Why become a member? ×

Anyone else out of gas?

joel406

I’m looking for a guitar as well. Got a lovely old Washburn that I have given to daughter so clearly I need a new one for these fat fingers to play. 

just got a seven guitar rack and there is a space so it’s only natural. That’s what I’ll tell the CFO , the guitar rack made me do it. 

On 09/09/2023 at 22:14, joel406 said:

Over the last 7/8 years my personal equipment has reached a level where I have no need, or want, for anything.

Amp wise I already have the best. As well as multiple heads and cabs.

I own 6 outstanding instruments. Carefully selected, and compared to the likes of Lakland, MTD, Alembic and any other brand you can think of. They fit me and sound fantastic.

Over the last 3/4 years I have gone primarily ampless. And now I have six pedal boards. Any of which can, and do, get the job done. 

Anyone else out there that want for nothing? It actually feels great.

I reached a similar position recently.  To cure this, I took up drumming and now we've started all over again!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, chris_b said:

I  thought I was GAS-less. . . . until I heard a Tec-amp Puma 900 this afternoon. I really liked it!!

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Awe jings crivvens now i've got GAS. :dash1:

Always liked the look of them and you've put it in my head as a great back up amp to my SVT7 :laugh1:

Best not look at BassBros then....😲 I have a Puma 900 and its a powerful and great sounding amp 👍

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Haha 1

On 15/09/2023 at 18:24, Obrienp said:

I wish I could be GAS free! I get terrible GAS when I look at the basses for sale section in the market place on here. There are several medium scale basses for sale at the moment that are very desirable to me and they don’t come up very often but I know I don’t actually need them. I also know that GAS is some form of internal psychological justification for not practising and challenging myself enough: ” if only I had this, or that much better bass, I would play so much better”. In reality I would sound just as rubbish on a shiny new bass and I still wouldn’t be able to slap! If I stopped wasting time looking at for sale posts and put as much effort into practicing, I might actually play better!

my slapping technique solidified a lot after buying a status ...and now i can do pretty much the same on all my other basses ..but it was the status that did it for me, so in my case good gear did improve my skills.

• Like 1

GAS is the whole point isn’t? It’s the thrill of of the chase, the hoarding of equipment, the jealousy you have of others who have equipment you don’t, the buzz of looking through the ads on payday (before you’ve paid your actual bills), shiny, pretty , things 😈

Nobody actually plays any of this c**p do they??

• Haha 2

I'm down to just three basses and even then I might soon be getting rid of one of them.  Now that I no longer gig but just jam with mates or play at open mic evenings this is enough. I'm going full pelt down the minimalist road and shedding loads of stuff that's become peripheral.  It makes me smile when I hear people use the excuse ' but I might need it one day' knowing pretty much what they're referring too will forever and a day remain in the loft/at the back of the cupboard/in the garage. My parents were like that, massive hoarders and when my dad died it took ages and lots of money to sort out all their cr@p. I don't want to burden my kids in the same way. I know after I'm gone they won't be wanting any of my musical instruments.

• Like 1

I know I have an excess of basses, and I don't give a monkeys about it.  It's want, not need, and I'm 100% comfortable with that.  If you're not gigging, you only "need" one.  If you are gigging then there's an argument for "needing" two (for backup purposes/being professional if nothing else).  Anything beyond that is pure avarice, that's fine and I don't care to what depths of hell I'm going for my bass hedonism.

FWIW (not that I need to justify myself to anyone) - I play *all* my basses on rotation at gigs and rehearsals and any which aren't getting a look in get sold.

• Like 3

On 16/09/2023 at 10:57, kwmlondon said:

I don’t want to OWN any more basses, but I’d love to spend some with some just to find out what they were like. In an ideal world there would be an instrument library where you pay a fee and you can loan out one thing at a time. 

The closest thing to this is a Bass Bash! You can't borrow it to take home of course,  but where else can you play a Dingwall, Wal, Jabba custom, etc. back to back and talk about them?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I don't want to burden my kids in the same way. I know after I'm gone they won't be wanting any of my musical instruments.

Yes, that’s been on my mind for a while but I find it really hard to get down to doing it.  It’s probably one of the best legacies you can leave your kids though: nothing to sort through when you are gone (except money in the bank of course).

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy with my lot at present, and have gotten rid of what I don't want. The ones that I've modded are where I need them to be, so I'm just going to play them. Still a few wee bits to sell, but that's all the trading I'll be doing for a good while

Edited by Bassman1974
Incorrectly worded

Pretty happy with the kit I own but circumstances/priorities elsewhere have overtaken the desire to acquire anything else.  In reality, I probably need to get rid of stuff.

Earlier this year, work reduced my days and my wife quit accountancy taking a less stressful (and lower paid) job; reckon compared to 12 months ago we're down about 35% on our take-home income.  We have a slow moving garage conversion project going on, so we throw £400-500 a month towards that; getting that finished overrides any musical purchases.

• Like 1

I can safely say I always have GAS for something new... But I have toned down a fair bit during the last few years. I have a couple of great basses that serve my needs perfectly. However, I always like to try out new things. And being a lefty, I can rarely find these new things in music stores, so instead I buy (used) to try. High on my list of wants is a multiscale bass, and I kinda sorta want a Precision. And having owned my my Atelier Z Baby Z-4J for about 1.5 years now, I can safely say I've been bitten by the shortscale bug. I now really want a Mustang or shortscale P. I bought a Harly Benton PB Shorty to try, and while it sounds great it's a poorly built and finished bass with a neck so bendy I could swear it's made of reed instead of maple. There's a Sandberg Lionel for sale local to me and I have been looking into ways to afford it...

Guitar-wise, I'm very happy to have a G&L ASAT Special again after foolishly selling my old one about 10 years ago. That and my old MIJ Squier Strats and Carvin 7-string leave me nothing more to wish for. And the Taylor GS Mini acoustic I own is absolutely perfect in every way!