Why become a member? ×

Sold my p bass today

Geek99

It’s gone to a good home, buyer loves it and its cheap adagio flats. I cannot play it easily any more due to advancing arthritis in my left hand - still gutted though 

IMG_8255.jpeg

IMG_8256.jpeg

IMG_8253.jpeg

BFED835D-3E4E-42DB-AE29-EAC680553F2E.jpeg

09F4586A-DFC4-40E1-B52E-FD44AAC9BC65.jpeg

Edited by Geek99
Apostrophe misdemeanour
  • Like 4
  • Sad 15

If the width of the Precision neck is the stumbling block then one of the Mustangs with the Jazz width neck would suit well. The JMJ is a Precision width neck but due to shorter scale and lesser string tension I find it much easier to play than my Precisions.

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

No I think it’s the scale length, struggling to get fingers to the right place - any clues on spotting a mustang with jazz width neck though ?

I still have my Vintage stingray clone 

The Squier Classic Vibe 60s Mustang is Jazz width, as are the Made/Crafted in Japan ones. I really like the Squier ones, play really nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can live with the look, the Ibanez EHB 1000 S is one of the most erganomic Basses available (I think it's what the 'E' stands for). Someone I know had to stop playing his P bass due to arthritis in the hand and he was pretty much giving up on Bass playing but he can play one of these fine. 

30" scale with a slim neck should make reaching frets easy, added bonus being it's about as lightweight as Basses get (I've got the 5 string multi scale and it's 3.3kg, so I guess 4 string short scale is less than 3kg), and headless means it's well balanced while being that light. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

Sorry you’ve had to move on an instrument you loved.

I’m going to chip in on Mustangs too. I’ve owned 2 modern ones and they were both so easy to play that a gig with them was like a night off! The necks were super slim and comfortable. Just be aware that for through-body stringing you need to allow for the extra length, so a 30in scale bass would need 32in scale strings.

I haven’t seen you play but you mention difficulty stretching between frets - don’t be afraid to move your fretting hand instead, that whole ‘one finger per fret’ thing is a bit of a red herring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I really hope you're not trying to use one finger per fret!

Is there anyone you can have a few lessons with, who can show you how to adjust your technique, so you can work around your arthritis?

Time, money, kids 

I play an older Fender Japan Mustang - allegedly a 1966 reissue. From what I gather the neck on that is slimmer than the JMJ Mustangs - just had a quick check and the nut seems to be about 38mm and the neck a very easy handful.

Worth a try if you spot one secondhand - I've seen them go for between £600-£800 depending on condition etc.

Very light and comfortable, but still oozes cool and sounds great - proper snarly and punchy, like a naughty little brother of a P bass.

• Like 1