Why become a member? ×

Dusty Hill's basses being auctioned

fretmeister

"Early in ZZ Top's career, Billy [Gibbons] and I drove up from Houston to Dallas - this is one of those stories you always hear, but this really happened, and we went to a pawn shop called Rocky's Pawn shop and on the wall was a Fender bass guitar and this guy truly had no idea what he had, and I get Billy to make the deal because he's better at that than I am. Anyway, he worked him and worked him and I got the bass for $70.  We're leaving and Billy goes 'Nope, wait a minute, no deal. You have to throw in the case.'  So he actually threw the case in, and it was close to an original case, for $70"

For an all original 1953 P, serial 970.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

"Early in ZZ Top's career, Billy [Gibbons] and I drove up from Houston to Dallas - this is one of those stories you always hear, but this really happened, and we went to a pawn shop called Rocky's Pawn shop and on the wall was a Fender bass guitar and this guy truly had no idea what he had, and I get Billy to make the deal because he's better at that than I am. Anyway, he worked him and worked him and I got the bass for $70.  We're leaving and Billy goes 'Nope, wait a minute, no deal. You have to throw in the case.'  So he actually threw the case in, and it was close to an original case, for $70"

For an all original 1953 P, serial 970.

why is it deemed impressive when the privileged rip off ordinary folk? Tw*ts, both of them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

1: Laziness

2: Because he was already making over 100% profit on whatever he took the bass in for. Just like every other pawnshop.

I would think it was gathering dust on a wall and generating little interest. There is no context to this story. Maybe it was 60 years ago in an agricultural one horse town where $70 was acceptable for an item nobody had much use for?

• Like 5