Why become a member? ×

Kala U-Bass on crack

funkgod

13 hours ago, funkgod said:

well have to say this blew me away, its hard enough to play on a normal bass fgs.

Yeah, I like it too...The whole band are right on top of it with some great playing and a very good arrangement.

Thanks for posting.

Not my thing, the technique on display is to me far more consistent with sport performance than performance art. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 10% of the technical ability, but if so I'd not choose to do that with it 👍

• Like 1

It's the old adage "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

So many of these jazz standard videos just feel like a workout for the chops rather than having any kind of deeper musical meaning. I guess it's cool you can groove at 250 bpm and introduce more substitutions than an injured rugby team, but it's not music I'd want to listen to.

I remember going to a jazz workshop with a horn player. In the pub after he said "I can't be bothered to learn 400 scales to play solos over 100-year-old ballads that nobody cares about" and he left. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Technically the lady is about a Googleplex times better than I am, indeed I would say that @funkgod 's dancing chicken is better than I am. But after listening to the video, my head hurts. That could be because I had three vaccinations yesterday, Rabies, DTP and MMR (it's real tough living in Yorkshire), or it could be that this type of jazz gives me a headache.

I'm with @Burns-bass here and "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I seem to recall some blues great in the sixties stating "it's not what you play, it's what you don't play".

Brilliant technique, but where's the spirit? Where's the emotion? Might be that I just don't get this type of jazz, but I'd rather hear Lemmy playing almost as fast nine times out of ten.

I wish I could play like her but then I'd play something different.

Rob

• Like 1

There's nowt worse than someone who can actually play...

It's just showing off, isn't it?

I always find music to be far more interesting if it has no more than 3 notes, especially in the bass department. And there mustn't be any jiggery-pokery past the 5th fret either!

As for that jazz, it's only weirdos in polo necks that like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

There's nowt worse than someone who can actually play...

It's just showing off, isn't it?

I always find music to be far more interesting if it has no more than 3 notes, especially in the bass department. And there mustn't be any jiggery-pokery past the 5th fret either!

As for that jazz, it's only weirdos in polo necks that like it.

For decent modern jazz there’s loads of great stuff out there. Ezra Collective, Snarky Puppy, etc. they’re pushing boundaries not endless rehashing the past.

Jazz was once the future, and it still could be. Guess even people like Jacob Collier could be classed as jazz, and he’s doing some amazing stuff. 

Didn’t she play with Jeff Beck? Given that guy always pushed boundaries and worked across different genres (jazz, rock, etc.) you’d have hoped that would have inspired her to do something different with an old tune. 

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

***  I seem to recall some blues great in the sixties stating "it's not what you play, it's what you don't play". ***

The reply to Lisa Simpson in the Jazz Club when she said " you've got to listen to what she doesn't play!"

- "I can do that at home".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, YouMa said:

Very impressive as was Jaco but why the hell anybody ever wanted to play this on bass in the first place is beyond me. Just sounds like noodling. I have a bit of a love hate thing with Mr Pastorius.

I actually really like bass as a solo instrument, just not this particular one.

Uke bass is an abomination!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

58 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Jazz was once the future, and it still could be.

Indeed! Though judging by the number of covers bands I see playing the same-old same-old there's definitely a market for it!

Personally, while her playing is pretty amazing (especially on one of those daft kiddy-basses) I would also have preferred her to do something different with the choon (though in Donna Lee's case, do another one entirely. Cucumber Slumber praps? with a reggae feel and a theramin?).

But whenever any jazz is mentioned, or bass solos or any sort of awe-inspiring playing we get the same old refrain of "too many notes" etc...

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

But whenever any jazz is mentioned, or bass solos or any sort of awe-inspiring playing we get the same old refrain of "too many notes" etc...

If a lot of people (probably the very great majority) dislike the too-many-notes approach then there's little to be gained by dismissing it as just "the same old refrain", as if that means it doesn't matter. 

Just accept that this sort of musical masturbation is very much a minority interest. No judgment call there, it's all music and it's all good in its own way. But gauging popularity has been a fundamental of popular music since the very concept was invented, and this stuff fails that pretty basic test.

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If a lot of people (probably the very great majority) dislike the too-many-notes approach then there's little to be gained by dismissing it as just "the same old refrain", as if that means it doesn't matter. 

Just accept that this sort of musical masturbation is very much a minority interest. No judgment call there, it's all music and it's all good in its own way. But gauging popularity has been a fundamental of popular music since the very concept was invented, and this stuff fails that pretty basic test.

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

...musical masturbation... ...No judgment call there... 

Also the majority voted a certain unfamous guy in Germany to power once.

Hardly any valid measurement for quality or stuff being right.

Popularity is a quantitative measurement and nothing else, in no way can it ever be a measurement for quality.

And much in the line of the general hateful mindset of before mentioned fellow I could say little flattering stuff about the majority of people in general.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

36 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Indeed! Though judging by the number of covers bands I see playing the same-old same-old there's definitely a market for it!

Personally, while her playing is pretty amazing (especially on one of those daft kiddy-basses) I would also have preferred her to do something different with the choon (though in Donna Lee's case, do another one entirely. Cucumber Slumber praps? with a reggae feel and a theramin?).

Absolutely understand your point. I love jazz and enjoy listening to bop, hard bop, and the classics.

Maybe she was plaid by Kala to play something mad on a bass? I bet it will sell a few!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

this sort of musical masturbation is very much a minority interest.

From what I've seen over the years, any sort of music beyond the simplest boy/girl band stuff is a minority interest!

The majority of people I know, as opposed to actual friends, don't seek music out; they quite like a tune that's easy to hum but if they find one they won't necessarily look for more by that artist, they'd be happier with a "Now That's What I Call Music" comp as they will often conjure for them a mood of the time. They don't really want to sit there listening to great playing, or to seek out what's "advancing" music - music is largely a background thing. As a result of this, the majority of mainstream music follows a simple formula and is musically inoffensive.

All of which I think is a shame, and is probably the fault of a decline in music education in schools.

Funnily enough though, if you go to the continent there's a large market for more challenging music; frinstance I was in the tiny town of Marciac in the south of France a couple of weeks ago. It's got a population of just 1200, but has a dedicated music venue - the night we were there was a "slam poetry" show, following night was a Colombian folk group and the next was an electronic noise duo. But more importantly, it has a world-renowned jazz festival which is hugely popular and has far more experimental out-there stuff than we'd get at Cheltenham of Birmingham's alleged jazz fests! Frinstance, last year had Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog playing; they also played in Germany, Holland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and Norway, all to great acclaim, though London only got a night of Ribot solo. However, the previous 4 European dates had no UK dates... Similarly, Suicidal Tendencies haven't played the UK since 2018 with 1 date then and 1 in 2017. But on those same visits to Europe there were gigs all over France and Germany. And I don't think it's all to do with The B Word (!) as their last UK tour was 2016, but very little before that despite tons of European dates every year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Wow! Haven't seen the Hitler argument getting deployed like that for a while. 

Oustanding work, Sir. :hi:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Hardly any valid measurement for quality or stuff being right.

Popularity is a quantitative measurement and nothing else, in no way can it ever be a measurement for quality.

And much in the line of the general hateful mindset of before mentioned fellow I could say little flattering stuff about the majority of people in general.

First thread I've seen on here being Godwin'd!

• Haha 2