Why become a member? ×

The name of Your bass

nilorius

"The 5-string" although I actually own another fiver but need to get my donkey in gear to move it on to its next owner 

"The Squier"

"The Rickenbacker"

"The Thunderbird"

... you get the idea from this point 

Edit: Wow I got censored to "donkey"?!

Edited by Norris

42 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I wouldn't be able to resist, if I had a Mustang I'd have to call it Sally. In fact if I had a Ford Mustang I'd have to call it Sally, I just wouldn't be able to stop myself 😁

We were discussing electric cars at home. If I did buy a Mustang it would absolutley require a poncey number plate ending 54LLY. This is a point against the car. 

The bass is nicknamed "Queen Elizabeth' as it weighs as much as the aircraft carrier and the fretboard is wide enough to land an F35 on. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

This is interesting when I think about it.

All my electronic gadgets and computers are named (possibly for network identification purposes), I've named my car (it's not gender specific and I don't refer to it as 'he' or 'she'), but none of my basses have ever had names.

My Maison is just 'the Maison', my AB-35 is either '5-string Acoustic' or just 'the acoustic', and my Ashdown is just 'the Lodestone'.

So no, no names for any of my basses yet.

Mark

My computers and hard drives have names. At the moment they’re based on fantasy swords, and ships and stations from the Alien franchise.

• Like 1

Call mine by their model name but on occasion i use other terms like colour or a specific tag.

VM4 or sometimes "white bass"

MarloweDK or "red bass"

"J bass" or "Geddy"

"P bass"

"PJ" or "green bass"

My Overwater is called "Fretless"

My other Overwater J4 is called "blue bass"

Thumb bass is just called "Warwick"

Dave

My aversion to naming instruments is so strong I'm actually annoyed one of my Sandberg's is a 'Lionel'.

VS4 Shortscale is a far superior description. 

I can just about cope with ships having names. Probably because of the very long history of it and the nature of the providing an honour to (occasionally) worthy historical figures. But to call a bass 'Derek' because, I don't know, it has control knobs that look like dominoes just confirms my view that humanity must end.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

My aversion to naming instruments is so strong I'm actually annoyed one of my Sandberg's is a 'Lionel'.

VS4 Shortscale is a far superior description. 

I can just about cope with ships having names. Probably because of the very long history of it and the nature of the providing an honour to (occasionally) worthy historical figures. But to call a bass 'Derek' because, I don't know, it has control knobs that look like dominoes just confirms my view that humanity must end.

Seeing that you mentioned ships…

Has anyone thought of “Bassy McBassface”?

• Like 1

To me its quite a normal thing, is known as anthropomorphizing and is part of human psychology. We do it all the time with religion and the belief in a divine being called Elohim, Buddha, Allah etc. mythology like Zeus the Greek god, animals in certain cultures, films, TV and literature for example car characters in the film Cars having names and a certain teddy bear called Winnie, mascots as well as objects like ships and planes. We even give names to weather like storms, hurricanes etc. 

So if someone wants to name a bass 'Dave', a dog 'Butch' or a car 'Trevor' then they are just anthropomorphizing and no different to praying to Shiva whilst wearing a T-Shirt with a duck on it called Donald, whilst escaping from a hurricane called Barry on a plane called Mary-Ellen.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

To me its quite a normal thing, is known as anthropomorphizing and is part of human psychology. We do it all the time with religion and the belief in a divine being called Elohim, Buddha, Allah etc. mythology like Zeus the Greek god, animals in certain cultures, films, TV and literature for example car characters in the film Cars having names and a certain teddy bear called Winnie, mascots as well as objects like ships and planes. We even give names to weather like storms, hurricanes etc. 

So if someone wants to name a bass 'Dave', a dog 'Butch' or a car 'Trevor' then they are just anthropomorphizing and no different to praying to Shiva whilst wearing a T-Shirt with a duck on it called Donald, whilst escaping from a hurricane called Barry on a plane called Mary-Ellen.

Buddha is not a divine being though, he was very much human, a human named Siddhartha Gautama, and according to Buddhism everyone is capable of reaching Buddhahood. 

Neither is Buddhism at its core really a religion in the traditional sense of the word, rather a form of life philosophy. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

call a bass 'Derek' because ... it has control knobs that look like dominoes

I unashamedly admit that I find that tacky and hilarious in equal measure and I would wholeheartedly approve. 

Life is to short to be sensible.

Edited by Richard R
Control knobs like dominoes would be impractical and they would be better as tuner ears. Even more tacky!
  • Haha 1

A couple of mine unintentionally ended up with food-related nicknames. A white/white/maple Jake with white headstock face was known as 'the ice-cream bass', and a fiesta red CV 60s P became 'the tomato soup bass'. They're both gone, though, so all I have right now which fits the brief is one with a brown neck and roasted maple board that reminds me of millionaires shortbread.

• Haha 1

I had a yellow Fender Mike Dirnt bass that my wife called Custard Cream.

In 1967, the Honda F1 car was fast but heavy and had the nickname the white whale. I had a white Honda Integra Type R which was given the same nickname.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

what's wrong wie Dave :laugh1:

Dave :biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

what's wrong wie Dave :laugh1:

Dave :biggrin:

Well, if you can convince me why Dave is a better name than Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 9th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels who dance with the leaders of Men then I'll consider a re-naming one of my basses to just Dave 🤣

Edited by Linus27
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Well, if you can convince me why Dave is a better name than Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 9th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels who dance with the leaders of Men then I'll consider a re-naming one of my basses to just Dave 🤣

No problemo, but i would have to write it down !!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

How about "Dave Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 9th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels Who Dance with the Leaders of Men", then?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now you're just being silly. If you'd said Dave Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 10th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels Who Dance with the Leaders of Men, I'd have been with you all the way.

• Haha 1

I've owned this bass 33 years now. I did hundreds and hundres of gigs with it. Literally 100 a year for nearly 20 years.

My wife named it 'Old Faithfull' because I was playing it when we first met (and she plays bass too, so recognised it when we eventually got together 16 years ago)

any excuse to post a picture

Fender P bass 1975 003.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Fair point. 😃

Dave 'Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 9th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels who dance with the leaders of Men' the bass player.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your other post and I see it's taken by 'Lord Jimmy of the Gates of Hell in the 10th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels Who Dance with the Leaders of Men.'

Edited by Franticsmurf

25 minutes ago, lidl e said:

What is going on in those first frets? Is that a logo or some kind of microtonal deal?

Extended fretboard, the extra 2 frets mean I can have open D.

Similar to the Kubicki, but it's a bendwell next to them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Extended fretboard, the extra 2 frets mean I can have open D.

Similar to the Kubicki, but it's a bendwell next to them.

Right. I remeber that kubicki contraption.  

Cool stuff. Self made or are they a brand?