Why become a member? ×

Non standard tunings

SteveXFR

Blues and folk music have a lot of non-standard and open tunings on guitar which can be replicated on bass (or you could just get a five string bass and transcribe).

Albert Collins played in F standard (a half step up) at times. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Are non standard tunings common outside of hard Rock and metal? I'm constantly changing tunings anywhere between drop A and E standard for metal covers but if I try anything like soul, pop or reggae it is almost always in E standard tuning. 

So many metal songs I've never learned as I can't be fecked with messing about with tunings, even on a five string

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

So many metal songs I've never learned as I can't be fecked with messing about with tunings, even on a five string

I know what you mean. I've not bothered with much in C because my 4 string won't go that low and my 5 won't go that high.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I know what you mean. I've not bothered with much in C because my 4 string won't go that low and my 5 won't go that high.

I like Carcass because they tuned to B, so it's easy on a five string

But most metal seems to be in C or C# tuning, which is just a pain.

Or modern stuff which is super down tuned to low F#/drop E where the bass is almost pointless

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

I like Carcass because they tuned to B, so it's easy on a five string

But most metal seems to be in C or C# tuning, which is just a pain.

Or modern stuff which is super down tuned to low F#/drop E where the bass is almost pointless

Unfortunately it's often near impossible to play stuff originally in C on a 5 string tuned to B because you're playing off that open low string so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Unfortunately it's often near impossible to play stuff originally in C on a 5 string tuned to B because you're playing off that open low string so much.

A good friend of mine used to play in a metal band who tuned to C standard. He simply tuned up each string a semitone sounded great!

Personally I would have told the rest of ths band to just tune to B standard and have done with it.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Put a capo on the first fret?

We're playing Whole Lotta Rosie in the original key which I find quite tricky to get my fingers to work for, so just put a capo on the 4th fret (5-string) and play a string up which makes the fingering just like the original.

I use a non-standard tuning on my Bass VIs (EADGCE) because we do a lot of songs in Am and C and being able to have a drone C string is far more useful than a B.

I have one guitar permanently tuned to drop D with an appropriately heavier string for the D, but I count it as standard tuning but making some chords and riffs easier to play. In the past when I have played with guitarists who used drop D, I stuck with standard tuning on the bass.

When I was playing Dad Rock covers then band did quite a lot of songs that would have been recorded with the guitars tuned a semi-tone down but we always played them a semi-tone higher to avoid having to retune or to take multiple guitars to gigs. Out of interest I found several of the Thin Lizzy songs easier to play at their original pitch but in conventional tuning, then I did a semi-tone higher.

Edited by BigRedX

Eb and Drop D is all I've ever used bearing in mind the heaviest stuff I've played is Classic Rock live.

I'm happy to play anything but not had the opportunity to play in a Metal band so far.

I did stumble upon a set of Pyramid strings 140-55 I think and they even do a 145 single string so might give those a go on a 5 that I have..

I've just thought, back when I was in a Melod-death band, the guitarists were in drop B, but I just played in B standard as I'm not a fan of drop tunings.

Made for some awkward fingerings (and who hasn't in their youth?) But I preferred that to the intervals shifting and messing with my head