Why become a member? ×

Talk me into or out of it

dclaassen

After hauling my dual showman around, I’ve decided to sell it on. I found a TE G12 rig with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs at a good price. I like the idea of the tube/solid state option, on board compression, and foot pedal. I’m also thinking the 2 cabs gives a bit of flexibility. 

Thoughts?

Those cabs are mindblowingly heavy. You couldn't pay me to have them. You could get a modern 2x10 that will outperform those in every way.

I wouldn't go for the amp either. On board compression with a bit of drive (not actually a tube) could look at a Darkglass M900 V2, or an Ashdown ABM, or if you don't want drive but just a great sound an EBS Reidmar. 

• Like 2

If its a GP12 you mean and is the SMX variant and not one of the high power series AH amps, I'd have to wobble and say try it out to see if you like that sound. The tube provides no real distortion, its more harmonic overtones. The dual band compression is sublime imho. I still use one although its the pre-amp only version with an uber lightweight class D rack power amp. A curious mix but it works for me. Classic TE   4 x10's like the 1048H made of mdf or ply are getting on for high 30's Kgs, they feel even heavier. The 1x15 1815 cab isn't far behind that. They are an itch i've scratched and although they sounded grand, they were just too much to handle and overkill for bar gigs. I still use a couple of older bigger cabs, all 1x15's but not together. Lightest is 18kg, heaviest around 27kg and thats heavy for me. Try the GP12, it may surprise you, but i'd pass on the cabs!🙂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

I have no enthusiasm for anything TE, everything is mind-bogglingly heavy, and nothing is that impressive sounding.

I'm just about old enough to remember when they were the new standard, and at the time they were impressive compared to the other options. But, as you say, they are not really impressive now. The tech has moved on considerably.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DGBass said:

If its a GP12 you mean and is the SMX variant and not one of the high power series AH amps, I'd have to wobble and say try it out to see if you like that sound. The tube provides no real distortion, its more harmonic overtones. The dual band compression is sublime imho. I still use one although its the pre-amp only version with an uber lightweight class D rack power amp. A curious mix but it works for me. Classic TE   4 x10's like the 1048H made of mdf or ply are getting on for high 30's Kgs, they feel even heavier. The 1x15 1815 cab isn't far behind that. They are an itch i've scratched and although they sounded grand, they were just too much to handle and overkill for bar gigs. I still use a couple of older bigger cabs, all 1x15's but not together. Lightest is 18kg, heaviest around 27kg and thats heavy for me. Try the GP12, it may surprise you, but i'd pass on the cabs!🙂

The amp reminds me a bit of the Musicman I had many years ago. If it sounds close to that, then I'm happy with that. Having the Preamp/power amp setup lets you upgrade as you need and still retain what is (I hope) a top-notch preamp for what I want it for. The amp and cabs can be updated as I start actually making money from gigs. That's the plan, anyway. 

I think it's easy to acquire great gear...the hard part is doing it without spending bucketloads of money...:)

The old Trace Elliot cabinets are just incredibly heavy. I actually preferred the Peavey era ones from 2006-2012 as they were much lighter and had better power handling capabilities. The old Trace Elliot cabs were good in their day but they are antiquated now compared to modern cabinets.

Also bear in mind that most GP12 SMX type amps are coming on about 30 years old, so unless the price is a steal I would recommend trying before buying as there are components that can go 'pop' at anytime that might might be difficult for a tech to economically repair or source parts for. I mean, most Trace Elliot amps are pretty reliable.

I would probably get the amp and pair it with a more modern, lighter 4x10, 2x12 or 2x10. If you must have a matching Trace Elliot cabinets I would recommend picking up one of the new Peavey era Trace Elliot cabinets instead. I think that someone on BC is selling one of the Peavey era 4x10s ones for a very good price (i.e. I would buy it but I can't collect it from the West Midlands so it isn't possible). 

If you don't mind it weighting about a ton and it is reasonably priced (these old solid state Trace Elliot amps shouldn't cost much) I'd say get it for all the world!

I never had a better bass tone than when I still had my old solid state Trace Elliot amp, and mind I owned one of those sought after legendary all tube Ampeg B-15S amps (the S model being the highest wattage of the B-15 amps, which delivered 60W, just exactly enough power for band rehearsals with a rock band and for playing up small bar sized venues without additional PA support needed) as well at some point.

