Why become a member? ×

HOW hard is it to find a decent band to play in these days?

Lfalex v1.1

Just had a first jam with a ska band found on JMB. They all know each other from the scene so I'm the new boy. Was really friendly with some decent playing. Was advertised as relaxed and low key so happy to see where it goes for now. 

Difficult thing is finding dates that suits everyone. 

A good way for me to get back in to playing live. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

Just had a first jam with a ska band found on JMB. They all know each other from the scene so I'm the new boy. Was really friendly with some decent playing. Was advertised as relaxed and low key so happy to see where it goes for now. 

Difficult thing is finding dates that suits everyone. 

A good way for me to get back in to playing live. 

This what I did earlier in the year with a mod band. Not necessarily my normal thing, but good to be out playing again.

Getting matching dates has always been an issue with any band I’ve been in, it is the proverbial trying to nail a jelly to a wall.

• Like 2

Good to hear all these stories!

I gigged a bunch in the US (Nebraska and Texas) then was not playing for 20 years. Auditioned for a rock covers band, got in, started playing gigs which suddenly dried up. Have not played with them, or really heard any news from the BL for about 16 months. Auditioned for a 50's-60's covers band, they liked me, but I could not at that time commit as I had a brand new granddaughter. They used and hired another guy...fair enough. Also auditioned for a couple of "bands" that were not really serious. I finally joined my current group, which is a new group hoping to start gigging soon. Really enjoying it (country cover and originals band). 

I think you just have to be both patient and persistant.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2023 at 09:22, Waddo Soqable said:

And there were the musicians wanted ads in the back of Melody Maker😁

I did this in the mid 90s. Our singer quit the band the week before we were due to send the master tapes and artwork off to have our debut single pressed, as the band all had jobs with a decent amount of disposable income we decided we'd advertise for a replacement in NME and Melody Maker with a one-column display ad. Now if you think that there's some weirdos on JMB, that's nothing compared with the ones hoping for fame and fortune in a band that was obviously ambitious enough to advertise in the weekly "inkys"!

I wish I'd kept all the letters/photos/tapes that we received as some of them were absolutely hilarious. On the other hand we did nearly end up with the daughter of a very famous rock musician as our singer (unfortunately despite the fact that she was great, she wasn't impressed with our music as she had been with the ad to want to join).

In the end our replacement singer came from an ad placed in the local record shop...

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I think I'm cursed.

I initiated a new project several weeks ago with a singer I know. They brought along 2 others. After a few practices it's clear it'll go nowhere. 

No one seems to be able to practice regularly or what seems longer than an hour and a half. No-one seems to want to bother learning material. 

I was very clear at the outset that I wanted to get gigs, not be a practice room project and get out of the practice room fairly quickly. I can't see that happening. 

Just another ensemble of people who like the idea of being in a band. 

I'm not sure whether to keep going or just pack it all in. This is the 4th or 5th time of going nowhere since my last band fizzled out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think I'm cursed.

I initiated a new project several weeks ago with a singer I know. They brought along 2 others. After a few practices it's clear it'll go nowhere. 

No one seems to be able to practice regularly or what seems longer than an hour and a half. No-one seems to want to bother learning material. 

I was very clear at the outset that I wanted to get gigs, not be a practice room project and get out of the practice room fairly quickly. I can't see that happening. 

I'm not sure whether to keep going or just pack it all in. This is the 4th or 5th time of going nowhere since my last band fizzled out.

I think it took me six or seven attempts to find the right group of people. Just remember that there's drummers, guitarists and singers just as frustrated as you and you'll find them soon enough. 

I met my current band mates at a local blues jam night we started chatting after a 12 bar blues jam and started a sludge/stoner metal band. 

• Like 3

The last band, i left yesterday via messanger chat....the vocal leader of the band - girl, called me a selfish person. I said i don't want any profanity and everything will be ok, no problem finding a new ok bassist. I just want to go away. The new rules of the band was - band - split in two. The first one going for new 3 hour covers in latvian to have a good money (all band members where amateurs). That was a bit incompatible with my everyday job, so i talked about it. The whole band said - it's ok, don't wory - we will find at that dates some other bassist. That felt offended. The second part of the band would make their own songs. The rehearsals would be 2 hours in weak. I hope next band situation would be better. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think I'm cursed.

When we started with the Glam band 5 yrs ago we found issues trying to sync diaries on a weekly basis so we pre-booked the rehearsal studio for approx 2mths ahead every Sun afternoon for 3 hrs then we went every two weeks for 6hrs to cut down on fuel costs and travelling time.  We kept pre-booking well ahead. It tends to focus the attention when you know you have an appointment every Sunday at 12pm - 3pm. You therefore work around the booked rehearsal times.

