Why become a member? ×

The Prince thread...

bubinga5

18 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I consider him to be the greatest most accomplished musician of our times.

Hmmm. He was extremely good, but better than everyone everywhere "in our times"? From all countries/cultures, all types of music, etc? That's too bold a claim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times. Absolutely mesmerising live.

I've still got the 12" vinyl if 1999/ Little Red Corvette.

Fave track/performance is something he wrote for Maurice Day and The Time and performed live on the Welcome to America tour. "Cool"

http://youtu.be/jBlNeDFKDVo

Love that track. The set list for that tour included some interesting choices - Mountains and segueing into Wanna Be Starting Something was a good un (there’s a few good clips on YouTube).

Re. The 12” you mention. Was that the double 12” containing both tracks? That was fairly collectible for a while… 

19 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Personally I consider him to be the greatest most accomplished musician of our times. 

I think it's a fair statement,  amazingly prolific, he played numerous (20+?) instruments to an incredibly high standard - who hasn't seen the video of him playing bass? - wrote hundreds of brilliant tracks, created his own genre of music, his studio churned out hit after hit, launched and relaunched the careers of many artists.

It is arguable that the recently departed Ms O'Connor's best track was one of Prince's. 

If Prince wasn't the most accomplished musician of our generation,  who would you propose was?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think it's a fair statement,  amazingly prolific, he played numerous (20+?) instruments to an incredibly high standard - who hasn't seen the video of him playing bass? - wrote hundreds of brilliant tracks, created his own genre of music, his studio churned out hit after hit, launched and relaunched the careers of many artists.

It is arguable that the recently departed Ms O'Connor's best track was one of Prince's. 

If Prince wasn't the most accomplished musician of our generation,  who would you propose was?

Not sure Sinead and Prince saw eye to eye (that’s not a joke about him being a midget but her allegations about his violence).

A guitarist friend of mine who was at Glasgow uni in the mid 90s got a tip off that Prince was doing one of his legendary post gig gigs at The Garage.

He wasn't much of a fan at the time but he went along with some feiends who were and managed to get in.

To this day he says it's the best gig he's ever seen in his life.

No complicated lighting, no pyrotechnics, no dancers, just Prince fronting a slimmed down version of his touring band on a small club stage letting the songs speak for themselves.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I assume you're asking me as I questioned the assertion that he was "the greatest most accomplished musician of our time". 

Short answer to your question. There isn't one and nor will there ever be.

Evading the issue? Not at all. If one defines music as western, American-influenced pop, it could be argued that Prince has been one of its better exponents. However, the world and its art, music and culture is simply vast. Claiming that anyone is the best, most accomplished musician or artist of any time demonstrates the narrowness of knowledge of the person making the claim.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Personally I consider him to be the greatest most accomplished musician of our times. .

Andrew's ( @bubinga5) personal assertion is that Prince was the "most accomplished musician of our time" and I agree. I think implied in that is the Rock/ Western Music industry, however I'd be prepared to discuss nominations in any musical field. 

Even if you believe somebody like David Bowie or Jimi Hendrix, for instance, were more popular artists, neither were as accomplished or proficient musicians as Prince.

Nobody is claiming he was "the best", I think we all accept how futile this claim is, however if you, or any other contributor to this discussion, believe there is a more accomplished musician, in diversity, in range of instruments played or ability, then I'm open to listening to your nomination. 

This thread isn't about "he's better than...", it's about acknowledging the genius that was Prince.

I googled "multi instrumental musicians" to see who else played many instruments.

I found: 

Prince

Prince Rogers Nelson was an American singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer. The recipient of numerous awards and nominations, he is widely regarded as one of the greatest musicians of his generation. Wikipedia

Prince, in particular, was rumoured to have been proficient in 27 different instruments! Instruments are one way that we can speak the language of music.

https://commontime.online › blog › the-8-pros-of-being-a-mu...

"Prince. Stevie Wonder is an extremely close second, but despite the fact that he stuck with the guitar for most of his career, no one can touch him." - Quora

https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-greatest-multi-instrumentalist-in-popular-music

https://www.thecavanproject.com/17-great-multi-instrumentalists/

Seems that many people agree with Andrew.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Nobody is claiming he was "the best", I think we all accept how futile this claim is, however if you, or any other contributor to this discussion, believe there is a more accomplished musician, in diversity, in range of instruments played or ability, then I'm open to listening to your nomination. 

This thread isn't about "he's better than...", it's about acknowledging the genius that was Prince.

That's my point. There is no "best" or "most accomplished" musician. To make that claim with any credibility, one would have to have listened to everyone. That's an impossibility. By all means say "X is my favourite musician of our times", but "most accomplished"? Nah. If we stick with western music, there are plenty of jazz and classical musicians who could be claimed to be at least as accomplished as Prince. I doubt even he, with his reputedly enormous ego, would have made the claim for himself.

If it isn't about "he's better than", why ask me to nominate someone better? Music (ort any art) is not an Olympic sport. Sadly, many try to make it so (best, fastest, most accomplished, etc) and demean it in so doing.

16 hours ago, toneknob said:

The entire album is a masterpiece

I had that on cassette, needed to buy it a few times as I kept wearing them out.

Saw Prince in London with the Lovesexy tour, fantastic show. Proudly wore the tour shirt at punk gigs for years afterwards.

Still listen to the Black Album on a regular basis, copy I got in Camden had 'Royalty' on the label. Love this track.

• Like 2

I've always been a greatest hits kind of Prince fan until the other day when I thought I'd check out more of his albums, so the timing of this thread is fantastic! Some great tunes already, thanks for sharing! 

So far my favourite tune that is new to me is Bambi, off of his 2nd album - Prince.

Fantastic stuff. Especially considering he wrote, arranged, performed and produced everything on the album.

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 1