Why become a member? ×

Gibson Gene Simmons EBO

JohnDaBass

Not really a Kiss fan but that's a nice looking bass.

Not 7 grand nice though.

The current Gibson business model seems to involve a big increase in output of their Custom Shop/Murphy labs range.

An Epiphone model would be cool, but again Epiphone seem to be expanding their top tier models into £1k+ territory on the skinny string side, can't be long before they find a reason to put out a bass in the same price range.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

Makes me chuckle that GS has had so many signature basses when he barely played on most of the famous Kiss stuff.

And there’s that painful video where Carole Kaye is trying to teach him bass.

short scale, weird pickup placement and huge pickguard obviously designed to conceal old pickup rout on original.

looks good, if you squint.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Makes me chuckle that GS has had so many signature basses when he barely played on most of the famous Kiss stuff.

And there’s that painful video where Carole Kaye is trying to teach him bass.

More of the same old nonsense. Gene actually played on probably 75 - 80% of all KISS output so that statement is incorrect. His reasons for not appearing on the rest were reasonable enough (away filming/song by bandmember who had written/demoed a suitable bassline already etc)

Also, the Carol Kaye thing is a set up. He knows very well how to play bass and was appearing dumb for the publicity. If you haven't realised by now that Gene gets off on all the haters talking about him then you're missing the point.... see, you're all doing it again now ;)

As to this Gibson bass. I love the look and it's a cool reissue of his customised EBO from late 76/early 77. Price point is silly but the investors will buy them up and they'll disappear quick enough. I'm looking forward to seeing a circa £500 Epiphone version or maybe a circa £1500 Gibson standard model.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Price point is silly but the investors will buy them up and they'll disappear quick enough.

It doesn't go any way to disproving the impression that Gibson are a tone deaf "lifestyle" company and that making musical instruments is merely a means to an end in order to achieve this business classification, rather than being their primary focus any more.

• Like 1

Although I am a huge Kiss fan, I’m not so taken with Gibson basses.

I’m pretty sure though that they wouldn’t have made them if they weren’t confident they would sell, in which case, that’s easy money.

There are a lot of seriously minted Kiss fans out there as evidenced by all the Gene Simmons Vault series buyers.

Most of these won’t see the light of day much, if at all, but that’s signature instrument collectors for you 🤷‍♂️

I like the look of it, like the idea of the pickup position, like the idea of a better bridge than the 3-point.  Bridge cover seems pointless but that is easily removed.  The thing that puts me off is the bound edge to the body, I can't get around that - such a hard angle is impossible for me the way I play.  I have a LP Jnr DC which has a slab body and is just about OK, but binding is too much. 

Oh, yes, plus the fact that it is £6.5K more than I would pay. :D 

• Like 2

I wonder if they actually believe their own hype?

“Calling Dr. Love - Your New Bass Has Arrived

Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson's legacy through accuracy, authenticity, and attention to detail.”

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I wonder if they actually believe their own hype?

“Calling Dr. Love - Your New Bass Has Arrived

Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson's legacy through accuracy, authenticity, and attention to detail.”

I hope not. The original pickguard on Gene's 77 bass was shaped a little differently and there was more space between the controls.... ;)🤣

Attention to detail 7/10 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

"Each instrument celebrates Gibson's legacy through accuracy, authenticity, and attention to detail.”

Given the information on the page about how much the original was hacked about I wonder how "authentic" this recreation is?

Is there an additional pickup cavity under the scratch plate up by the neck in the original position?

Filler/drill holes in the body where the three point bridge was taken out and replaced with a high mass?

For 7k I'd want Mr Simmons breaking out into a sweat if someone challenged him to a game of 'find the lady' with 2 of these and his original being swapped around.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cato said:

Given the information on the page about how much the original was hacked about I wonder how "authentic" this recreation is?

Is there an additional pickup cavity under the scratch plate up by the neck in the original position?

Filler/drill holes in the body where the three point bridge was taken out and replaced with a high mass?

For 7k I'd want Mr Simmons breaking out into a sweat if someone challenged him to a game of 'find the lady' with 2 of these and his original being swapped around.

Ah yes, but then you would have the ‘I hate relics’ brigade to deal with 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

One of the only Simmons related basses that really does it for me (on looks alone as I've never played one) is @cetera's Feline Spector SB-1.

That's a damn fine looking bass and sounds nice on the videos I've seen.

I've never seen one for sale and don't suppose I ever will 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

You're a bass sage Andy and we love you but this isn't true at all.

5 hours ago, cetera said:

Sadly, cult of social media means that people just confidently spout stuff that they have no direct knowledge of. I've been guilty of it myself at times... as I'm sure we all have.

More than happy to be wrong. 👍🏼🫡

• Like 4