Is that a possible option. ?

We also set realistic targets for the songs to learn for the next week. You need to allow for people's jobs and personal commitments and not try and learn a full set in a week. Pick 3-4 songs every week. The set soon builds up quite quickly. 

I'm not sure that's the problems you're encountering with current members but keep at it and eventually as @SteveXFR says there are others out there looking for the same commitment, its just trying to get them all together in one band.

Good luck and hope you find the right people.

Don't fall into the Marvin syndrome. Zaphod will be disappointed. :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

I’ve got a potential new band, at a mates 40th birthday party last week a few of us were asked to do a few classic rock covers. We did a 45min set, went down really well and lots of the people there said they didn’t know we had a band. When we said we didn’t and that we’d only had 2 rehearsals (and only 1 with the drummer) they said we def should keep it going, so in all likelihood we will, just get Xmas out of the way.

So we never know what’s round the corner or what opportunities will come our way. Gotta take them though.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I think I'm cursed.

This scenario is familiar - I've just had very similar issues with a three piece project. The guitarist/singer liked the idea of being a lead guitarist in a band, but there was very little enthusiasm to actually get and play gigs. The setlist grew into a list of songs he already knew and which, without fail, had extended guitar solos (or the potential for them). I left as rehearsals with no intention of gigging wasn't doing it for me. This is the second band this year I've left because there has been a distinct lack of interest in actually getting gigs.

I'm not ready to give up yet. Maybe you should take a definite break - give yourself Christmas and the New Year off and some time to figure out what you want. Set a time - 6 weeks - that you won't actively look for something so there's no pressure to find the next project. Then start fresh. Good luck.

• Like 3

Uh...

Don't want to jump the gun, but it seems like I might actually be in a band now 🤣

We'd been in touch and they'd sent me some material. I'd listened to it twice that evening,  then they sprang an audition opportunity on me at 2hrs notice on the following day. 

I said I'd go, but not to expect miracles. 

Hardest 4½ hours of bass playing I've ever done, but I think I left a good impression as they're straight back into wanting another rehearsal next week...

(Edit- And another rehearsal next week, plus I get to leave my amp/cab at the rehearsal space...)

And then today, out of the blue, another band contacted me to say they wanted my services. 

It never rains but it pours.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
More.
  • Like 10

I have been playing bass for 32 years ( I’m sure loads have done it for longer ) 

I was blessed to be in a great band for 10 years , a few other stints in good bands for 5 years or so , so I consider my success rate about 50% .

I have been in countless projects / start ups / get togethers that don’t go anywhere , you put the effort in , learn the songs just to watch the guitarist or drummer fumble around at at rehearsal.

Being in a good band with all the musicians of equal skill and motivation is akin to the aligning of the planets , happens once in a blue moon .

• Like 6

1 minute ago, martin8708 said:

Being in a good band with all the musicians of equal skill and motivation is akin to the aligning of the planets , happens once in a blue moon .

I think I might be in an outfit that's close to this. 

My feeling is that both the drummer and singer/Guitarist are better than me.

They seem to think it's more evenly matched. 

After a few years in the wilderness, you lose track of what you're actually good at (or not, as the case may be!)

• Like 3

I've come to the conclusion there are two types of band members. 

Those who are in a band so they can tell their friends they're in a band.

And those who are actually interested in working on playing good music. 

The trick is to work which is which very early on and move on. 

• Like 3

Jam nights are normally filled with singer/songwriters who want a backing band which is not something I'm interested in. That or has the blues/skiffle guitarists who can jam, for sure, but cannot learn songs, attend regular rehearsal, etc etc. 

JMB is getting more and more difficult to find genuine musicians. The amount of messages that go unanswered, those who can't attend regular rehearsal, more interest in the name of the band than the actual music. Nobody wants to play technical blackened death metal on a Wednesday night at the Dog and Muck in Kidderminster. For free... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well done @Lozz196 sometimes it just happens.

Its funny how we never rate ourselves as being the "better" musician in the band. I'm much the same. 

At the moment i believe both my bands have people that are equally matched. If i take any one individual, in either band, i could quite easily highlight their strong points and why i think they are the better musicians in the band.

I'm not sure how others in a band judge the bass player ?

Is it his technical ability, timing, reliability, commitment and effort he puts in, i honestly don't know. My drummer has stated a few times that its my commitment to playing exactly note for note in the songs that makes it easier for him to follow as he always knows i'm there. Guitarist reckons same as in one particular Xmas song in over 30+ yrs playing same song i'm the only bassist to play it correctly and he didn't need to show me how. Comments over the years have been based on the fact a song gets mentioned and i've nailed it for the next rehearsal. No song seems to be an issue for me.