I very much regret being stupid enough to sell both, but at least it would be easy to find a new old Trace Elliot SS cheap used, a B-15S not so much, both rare and expensive to find used.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

If it gives the sound wanted (and getting that sound can’t be obtained with other lighter gear) you can afford it, and can lift it then go for it. From my experience TE gear does have a specific sound that I’ve  ever really heard from other brands, if that’s the tonal goal then do it whilst you can. Sadly I’m no longer able to carry the gear I’d really like but am glad I had it when I was able to.

• Like 1

Basiccally I'd echo the previous posters.   The cabs are fine for a rehearsal room situation where they're going to sit for years but very heavy and bulky for moving regularly. The head though heavy might be a good option from a performance/price point of view.

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

The old Trace Elliot cabinets are just incredibly heavy. I actually preferred the Peavey era ones from 2006-2012 as they were much lighter and had better power handling capabilities. The old Trace Elliot cabs were good in their day but they are antiquated now compared to modern cabinets.

Also bear in mind that most GP12 SMX type amps are coming on about 30 years old, so unless the price is a steal I would recommend trying before buying as there are components that can go 'pop' at anytime that might might be difficult for a tech to economically repair or source parts for. I mean, most Trace Elliot amps are pretty reliable.

I would probably get the amp and pair it with a more modern, lighter 4x10, 2x12 or 2x10. If you must have a matching Trace Elliot cabinets I would recommend picking up one of the new Peavey era Trace Elliot cabinets instead. I think that someone on BC is selling one of the Peavey era 4x10s ones for a very good price (i.e. I would buy it but I can't collect it from the West Midlands so it isn't possible). 

All good points...this rig is way underpriced. I already have a spare power amp, and am planning on replacing the speakers as we gig more. I am still not convinced that 10's will actually make me happy on low notes...we shall see. 

35 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

If you don't mind it weighting about a ton and it is reasonably priced (these old solid state Trace Elliot amps shouldn't cost much) I'd say get it for all the world!

I never had a better bass tone than when I still had my old solid state Trace Elliot amp, and mind I owned one of those sought after legendary all tube Ampeg B-15S amps (the S model being the highest wattage of the B-15 amps, which delivered 60W, just exactly enough power for band rehearsals with a rock band and for playing up small bar sized venues without additional PA support needed) as well at some point.

I very much regret being stupid enough to sell both, but at least it would be easy to find a new old Trace Elliot SS cheap used, a B-15S not so much, both rare and expensive to find used.

I'm getting rid of an all-valve Fender (Dual Showman) head that weighs about 50 pounds.....so not to worried about the TE head...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tdw said:

Basiccally I'd echo the previous posters.   The cabs are fine for a rehearsal room situation where they're going to sit for years but very heavy and bulky for moving regularly. The head though heavy might be a good option from a performance/price point of view.

Exactly...and I am intrigued by some of the features....

17 hours ago, dclaassen said:

After hauling my dual showman around, I’ve decided to sell it on. I found a TE G12 rig with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs at a good price. I like the idea of the tube/solid state option, on board compression, and foot pedal. I’m also thinking the 2 cabs gives a bit of flexibility. 

Thoughts?

Do you definitely need those exact cabs? As others have said there are more modern ones that won't wreck your back that will probably do the job nicely.

17 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Thoughts?

My only thought is, if you are trying to reduce the weight you carry, why are you stopping half way?

My 2p. . . . a good back beats a good price every day. There are plenty of better and lighter cabs out there, but my suggestion is that 2 Barefaced 112's will be as loud as a Dual Showman, have better tone and be 20% of the weight of that TE stack. 2 cabs will give you a lot of flexibility. Put a Trace amp through them and you'll have a better Trace sound than you'd get through Trace cabs.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

My only thought is, if you are trying to reduce the weight you carry, why are you stopping half way?

My 2p. . . . a good back beats a good price every day. There are plenty of better and lighter cabs out there, but my suggestion is that 2 Barefaced 112's will be as loud as a Dual Showman, have better tone and be 20% of the weight of that TE stack. 2 cabs will give you a lot of flexibility. Put a Trace amp through them and you'll have a better Trace sound than you'd get through Trace cabs.

Probably…and something like that will be the future plan…

10 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I picked it up…the quad cab is heavy, but the head is really good, and the 15 is usable. I’m never going to be an Elf and 10” kind of player.

Try a good 2x10.  (Says the man with a 1x15 powered cab 😂)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just to point out that a 1x15 is a terrible match for a 4x10. It just can't keep with the 4x10 before it fails.

See if I agree with you after next week’s rehearsal. To my ear, the 15 just adds in some nice lows…how high of volume levels are you talking about? Seems these cabs work really well with the amp, as they should since they are part of a factory matched stack.

Loving the tone though….

now I have to sell the Fender… :)