Why become a member? ×

Post your non-commercial music. Show us why you'll never be a one-hit wonder.

BassTractor

Sparked by the one-hit wonder thread, I thought it could be interesting with a thread for music you'll never see in the lists.
I thought we had a thread, but can't find anything like it.

I'll kick off with music composed and recorded by others. I just was in this band after they didn't have a hit
... and remained hitless even though I joined them.  😁

Dutch band The Group: "Ballad of Hathor" from "Omniphonic Music", 1975.
Not their most marked song, but the only one I could find.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 5

Might as well throw in some classical.
(Admittedly, you might see it in a classical list ... in a very good year.)

This time, I don't even know whether I'm on it or not; it depends on when it was recorded and on who you ask.

Edited by BassTractor

From perhaps 1991... Audio and performance video all recorded live (to DAT and Umatic)in our rehearsal studio, which was a back room in a Harlesden terrace. Our nearest thing to fame was a tour supporting Gaye Bykers on Acid, plus another tour supporting Carter, and 2 headlines at the Marquee...

• Like 3

Search for The Inevitable Teaspoons on Spotify or whatever. Will never be a hit because I'm making you search for it. Obvs that's the reason...

EDIT - yeah, that didn't work either :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Thanks 1

From my dark drone/ambient project Fjernsind (which originally shared my name, hence why it says Jacob Læby and not Fjernsind😞

Up for free download here: https://fjernsind.bandcamp.com/track/den-hvide-d-d-the-white-death-3

Otherwise check out my cross project SoundCloud and YouTube channel, linked in my signature bellow here, both featuring links to the individual project's Bandcamp pages, where all the music I have produced is up for free download.

That said I was once a part of an indie pop duo where one of our songs, where I contributed to both the composition and lyrics, and played lead guitar, bass and did backing vocals on on the recording, got added to the Danish national radio's playlist, still hardly any great commercial success, and hardly qualifies as a hit either:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Up for free download here: https://fjernsind.bandcamp.com/track/den-hvide-d-d-the-white-death-3

Otherwise check out my cross project SoundCloud and YouTube channel, linked in my signature bellow here, both featuring links to the individual project's Bandcamp pages, where all the music I have produced is up for free download.

You need a film maker to use that one 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my other band... Formed nearly 40 years ago with no actual success apart from playing with Mikey Dread at the Warehouse in Leeds back in 1985. However, the drummer went off to form the Utah Saints via MDMA, one guitarist went back to the USA and played with the Rollins Band, other guitarist is now with successful Goth band Cassandra Complex (top 10 record in Germany last month) and keyboard player was Jay Rayner!

Only little 'ol me had no stardom! 

This is what we (unsuccessfully!) produced after reforming for drummer's wedding (we're still playing!) - vid shot in my garden and edited by me...

• Like 4

On 11/06/2023 at 21:22, Waddo Soqable said:

One's better than none I suppose 😁

It is, but it ain't "one" either.
I care, and I like it.

Now this thread wasn't for critiquing other people's music, but I do think @snorkie635 and the lads could've recorded and released this officially and it could've been a hit too.
Nothing wrong with the song; "everything" wrong with what makes or breaks a hit.

When I started the thread, I was originally thinking of music that could never be a hit (like classical, jazz, experimental etc), but changed my scope before writing the OP, and hoped many would feel at home in the thread, like people who could've had a hit but didn't.

From what I've heard up to now (I can play most of the YT vids on my tv, and none of the rest), many kinds of music are represented, which is good in my book.

Keep'em coming!

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

music that could never be a hit

I've got p-lenty of that - often produced for the BC monthly compo compo, though unfortunately I'm yet to score a nul points

And a jazz-classical crossover attempt at the Christmas number 1...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BassTractor said:

It is, but it ain't "one" either.
I care, and I like it.

Now this thread wasn't for critiquing other people's music, but I do think @snorkie635 and the lads could've recorded and released this officially and it could've been a hit too.
Nothing wrong with the song; "everything" wrong with what makes or breaks a hit.

When I started the thread, I was originally thinking of music that could never be a hit (like classical, jazz, experimental etc), but changed my scope before writing the OP, and hoped many would feel at home in the thread, like people who could've had a hit but didn't.

From what I've heard up to now (I can play most of the YT vids on my tv, and none of the rest), many kinds of music are represented, which is good in my book.

Keep'em coming!

You did ask. 😎

• Like 1