I think many bassists are in a similar position. We simply do our job because we are committed and want a band to work. We're not technically brilliant solo bassists but solid capable players that want any band to succeed.

Here's hoping for Xmas that we all find that particular band mix that works for us. :santa2:

Dave

• Like 5

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

When we started with the Glam band 5 yrs ago we found issues trying to sync diaries on a weekly basis so we pre-booked the rehearsal studio for approx 2mths ahead every Sun afternoon for 3 hrs then we went every two weeks for 6hrs to cut down on fuel costs and travelling time.  We kept pre-booking well ahead. It tends to focus the attention when you know you have an appointment every Sunday at 12pm - 3pm. You therefore work around the booked rehearsal times.

Is that a possible option. ?

We also set realistic targets for the songs to learn for the next week. You need to allow for people's jobs and personal commitments and not try and learn a full set in a week. Pick 3-4 songs every week. The set soon builds up quite quickly. 

I'm not sure that's the problems you're encountering with current members but keep at it and eventually as @SteveXFR says there are others out there looking for the same commitment, its just trying to get them all together in one band.

Good luck and hope you find the right people.

Don't fall into the Marvin syndrome. Zaphod will be disappointed. :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

'Practice' night, and I use that term very lightly, is at a time and place that isn't very good for me. It results in me not getting a hot meal that day or seeing my family. It's something I'd be fine with if I thought the others really wanted to get out of the practice room. The 2 guitarists only have to remember fairly straight forward chord progressions, no solos or tricky stuff. Yet at the beginning of every song the phones come out and Ultimate Guitar is referred to. Which is somewhat redundant as the singer wants to change the key of the songs at every practice (there are only 5 songs so far and one of them has been played in about 4 different keys).

Next practice the singer has invited a cajon player along who can only stay for an hour as they've got a weekly commitment that night. And the singer needs to leave early anyway. 

It really is a shambles. It's simply not how bands function is it?

Edited by Marvin
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Jam nights are normally filled with singer/songwriters who want a backing band which is not something I'm interested in. That or has the blues/skiffle guitarists who can jam, for sure, but cannot learn songs, attend regular rehearsal, etc etc. 

JMB is getting more and more difficult to find genuine musicians. The amount of messages that go unanswered, those who can't attend regular rehearsal, more interest in the name of the band than the actual music. Nobody wants to play technical blackened death metal on a Wednesday night at the Dog and Muck in Kidderminster. For free... 

I've used JMB, Bandmix and even Gumtree over the years and more recently we got our guitarist thru placing a FB advert. 

When i was younger i just wanted to play Prog Rock but thru the 80's the demand fell away and no-one wanted to watch that particular style so i adapted and played rock. 

As i got older and after a few yrs away due to work commitments around 2010 i took on any band i could get into just to get some experience again. I was in everything from pop, blues, funk, celtic rock, originals rock, Deep Purple tribute, 70's covers, originals Prog, indie originals and finally ended up with my current Glam covers band and classic punk covers band.

My point being that if your music doesn't appeal to many then getting band members and subsequent gigs will be far more difficult and you may need to look further afield for gigs and even band members. What i would suggest is that as an interim measure until you can get the band and gigs you want then take on a different style of music that's a bit more popular to keep your hand in. Just a thought.

Think its probably an age gap there as when i was young i definitely wouldn't have played in some of the band styles i listed above and nothing but Prog was ever gonna do it for me :laugh1: but i do wish you all the very best and hope Santa brings you the musicians and gigs you are looking for. :santa2:

Dave

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not in my experience. With my story (above) at least everyone could play through all the songs at the practice stage.

You could force the issue to test the waters - suggest attending an open mic night to play the best three of the 5 songs. Set a realistic but tight time scale and see what reaction you get.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I gave up with JMB. If I did get any response when I replied to a post on there, they either turned out to be weird or they couldn't actually play or they'd turn up with a broken string and no spares. The last one was quite clearly on some very strong drugs and forgot what he was doing while unloading his car so I left and reported him to the police for drug driving. I got a death threat text two days later!

I don't know whether metal musicians are particularly weird. I can't imagine jazz musicians are normal functioning humans 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It doesn't sound like there's any functioning at all going on there, I'm sorry to say.  I think I'd be out of there by now (not suggesting that's what you should do, just saying where I'd be at).

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I don't know whether metal musicians are particularly weird.

Some of the weirdest people I've met have been metal musicians.

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I can't imagine jazz musicians are normal functioning humans 

Again, some of the weirdest people I've ever etc etc....

• Like 2