Why become a member? ×

Emergency pick storage

SteveXFR

21 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

What's your preferred emergency pick storage for gigging? I'm not sure where to keep one or two for when I drop or break one

I put mine between the gap between pickups and the body of the bass as I play some tunes with fingers some with pick.

The real question, though, is what is the best pick emergency storage for metal!

2 hours ago, Bolo said:

How do you break a pick?

I've been playing for about 30 years, mostly with a pick. Couldn't break it if I tried!

There's always a few in my right front pocket though, should I lose one.

I broke a 1mm Gibson plectrum once (only once)...I still have it somewhere as a testament to WTF ! :)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

Or you could use one of the Wedgie rubber picks, that with guarantee will not break, and a lot harder to accidentally drop as well. 

I am quite fond of the soft 3.1mm one (they come on 3 different hardness/flexibility grades: Soft, Medium and Hard, and 2 different gauges. 3.1mm and 5mm).

Probably not a viable solution though as it doesn't exactly produce a regular pick sound, but rather a tone/sound that lies somewhere between pick and finger plucking.

image.png.8049107d98c99239dba2815e94194359.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolo said:

How do you break a pick?

When I first started playing I used to break hard plastic picks all the time. Once I'd switched to nylon Herco Flex 75s that stopped, although they still wear away. Using the same pick will render it useless after about a month a playing.

As for storage I try a keep at least one pick in every compartment of every case that comes to gigs with me. At the gig itself I keep my spare picks on the front of the rack shelf that holds the laptop which plays our backing track.

On gigs I have a piece of grip mat on top of my amp where I keep small items - mobile phone (in flight mode), reading glasses, and a plectrum (or ‘pick’ if you must) for the occasional number. I also have a little pouch on my key ring containing a bass plectrum and guitar plectrum, and a couple more in that little pocket on my jeans.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pick_holders.html

This, for instance:

image.png.a3ca06a258ada5004176fb8dde2d7922.png

Which could be attach to for example either somewhere on the body of the bass, or on the strap.

I've got these on the back of the headstock of every bass I own. 

I've even saved the day when the guitarist has dropped a pick and quickly reached over and whipped one out of my headstock! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bolo said:

How do you break a pick?

I've been playing for about 30 years, mostly with a pick. Couldn't break it if I tried!

There's always a few in my right front pocket though, should I lose one.

I've only broken one so far, a 0.88mm Dunlop Tortex split straight up the middle. I think that must have been faulty.

17 hours ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

Ask Leon Trotsky...

His pick storage solution made his ears bleed. That doesn't seem practical. 

21 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

The real question, though, is what is the best pick emergency storage for metal!

I would assume inside the carcass of a goat sacrificed to the dark lord

49 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've only broken one so far, a 0.88mm Dunlop Tortex split straight up the middle. I think that must have been faulty.

I used to break Tortex all the time, so much that I stopped using them. Dunlop nylon .88s don't have this problem, or the Dava control picks that I prefer.