Why become a member? ×

One time GDPR pop up will be appearing from Wedneday.

Kiwi

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I found the pop up massively unclear and misleading. The + or - sign and then a box for a consent tick. What happens if you leave the box unticked, but the plus sign remains? Conversely, what if the box is ticked, but you leave a minus sign? It should not be this opaque and smacks of prevarication.

Prevarication is a generous assessment. It is design to negate any user choice.

ah ok - so I looked at the vendors list - loads and loads and loads of them - these boxes didn't have ticks - they had a plus sign to the right of them  

really not sure if I would need to tick each one to stop them or leave them unticked - if I need to tick them it would take a very long time 

I didn't click onto the other column - probably another long list of god knows what 

I can only assume that if the box is unticked, then you're not providing them data. If it's anything other than that then I'd argue its false representation and bordering on illegal practices. The box is empty with the word 'consent' next to it so for me the only way to interpret that is that if I tick it, I consent, if I don't tick it, I haven't consented.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm in France, with a VPN running from a UK IP address. The message came up in English, and all options pre-ticked to acceptance, with no option to refuse all but 'essentials'. This, to me, is unacceptable, and does not ispire confidence in the motives of this outfit. During the initial Test phase, I laboriously went through all of it and 'un-ticked' it all. I am not willing to do this again.

Whilst this remains, I shall not be participating in Basschat; I'll be back when it's gone, or not at all, whichever comes the sooner. Meanwhile, my avatar and signature will be changed to ...

kKt36pb.png

I'm with DAD...

2 hours ago, atsampson said:

As someone who does ethics and data protection review for research projects as part of my day job, the interface design here is stunningly bad. In order to not consent to tracking, you have to individually click on dozens of tiny checkboxes - realistically, nobody is going to do that, so this is not meaningful consent. You need to ask a clear yes/no question, not attempt to force users into agreeing with what you want. (And, realistically, I think it's very unlikely that you can actually meet UK/EU data protection requirements if you are "sharing" data with that many "partners" - there is no way to do meaningful review.)

@dewww - can you please clarify this?

Can you clearly advise whether we NEED to tick every box to refuse consent or, as is very much implied, do we leave the box unticked to refuse consent?

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I found the pop up massively unclear and misleading. The + or - sign and then a box for a consent tick. What happens if you leave the box unticked, but the plus sign remains? Conversely, what if the box is ticked, but you leave a minus sign? It should not be this opaque and smacks of prevarication.

I believe that the +/- is to simply reveal or hide the description of purpose for processing and it doesn’t affect the consent status of the tick box.

I wonder if the initial state of the tick boxes is different depending on what device/browser is being used. I’m using Safari on iOS and all the tick boxes were pre-selected. It was a right royal pain to manually deselect them all. 

28 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I wonder if the initial state of the tick boxes is different depending on what device/browser is being used. I’m using Safari on iOS and all the tick boxes were pre-selected. It was a right royal pain to manually deselect them all. 

Safari on MacOS had them all deselected apart from the ones that you can't deselect. The same with Opera which I'm now using to sandbox Basschat.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I believe that the +/- is to simply reveal or hide the description of purpose for processing and it doesn’t affect the consent status of the tick box.

I tried changing it and it did sweet FA, no extra info or anything. 

This is the 2nd outing for Ezoic and they’ve dropped the ball again, whether this is incompetence or obfuscation is unclear, although I suspect the latter. Do get me started on the side tab, ‘one time’? Not so much 😤.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I tried changing it and it did sweet FA, no extra info or anything. 

This is the 2nd outing for Ezoic and they’ve dropped the ball again, whether this is incompetence or obfuscation is unclear, although I suspect the latter. Do get me started on the side tab, ‘one time’? Not so much 😤.

Interesting. The fact that they can’t manage to present a consistent experience across different browsers/platforms suggests a degree of incompetence but I think obfuscation is still a likely aim. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, choob.squeemer said:

Im using safari - on the vendors list all the boxes were unticked 

Just checked the site on my iPad (Safari/iOS) and all of the consents were un-ticked (apart from the greyed out ones). I wonder if some tweaking of the defaults has been carried out during the course of the day?

All of this speculation is all well and good but how do we know that our explicit settings are actually being honoured? It could all be a placebo to make us think we’re in control. Call me cynical but any trust I might have had has completely evaporated. ☹️

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bix said:

Why does the Privacy settings icon continue to be displayed on all pages even after I have confirmed my settings?

Poor web scripting! However by installing Adblock Plus and using the block element feature I have stopped the b*****d thing appearing. 

Edited by 3below
  • Thanks 1

What the hell?

Have people actually seen the vendor list you’re potentially voluntarily and forcibly consenting to? I’m on an iPhone and I can scroll non stop down a list of companies I’ve never heard of for minutes, there’s hundreds of them, on my phone all pre consented to, and some vendors have an automatic consent tick box that you can’t untick? If you have a spare hour you can untick the ones that let you and suffer the rest. 

I don’t consent to any of these third parties having my data. There are no reject all options, so what are my options as a PAYING user on this platform? 

Is my only option to stop using the site? 

seriously what gives?

• Like 7