Why become a member? ×

14 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

Dave’s voice isn’t quite what it used to be. He’s got the charisma to carry it off though. I wonder what Nate is playing through. Not an ashdown, some kind of 9x10 cab.

I wonder if he’s had Ashdown make some custom cabs for him?

22 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Rock singers don't need a great voice. Lemmy was technically a bad singer but he was possibly the greatest front man ever

Not just rock singers. I think calling Johnny Cash a singer would be quite charitable but it works.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

I regret never going to Glastonbury. 

With the crazy demand and hype nowadays I doubt I’ll ever get the chance.

However, every year I smear h as much of it as I can in the Big British Castle.

And every year I love it.   

No different this year. Day 1 has been excellent.

Foos (I’m not a fan)

Unknown mortal orchestra 

Carly Rae Jespen (never heard of her) 

Billynomates (first ever listen) 

All been excellent. 

Royal Blood  …..🥱

It really is a magical weekend. 

Right, I’m off to have too many shrooms and sleep in my garden. ✌️

Carly Rae Jepsen: Call Me Maybe, massive hit in err 2011 and I Really Like You in 2015 (Tom Hanks was the lead in the music video). She’s had loads of albums and she’s Canadian. Ooh she also did music and voixe acting on the animated film Ballerina (I have 3 daughters…)

Phew, that’s my pop knowledge exhausted for the evening.

5 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Carly Rae Jepsen: Call Me Maybe, massive hit in err 2011 and I Really Like You in 2015 (Tom Hanks was the lead in the music video). She’s had loads of albums and she’s Canadian. Ooh she also did music and voixe acting on the animated film Ballerina (I have 3 daughters…)

Phew, that’s my pop knowledge exhausted for the evening.

Yeah I knew that song but though it was Taylor Swift or someone.

My kids ridiculed my lack of pop knowledge. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tonybassplayer said:

Just having a little trip down memory lane with Sparks.

In a few minutes I shall be revisiting the heady days of 2005 when a mate asked me if I wanted to see a band he'd heard on Zane Lowe's new music show on Radio 1.

Ended up at the Wolverhampton Little Civic to watch the Arctic Monkeys playing to a sold out crowd of around 100 people.

Damn good they were too, though neither me or my mates had any inkling of their imminent meteoric rise.

As the only band I've ever seen in a tiny venue that went on to become genuinely massive and stay the course (for nearly 2 decades now) they've always had a special place in my heart.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, acidbass said:

SO many more Ricks than I anticipated! Is there a negative trend in the typical festival bass - the short scale Fender (Mustang etc)

Ricks were the bass of choice in the 90's indie and grunge bands and that sound seems to be coming back. 

Los Bitchos were excellent, bit punky and a bit grungy. No idea what their bass or guitars were, all weird things

It's interesting that every year, when I watch the videos of bands at Glastonbury, the sound is usually pretty awful. I assume it's because there is only a limited amount of BBC sound engineers that are any good at mixing live bands and there's a lot of live acts to record. What I find is that when I go back and listen again a couple of weeks later, the sound is much better. I suspect that the Beeb initially just records the live feeds (like a rough mix) and at a later date a qualified sound engineer remixes the sound track of the video to make it sound better.

6 hours ago, attackbass said:

Hi, that was me and thank you. It's a very battered alpher bass! Played 4 shows already this weekend, 3 more lett to go.

Nice one! BBC2 coverage is top tier! Enjoy your weekend. Hope you get some time out to catch some music. 

12 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

I wonder what Nate is playing through. Not an ashdown, some kind of 9x10 cab.

Interesting that we are still obsessing over gear that makes zero contribution to what can be heard either FoH or in your living room. Even if there is a mic on that cab it will be one (or maybe two) driver(s) close-mic'd which is nothing like the sound of the whole cab from a couple of feet away. It's just a glorified stage prop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gjones said:

It's interesting that every year, when I watch the videos of bands at Glastonbury, the sound is usually pretty awful. I assume it's because there is only a limited amount of BBC sound engineers that are any good at mixing live bands and there's a lot of live acts to record. What I find is that when I go back and listen again a couple of weeks later, the sound is much better. I suspect that the Beeb initially just records the live feeds (like a rough mix) and at a later date a qualified sound engineer remixes the sound track of the video to make it sound better.

It's always been this way. Do the best mix you can live, record to multi-track and the same time and remix for future broadcast.

About 10 years ago a friend of mine decided to go 100% analogue in his studio and purchased a 24-track reel-to-reel machine along with a load of second-hand 2" tape. The tapes were all ex-BBC and contained multi-track recordings of various live bands from a wide variety of BBC programmes. 

• Like 1

Uhmm.. sticking my neck out buuuut, I found the Foos to be rather boring. I guess only having an hour affected their set choice but I just feel it's always Dave talks, quiet intro, ramp it up, Dave shouts, bring it down, bit of improv, loud, shout, quiet, loud, shout, end. Next song, repeat previous. I dunno, I just found them a bit by numbers.

I did like the band intros though, Nate wallops out a bit of Beastie Boys and Pat gives us some God Save The Queen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Yeah, they're so good live. I worked out I must have first seen the Foos at Reading 2002 when I was 17!

They were on at Glastonbury when I was there in 1998. If I saw them I have no recollection of it 🥴

• Haha 1