Why become a member? ×

Anyone else just ready to give up?

AndyTravis

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

It's easier to assume I'm making light of something on here - I usually am, it's the only way to stop the voices in my head taking over... plus too many people take things waaaaay too seriously, someone's got to attempt to be the court jester around here.

I wish you every success in your varied sonic endeavours!

It had me laughing but that's our sarcastic Scottish humour coming thru. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

At 64 I'm by far the oldest in our covers band with the singer being early 30's and the guitarist and drummer in their early 20's. I've known Mike the singer for a long time through playing cricket and when he wanted to expand his acoustic duo to a full band some years ago he asked mew to help out which I agreed too until they found a regular bass player. 10 years later and I'm still here, original guitarist and drummer left maybe 4 years ago to start an originals band, found replacements and got on with it. 

Probably busier than we've ever been averaging around 60-70 gigs a year definitely helps me keep young and I'm still enjoying it. We do a nice  mix of functions and pub gigs which is good. Although i must admit i wish I had a quid for every time I've been asked whose dad I am. Thing is as long as you're still enjoying gigging them age is no barrier just get out there and enjoy yourself is my motto. 

• Like 5

I go through this same thought pattern all the time. It was 1995 since I was in a proper band. Since then I had family matters that took prominence over playing. Now I'm 60, kids are on their own and I keep all the old gear around just for the chance that I meet up with some people to play with. Still have my #1 bass and a new amp for when the time comes. When I was young playing was a way to exercise my demons. I played in heavy metal bands and even formed a punk band - in Memphis Tennessee of all places. Plus the odd cover band here and there but I never really enjoyed playing unless it was in a band where original music was the focus. In my late 20's I "got religion" as my friends put it and played in a very serious Christian rock band - a Lynyrd Skynyrd meets Pearl Jam sound - and gigged A LOT. Once a player always a player I've been told. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2024 at 19:33, Wolverinebass said:

With the greatest respect, that's not true. I'm 44 and in the 2 best originals bands I've ever been in at the same time!!

I made the mistake of thinking that because I was in my mid-30s and the drummer was in his 40s that the band I was in was unlikely to go anywhere.

Sadly they seem to have imploded after I left, a great shame as the BL was an excellent songwriter and I reckon they could have had success in a "Beautiful South meets the Jam" sort of way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I made the mistake of thinking that because I was in my mid-30s and the drummer was in his 40s that the band I was in was unlikely to go anywhere.

Sadly they seem to have imploded after I left, a great shame as the BL was an excellent songwriter and I reckon they could have had success in a "Beautiful South meets the Jam" sort of way.

What type of bands or genres are out there where age is important? I know you can't be a teen idol at age 30.

Daryl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What type of bands or genres are out there where age is important? I know you can't be a teen idol at age 30.

Daryl

I'm guessing its Indie / pop music based on the bands mentioned. To be honest i'm too old to know exactly what an Indie band is :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm guessing its Indie / pop music based on the bands mentioned. To be honest i'm too old to know exactly what an Indie band is :laugh1:

Dave

I've been in 3 versions of 'Indie' over the years - my first ever band was a Joy Division tribby back in 1983.....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

It was just my perception at the time, I  suppose I was starting to think about my career and future, and starting to feel I'd got past the age for something like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So what exactly is "Indie" music. ? 

When i google it i see bands that i would just class as 80's pop music.

Dave

Jangly guitars, shoe gazing and no distortion pedal in sight....... ;) 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Jangly guitars, shoe gazing and no distortion pedal in sight....... ;) 🤣

No distortion .................. sacrilege, absolute sacrilege. :biggrin:

How is that even possible.

Dave

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

So what exactly is "Indie" music. ? 

When i google it i see bands that i would just class as 80's pop music.

Dave

It's shorthand for 'inde(scribably) awful' and covers a wide range of atrocious drivel in terms of time-span and errm...styles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the late 70s when the "Indie Charts" started it used to mean any record that wasn't distributed by a major record label. So bands on Rough Trade, Factory Records, 4AD (who were part of Beggars Banquet, but unlike the parent label had independent distribution), and of course that bastion of the "Indie Sound" PWL.

So right from the beginning it's been meaningless.

A bit like "Alt Rock" which has pretty much been mainstream rock since the mid-90s.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

In the late 70s when the "Indie Charts" started it used to mean any record that wasn't distributed by a major record label. So bands on Rough Trade, Factory Records, 4AD (who were part of Beggars Banquet, but unlike the parent label had independent distribution), and of course that bastion of the "Indie Sound" PWL.

So right from the beginning it's been meaningless.

A bit like "Alt Rock" which has pretty much been mainstream rock since the mid-90s.

That explains it perfectly. 

Now........ what is Alt Rock. ? you then get classic rock which now covers so many different styles too.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That explains it perfectly. 

Now........ what is Alt Rock. ? you then get classic rock which now covers so many different styles too.

Dave

Never mind what is Alt Rock, my life was changed when I watched some BBC? documentary, the moment of enlightenment was 'Yacht Rock', before that I was just listening to rock music...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Consider myself lucky to have played in all sorts of pub and club bands for the last 50 years. There are always nights when it seems a pain to load the car and drive to a gig but normally when I get to the venue and play it all seems worth while. I am still fascinated by the fact that I have somehow managed to get away with being in some good local bands with my minimal natural talent but admittedly a lot of hard work.

One day there might be a time when I feel I have to stop but I hope that day does not come anytime soon.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Exactly, indie isn't a style, it's just a mixed bag of non-mainstream bands.

And anything on the PWL label...

You don't much more mainstream than that!

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1