Why become a member? ×

Gear4Music acoustic bass.

NancyJohnson

Went to a barbecue yesterday, guy hosting has a ton of guitars, ranging from his early purchase copies through to the current crop of Gibsons and Fenders.  He's not a brilliant player and plays - by his own admission - in a terrible cover band, but has disposable income and loves guitars.

Interestingly, he needed/wanted an acoustic bass for something and picked up a used G4M acoustic bass locally for £90.00.  He asked me for an opinion.

I think I must have played it for over an hour.  Genuinely surprised at how wonderful it was.  Only criticisms were that there were some sharp fret ends up the dusty end and the action could have been a mm or two lower, but it was just brilliant.  Played acoustically, tonally it was full and rich, amazingly so.  Zero fret buzz, neck straight, no high frets.  Neck profile was quite shallow.  Very playable.

Do I need an acoustic bass?  Well do I?

• Like 2

I was bought one for my first bass five years ago. I traded it in for a SUB Stingray after about six weeks. I loved the Ray, but wish I'd kept the acoustic for noodling, if nothing else. I do though seem to remember some sharp fret ends. 

But to answer your question, of course you do! 😊

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Went to a barbecue yesterday, guy hosting has a ton of guitars, ranging from his early purchase copies through to the current crop of Gibsons and Fenders.  He's not a brilliant player and plays - by his own admission - in a terrible cover band, but has disposable income and loves guitars.

Interestingly, he needed/wanted an acoustic bass for something and picked up a used G4M acoustic bass locally for £90.00.  He asked me for an opinion.

I think I must have played it for over an hour.  Genuinely surprised at how wonderful it was.  Only criticisms were that there were some sharp fret ends up the dusty end and the action could have been a mm or two lower, but it was just brilliant.  Played acoustically, tonally it was full and rich, amazingly so.  Zero fret buzz, neck straight, no high frets.  Neck profile was quite shallow.  Very playable.

Do I need an acoustic bass?  Well do I?

You should seriously consider a better one.

Other than that, don't listen to the deriders and don't buy into that "hollow-body or semi-hollow is the way to go" line.

Picsart_22-09-28_22-03-09-362.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

Now, being part of a forum dedicated to everything concerning the most beautiful instrument in the world, I think the only reason for your question is to get absolution for an answer you already know.😉

No, maybe you don´t  need one, but how will you come to know that you do?

Buying and selling (if so...) basses is the most pleasant trial and error method I can think of.

Edited by smithy

9 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's quite possibly the nicest looking acoustic bass I've ever seen. 👌

What model is it?

Dean Exotica, the older model with the Aphex System electronics...Aural Exciter and Big-Bottom Sound.

So good I had to buy two.

Picsart_22-10-31_14-36-07-429.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an acoustic bass.

It sounded nice through its pickup/ preamp. It was well- made and played as well as such things can.

But.....

It was a Korean Ovation, and I couldn't get a case for it.

It would feedback in noisy environments.

My acidic sweat annihilated the phosphor bronze strings almost instantaneously. 

The Unplugged volume was once drowned out by the sound of a pin dropping.

I guess it was OK for noodling around the house if everything was absolutely silent. But that was it.

I have one gathering dust (not that model but similar) that I would happily trade for beer and a bottle of something nice. I used it loads at first but it’s lived in a bag under the bed for the last couple of years. I just noodle on my Jazz now.

19 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Not to mention the money.

What, $1,500 and up.

I just passed a really nice G4M bass down the line for £400 with a bag and pickup. Starter double basses are making strides like starter electric basses…..

• Like 2