Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

On 12/01/2024 at 13:26, mrbacco said:

I agree ... materials and work are important to the outcome of a good guitar (bass) 🙂 

I disagree, partly.  I have to look at a bass and think, "Wow".  It also does need to be well made and have good materials but if its appearance doesn't interest me, I won't buy it.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2024 at 12:57, geoff90guitar said:

Remember, it’s not what a guitar LOOKS like!

It is wrong to suggest that looks aren't a factor.  An instrument could be the finest, well crafted, hand finished, Smithsonian worthy example of its kind - if that instrument is a Jazz bass, it can get in the bin.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, neepheid said:
On 12/01/2024 at 12:57, geoff90guitar said:

Remember, it’s not what a guitar LOOKS like!

It is wrong to suggest that looks aren't a factor.  An instrument could be the finest, well crafted, hand finished, Smithsonian worthy example of its kind - if that instrument is a Jazz bass, it can get in the bin.

Thing is looks are very much personal taste. Show me an Alembic covered in points, twirls, inlays and an overabundance of knobs and I'll reject it out of hand as fugly steampunkery. But I have no doubt it would play and sound great.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thing is looks are very much personal taste. Show me an Alembic covered in points, twirls, inlays and an overabundance of knobs and I'll reject it out of hand as fugly steampunkery. But I have no doubt it would play and sound great.

But that is the thing, you will never pick it up so it doesn't matter that it sounds great. So looks are very important.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Indeed. Some people actually find singlecuts attractive.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

But that is the thing, you will never pick it up so it doesn't matter that it sounds great. So looks are very important.

Exactly.

All anyone needs to do is look here, on Talkbass and any of the countless bass boards on Facebook...post after post after post where people show off their new basses and people reply "Wow, that looks great!"

I have twelve basses and every, single one I own, I bought because it looked good.

I can't remember ever seeing anyone saying "Hey, my bass is as ugly as sin, but it sure sounds good!"

When I walk into a music store and something catches my eye, I pick it up, plug it in, and take it from there, and when I see something special hanging up amid a bunch of humdrum Fender Player basses, no way I'm even giving the Fenders more than a cursory glance.

PhotoCollage_1693651973789.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hey! My bass is as ugly as sin (and is crap in all sorts of other ways) but it sure sounds good!

AtEH-withtheKay.thumb.jpg.c5f2146eb7eddbd9ef956876edfdeb53.jpg

That Kay Tulip was my first bass!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, geoff90guitar said:

How can I pull out of this topic, seems to be going on & on?

At the top of the page there should be an orange button 'Following'. Click it and there will be an option to unfollow the topic.

• Like 1

Nice photo for sure...it's all about lighting and the proper angle.

I already have the Dakota Red version or I'd buy it.

Of course, if I walked into Guitar Center or Sam Ash tomorrow and saw it hanging up, I'd buy it regardless.