Why become a member? ×

Talk me into or out of it

dclaassen

25 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The last thing a marketing department will tell you is that you only need one cab. Their goal is to sell you as much as they can, not what you actually need.

Dunn about that - there's plenty of units being touted as a 'one cab solution', pretty much any 4ohm cab. 

On 30/08/2023 at 19:51, dclaassen said:

After hauling my dual showman around, I’ve decided to sell it on. I found a TE G12 rig with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs at a good price. I like the idea of the tube/solid state option, on board compression, and foot pedal. I’m also thinking the 2 cabs gives a bit of flexibility. 

Thoughts?

I've just played a festival where the guy playing in the band before me had an old TE amp with an Eden 410 cab. He sounded pretty good and the rig more than did the job. He said to me the he's looking for a cab with a bit more headroom, but his current rig works well enough and sounded great. 

The trouble with mixing a 410 with a 115 is that you do lose a bit of efficiency with different speaker sizes. I once replaced a 115 cab with a second 410 and it made quite a noticeable difference. I wouldn't worry too much about needing a 15 speaker for the bottom end if I were you - in my experience, a decent 410 will handle the lows perfectly well. 

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've just played a festival where the guy playing in the band before me had an old TE amp with an Eden 410 cab. He sounded pretty good and the rig more than did the job. He said to me the he's looking for a cab with a bit more headroom, but his current rig works well enough and sounded great. 

The trouble with mixing a 410 with a 115 is that you do lose a bit of efficiency with different speaker sizes. I once replaced a 115 cab with a second 410 and it made quite a noticeable difference. I wouldn't worry too much about needing a 15 speaker for the bottom end if I were you - in my experience, a decent 410 will handle the lows perfectly well. 

I’m going to try using just the 410 cab at next week’s rehearsal.

• Like 1

You're probably going to play louder with just the 410 because down on the floor the tone isn't getting to your ears.

I did a gig with a borrowed 410 in a pub I had played plenty of times with my 215. 'Stage' is just a roped off corner of the room. Could not hear myself without more everything. The shock came when I went out front for a listen and bass was way way too loud. Back on stage, turned it down and made do with knowing I was playing the right notes even if I couldn't hear them properly.

Re 410 +115. Both cabs are robust enough to take half of a smx250 so long as you don't go mad on the low EQ. Reduce 30hz to the bottom and leave it there.

A powerful modern wunderamp could get you in big trouble as the 410 peacefully drowns out sounds of the 115 turning it's toes up down on the floor.

• Like 1