the dispersion is wrong, stinky poo, not very good. That means, as you tilt it, you hear better and everyone else hears worse. To get the mid-dispersion you need a cab with a high quality horn coupled to a high quality compression driver similar to those @stevie uses in his LFSys cabs.

• Like 1

I had to tilt my cabs some of the time (well just the top one usually), some gigs I was playing right on top of my rig behind the keys player and being tall I wouldn't have heard myself without turning the volume up to a point that would cause issues elsewhere on stage as my amp was mainly for monitoring. It was one of the reasons I liked my Schroeder 1212r so much.

Depends on your stage setup and height really.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never felt the need to tilt a bass cab.

Whether its quasi science or backed up by fact, I prefer mine to be sitting flat on the floor as there seems to be more low end. Not sure if that's due to the amount of contact with the ground/stage/floorboards etc, or if it just sounds less trebly because it's not pointing at my ears.

Either way, un-tilted is where they will stay for now. 

Other more informed experts will be able to explain it better than I can. But my understanding is that ground reinforcement/coupling is only effective within a certain radius of the speaker. i.e. if you're relying on a couple of small cabs to fill the room, the excited low end you hear by having the cab on the floor probably won't be heard out in the audience.

Also, treble frequencies are directional (meaning the speaker has to be pointing directly at your head to hear them clearly) and bass frequencies are omni-directional (meaning they can be heard from anywhere). Hence why you can always heard muffled, bass from outside a nightclub.

Raising the cab off the floor and tilting the cab to point at your head will give you a much better idea of what the audience is hearing.

Likewise, guitarists would also do well to do the same thing. For one, it stops the stage being swamped with low end, and two, they'll hear their treble better. Too many guitarists don't realise how piercing their treble is - and painful for the audience - because it's firing at their own knees.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

6 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Too many guitarists don't realise how piercing their treble is - and painful for the audience - because it's firing at their own knees.

I hate when treble pierce my knees like tiny knifes and bring me crying to the ground.

So painful.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash