Why become a member? ×

Chris showing us how to break the fretless playing mold.

bubinga5

I don't know about Chris McBride @bubinga5, but Man, that Drummer!! 👏👏👏

I don't play music like that, nor can I play bass like that, but I do like George Duke and his music... It's always had a good, positive vibe about it. 

And isn't it great that audiences enjoy and respect great musicianship and that there's the space for musicians to be able to express themselves so freely ? 

But, going back to your original point, I agree with you about the use of vibrato by some fretless bass players - used too much and it tends to overshadow everything else good in the bass part... For want of a better analogy, a bit like overseasoning a simple meal with really good ingredients.. 

But I think in some genres of music, it's actually expected to be there as part of the sound - like slap bass in certain types of funk music - and this is one of those genres. 

• Like 3

I would say (certainly with a covers band) it totally depends on which song the fretless bass is part of.

Some songs would demand it, some not.

On certain songs from the Paul Young 'No Parlez' and beyond stuff, Pino Palladino played fretless straight with little to no vibrato.

Jack Bruce with Cream too. 

If it enhances what's going on with the bassline, fair enough.

Can't say it's ever bugged me watching someone playing fretless with vibrato though..

Mwaaah 😊

This is how I play fretless too, but there's a lot of classical vibrato in here, and tons of mwah, so that typical growly fretless sound.

Excellent stuff for sure, but what else would you expect from George Duke and Christian McBride, but what a fantastic drummer indeed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

If i see another ( how to play fretless video) ive never understood why bass players have to do endless vibrato on a fretless. It has a certain sound but for gods sake stop . George Duke with  Chris Mcbride. 

What's Your point on - playing fretless another way ? He plays it well, like others would - lower notes without vibrato, solo and higher with lot's of it. That is the way I play my fretless and i think others do.

23 hours ago, Hellzero said:

there's a lot of classical vibrato in here, and tons of mwah, so that typical growly fretless sound.

Excellent stuff for sure, but what else would you expect from George Duke and Christian McBride, but what a fantastic drummer indeed!

Totally agree.

👍

Great stuff but what're you on about @bubinga5? Literally the first note he plays is the archetypical fretless "slide up and apply vibrato"

I'm sure that like loads of us of a certain age, he was influenced even if only subconsciously by Jaco - just listen to the harmonic chords he throws in towards the middle - but he uses it well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ead said:

That's one of those vids that just make me hide my fretless basses and pretend I only play P basses due to my (more apparent now) talent deficit :(

I know that feeling! Annnnd back in the case it goes... 😅