Why become a member? ×

Difference between a jazz guitarist and a rock guitarist

Steve Howe's the closest my interested ears have got to enjoying a rock/jazz* sort of thing - or is he just an aimless noodler on a jazz-style guitar with briliant taste? 

*I don't mean proper fusion. If there is such a thing. Al Di Meola can certainly noodle in a 3 minute context.

Wunderbar

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 13:46, paul_5 said:

IME Jazz guitarists know more than just a pentatonic scale.

I’m reminded of a time that a rock guitarist joined me for a session in a jazz group. Seeing a few bars of Dm7 on the chart he asked what he might be expected to play over that. 
I suggested D dorian/C major to keep it simple. 
“What? Don’t know it!”

“What scales do you know, then?”

”The blues scale, and the other one.”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

How about https://youtu.be/3U_jem9q_mg ?

I think the bass helps a lot on this one though. 

John McLaughlin riff is just hypnotic on Right Off.

Yesternow, the only other tune on that record is excellent too, that said.

One of, if not my favourite Miles Davis record and tune.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JellyKnees said:

Andy Summers and Robert Fripp are 2 examples of great rock guitarists who came from a jazz background. The idea that the 2 genres are somehow mutually exclusive is nonsense.

Alex Skolnick - Testament

Chris Poland - Megadeth

Both jazzers.

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2023 at 09:48, JellyKnees said:

Andy Summers and Robert Fripp are 2 examples of great rock guitarists who came from a jazz background. The idea that the 2 genres are somehow mutually exclusive is nonsense.

Several of the top metal drummers have trained in jazz. They've realised that the technical skills from jazz help them create really interesting heavy drum parts such as what this genius does. 

On 23/07/2023 at 14:16, SteveXFR said:

Several of the top metal drummers have trained in jazz. They've realised that the technical skills from jazz help them create really interesting heavy drum parts such as what this genius does. 

Nice, reminds me of Bill Bruford, another drummer who spanned the jazz and rock worlds

Edited by JellyKnees

31 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

Nice, reminds me of Bill Brufford, another drummer who spanned the jazz and rock worlds

Mario does one of these solo composition videos each year as a way to push his creativity and playing and then uses bits of it for the bands new material. 

I think he's up there with Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart and Danny Carey for technique and skill.

I'll check out Bill Brufford

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2023 at 14:16, SteveXFR said:

Neil Cooper, drummer in Therapy? has some great jazz chops. Sadly I don't think he has recorded anything in this genre. 

If we are going to cultivate stereotypes, as this thread seems to encourage, I suppose in general jazz guitarists, or rock guitarists who also happens to be jazz guitarists, in general will be more well versed in music theory, overall have better chops, and be better at improvising, while I guess rock guitarists, or jazz guitarists who also happens to be rock guitarists, in general might be better at playing with their instrument slung down around their knees caps, and running around, dance and/or perform acrobatics while playing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash