Why become a member? ×

Why does some music make us sad?

TheGreek

This is a fascinating subject. Google something like "psychological effect of keys in music" and you'll find plenty of really interesting stuff around on the topic of how keys and musical structures affect mood and emotion. Even Bach was aware of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The saddest of all keys...

F makes our synthist sad but he has a damaged and bandaged thumb so playing the black keys is tricky for him. I may or may not have started referring to this as "Gary's racist thumb" - in a white covering and hates the blacks...

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

The saddest of all keys...

Simple lines, intertwining.

11 hours ago, Dazed said:

The older I get the more sensitive to

music I seem to become. Even happy tunes can start me going. 

10 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

With me it's the reverse, I'm even more cynical than I was in the first place.... 

I'm a mixture of these two. As I've grown older, I have become the most dreadful cynic about most things. You know in Monty Python & the Holy Grail, where they first sight Camelot and the old geezer goes "bleh, it's only a model"? That's me, that is. But having said that, I have become incredibly sensitive to films, TV and especially music. Some pieces have always set me going, Elgar's 'Nimrod' leaves me in helpless floods for example, but now I find my eyes pricking when I listen to all manner of things. Even happy things. Bloody southern softie.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, asingardenof said:

F makes our synthist sad but he has a damaged and bandaged thumb so playing the black keys is tricky for him. I may or may not have started referring to this as "Gary's racist thumb" - in a white covering and hates the blacks...

This is the sort of thing that’s funny in person but doesn’t always translate well when written down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Simple lines, intertwining.

I'm a mixture of these two. As I've grown older, I have become the most dreadful cynic about most things. You know in Monty Python & the Holy Grail, where they first sight Camelot and the old geezer goes "bleh, it's only a model"? That's me, that is. But having said that, I have become incredibly sensitive to films, TV and especially music. Some pieces have always set me going, Elgar's 'Nimrod' leaves me in helpless floods for example, but now I find my eyes pricking when I listen to all manner of things. Even happy things. Bloody southern softie.

Don’t get me wrong, I started off as a huge cynic about a lot of things and that hasn’t got any better with age 😄
Turns out I’m a soft northern monkey, with a resting “don’t speak to me “ face

I don't know what it is about ABBA, but hearing pretty much anything by that band depresses me.

And I don't mean that in the usual sense of when someone says something depresses them, it actually does trigger my depression, the same way alcohol used to, so I became t-total to avoid that happening.

It's very unusual and as far as I'm aware this is the only band that effects me like this.

Mark